+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Recommended Suppliers Thread, Decent Printer Cartridge Replacements in Purchasing and Trading; Hi, I'm wondering which companies people use to replace their printer cartridges, both laser and inkjet. Is there any particular ...

Thank Post

Decent Printer Cartridge Replacements

Hi,

I'm wondering which companies people use to replace their printer cartridges, both laser and inkjet.

Is there any particular issues with using generic cartridges or do you stick to the manufacturer's own??

I'm a new ICT co-ordinator in a primary school and am looking for ways to make my budget go that little bit further!!

Thanks in advance

Thank Post

Re: Decent Printer Cartridge Replacements

I have my cartridges refilled at my local Cartridge World and only get replacements if I have too (and from them as well)

They are a franchise so one shop may be better than another so YMMV.

regards

Simon

Thank Post

I use compatibles and have the occasional problem with an ink cartridge but if I phone them up and complain they send me out a new one. I use the company inkjet and toners. Never had a problem with toner.

Thank Post

I use HP printers exclusively and have found it best to use original cartridges only. I buy these from Thomas Computer Supplies (whose number I don't have to hand).

It all depends on the make/model/type of printer in question - some have chips and the like which can throw them out of whack if you don't use genuine supplies.

To help keep costs down I recommend some kind of print quota software - by limiting and tracking usage you can make big savings!

EDIT - Forgot to mention that, if you have the space, buy a year's supply at once to get a better deal. If you're new to the job you won't know how much you need but most modern printers have clever little gubbins in the web interface or printer driver that will work this out for you.

Oh yeah - NEVER buy from Millenium Computer Supplies and try to avoid those companies that ring you up offering to sell you cheap stuff... they generally aren't that cheap.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I'd also strongly advise against remanufactured toners for HP laserjets. We had some Longbow ones a while ago, and just about every other toner we got would either jam (cogs making clicking sound once installed) or toner would leak.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts

We used to use inkjets and toners but I switched to a localish company as I like to use them were I can. Any problems are sorted out easily and quickly.

Some compatible manfacturers seem better than others and my supplier can get me ones from various makers and warehouses in the UK.

Only ones we don't use compatibles in are ones that aren't available such as the Konica Minolta 5440DL's

Ben

Thank Post

I forgot to mention too... you should also decide whether the printers you have are efficient. It will probably save you money in the long run (although there may be a little capital outlay). This is especially true in primary schools that seem to collect those silly little inkjets that cost silly money to run.

I just changed 2 of my Business Inkjet 1100dn printers for 3000n ones. I worked out today that these are costing 2.5p a page less to run! I team these up with Laserjet 4050tn mono printers which cost less than 1p a page to print.

I know it is sad knowing all this but printers are the bane of my existance. Take my advice and put a Laserjet 4000n/4050n and a networked business inkjet in each room and you will be laughing.

If you have a leased photocopier then make sure that when that is replaced next, you have it networked so that your admin staff (at a minimum) can take advantage of the super low running costs on that.

I agree with the network copier option. Great way of moving printing costs from your IT budget to the admin budget.

Thank Post

All your ideas are great, but we are just so far behind all you guys, we have a networked ICT suite leased from RM (before my time) with a storebox and 2 HP laserjets (1020 b&w and a 2550 - colour). No other network around the school apart from a wireless connection routed through the school office network into 3 classes (out of 12).

We have a real mish mash of printers in classrooms mainly Canons and Epsons with a smattering of HP deskjets mixed in. To refill each deskjet printer I would need to order 18 different types of cartridges including 9 of the HP variety.

What would your suggestion be, seeing as you now have a basic understanding of my situation? Is it possible to hook the 3 computers in the wireless connected classrooms into the schoolshare network in the Suite and make them print to the laserjets?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 765 Posts

Hi there I run a CC3 network approx 250 workstations plus 50 laptops and the first thing i did when building the network was getting rid of inkjet printers as they are a waste of money. we used to have about 10 inkjet printers of all kinds and in the first year of taking on the position the costs were approx £1500 and performance was crap (kids would hang around for ages waiting for print jobs) so with a little capital outlay over the next two years i introduced HP and kyocera laserjets colour and mono. I now have 20 networked printers over the whole school and costs are at £2000 per annum but production off these printers has increased by as much as 800%. the kids are pleased cos they can obtain their work quickly and is of high quality. A company that I recommend is XMA and they are the cheapest in the country or will price match. Also a website i would have a look at is www.fixyourownprinter.com OK.

Thank Post

I agree with many of the comments already made. Try to draw up a plan to replace injets with colour lasers, which generally work out cheaper despite initial purchase costs. The only time to use colour inkjets is when you require good quality colour picture printing.

In the meantime, have a printer set aside as a spare or backup, this could be a standalone machine you can connect to a workstation/desktop if needed oe it could be a printer permamently connected on your network. When a printer cartridge needs replacing, disconnect that printer and employ the spare/backup printer in its place.

Remove the cartridge and pop down to your local Cartridge World to have it refilled. Put the refilled cartridge back into the printer immediately and then reconnect the printer. I find it is not advisable to have refilled cartridges 'lying around' waiting to be used, which is why I suggest refitting it immediately.
    Some branches of Cartridge World seem to do a collect and deliver service, ask your nearest branch and let them know you could become a regular customer.
    This process should work fine unless more than one printer 'goes down' st the same time.
    You may find that certain times of year produce higher than average demands upon printer ink; report writing time, for example. Try to anticipate this and make sure you have enough spare cartridges or backup printing, just in case!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

I used to use IJT and there inks were shocking! Never again for them, tried some of the new CLJ4600 compat toners they were flogging and again they were just as bad as the last lot, but I did get my free genuines as promised in the letter. I now use Abacus Direct, I can PM you the details if you want them, they are based in Bristol I think and are fine, great goods and service.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I've always been very wary of refills and compatibles after I've seen several inkjets get destroyed by them (Epsons of course). We did try some compatibles for our Laserjet 2100/2200s a while back too and those were horrific. Frequent jams, poor quality and they never lasted as long. After a while I said "No more compatibles" and things have been peachy ever since.

Thank Post

I'll admit straight up front that I'm biased having looked at this problem and come up with a business service based around it so take my "advice" with a pinch of salt... Anyway here's a sideways step.

Getting high powered network machines is all well and good if you have the budget but as most primaries have only a few K to kick around for everything, you might want to consider getting a couple of good quality inkjets and installing a Continuous Ink Supply on them.

No idea if this is against policy on linking but you can see a bunch of facts and figures, etc.. on my current (rather poor) website here:
    http://www.octoink.co.uk/

... saves me having to repeat all the info again...

They key way to make something like inkjets work though is to centralise them more (either by networking or designating "printing machines") and use them regularly. That goes for any inkjet or you end up, as you've found, with a whole mix of printers, most of which don't work too well.

As with anything else though there's a cost involved and you need to get hold of good CIS kits, quality inks, etc.. I'd be happy to share some of my trade secrets but obviously not all as it's something that helps pay the bills. :P

Oh and there's ways to make your inkjet last longer by modifying them further with things like external waste ink tanks (mainly useful on Epsons which chuck out waste ink).

Just one word of warning though, avoid the cheap colour lasers as they tend to kill you on consumables despite their initial cheap purchase price... but then that's often the name of the printing game.

Thank Post

Always use branded cartridges - always have had problems with refilled toners. Consumable budget here though is through the roof so will be looking at a monitorring system very very soon.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast