+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Recommended Suppliers Thread, Ramesys Network installation in Purchasing and Trading; Hi all, We are thinking of having a completely new "vanilla" network installed and have looked at a company called ...
    Thank Post

Ramesys Network installation

Hi all,

We are thinking of having a completely new "vanilla" network installed and have looked at a company called Ramesys to do it. Anyone have any dealings with this company? Are they any good?

Many thanks.

Andy

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,460 Posts

Re: Ramesys Network installation

Not for hardware or installs but if they are the same company and I presume they are then I use them to buy all my educational licences from.

Not had any problems with them from that point of view.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Never had any dealings with them for hardware installations but for software purchases they are first class.

Wes

Thank Post

Same here, software purchases great, not used for nor even knew they did maintenance/installations.

Thank Post

software first class even a nice follow up phone calll last time we ordered from them (its the little things), also didint realise thye did hardware installations.

Thank Post

Disclaimer: opinion may be tainted as a result of experiencing ramesys via embc.

Good points:

The engineers we've had on site were very good, knew their stuff and stayed until the problem was fixed and tested. They've usually been fixing something rather than creating something new.

Once you get to the right person, things get solved fast and technical managers there are accessible.

Bad points:

<Anecdote> Once upon a time, as part of a managed services contract (before my time) they deployed a service pack to a BDC they had no business touching and broke it quite badly. </Anecdote>

TBH the problems we have had with them are more a result of no clear delination between Ramesys / Embc / Netlinc than Ramesys themselves being at fault. (i.e "are we supposed to patch that server?..... dunno."

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hmm, we have had BAD experiences with Ramesys. They were very VERY far off when it came to explaining our Schools agreement. Also EVERY year they would get our quote for what we had wrong (20 sms servers were added one year and enabled!)
    It has been nothing but a complete disaster with them, now in the process of switching to Pugh who have always been good (thats one of the reasons we found out what a mess Ramesys had made with our schools agreement).

Just whats happened here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

I use Ramesys for software, brilliant, as for Pugh, I cba to waste valuable forum space talking about the waste of space they are.

Thank Post

Any reason that you are not doing it yourself? I'm sure a local EduGeek member would be happy to help on a consultancy basis. You'd still save a few thousand and you will definately end up with a network suited to your needs, rather than a generic one that a 3rd party decides will fit your needs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,115 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ramesys aren't too bad on most of these things ... I have chatted with some of their guys who do installs and they are a good bunch (and I think a few lurk here too actually ... I know some of them do visit occasionally)

We are looking to use them for a Learning Gateway install and I'll be visiting a few of their case study schools in the next few weeks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts

Why a vanilla? do you have anything against RM. I have found that over a period of 4 years that all in all the network that i am in charge of runs sweetly and efficiently with very little downtime. You don't have to do everything the RM way when buying workstations or peripherals as you can purchase these seperate from RM. Just Buy your servers from them and they will commision them to your spec then just let your imagination do the rest. I can have a 3.0Ghz 512Mb with solid glass screen XP pro Office2003 license plus RM connect license for the grand total of £594 with 3 years onsite warranty. Some people slate RM but they don't need to as I have found their system to be very flexible indeed plus with all the Admin tools you get it's well worth the connect license if it makes your job that little bit easier. Not everyone will agree but you cant please everyone all of the time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts

I would like t add that the catholic school accross the road from us has in the past 4 years had three network installs from various consultancy firms Ranger, fujitsu and now tulip and each time they have had a nightmare.
    Vanilla is just a flavour, some like it some don't but with any network you have to contend with little faults. How u solve them is the key.
    We all have a difficult enough job as it is without making it harder for ourselves.
    God bless the IT techies of this forum for giving us all something to hang on to...............hope with a little bit of humour
    Thank you all

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,115 Posts
    Blog Entries

If RM CC3 does the business for you then brilliant ... it all depends on your situation and the amount of support you have.

Some schools prefer vanilla systems as they want and need flexibility to allow them to evelove and innovate ... there is the risk with this that things could go wrong ...

Everything balances out.

I tend to favour vanilla installs done by the school themselves as this means that the in-house support has the expertise to sort any problems out.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I agree with what you're saying Tony.

But if like our place (me and bossman) only have a Network Manager to cover all the IT, a vanilla network would be a horrendous nightmare to manage on your own. Not that a CC3 network necessarrily means one person can manage it full time either

Obviously every school is different and whatever works for them is good

Thank Post

re vanilla / non-vanilla.

I come from a vanilla (non-edu) background, so prefer them and built our new network that way.

The less cruft I paste on top of the standard network components, the easier it is to troubleshoot when things go wrong - less points of failure, plus I can get help from conventional IT forums (as well as Edugeek).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast