+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Recommended Suppliers Thread, Laptop Cabinets... any suggestions? in Purchasing and Trading; Hey all, (this is my first post here so be nice!) I'm looking to pick up 2 laptop cabinets, with ...

Thank Post

Arrow Laptop Cabinets... any suggestions?

Hey all,

(this is my first post here so be nice!)

I'm looking to pick up 2 laptop cabinets, with charging facilities if possible. Have any of you any ideas as to who to speak to first?

I've heard good things about lapsafe, has anyone else got one?

Thanks
    D

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dazb2004 View Post
    Hey all,

I'm looking to pick up 2 laptop cabinets, with charging facilities if possible. Have any of you any ideas as to who to speak to first?

Thanks
    D
    Hiya D,

We are an official suppier of Lapsafe Products which are the Rolls Royce of laptop cabinets,
    If you would like me to spec and price up any particular models be sure to pm me your requirements and I will put together a bespoke package for you straight away,
    We are also an official sponsor of Edugeek and Im sure you will find some great testimonials about Computer Products Ltd on here,

I look foward to hearing from you,

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dazb2004 View Post
    Hey all,

Thanks
    D

A lot of us gave up on the laptop cabinets as it was a big hype to have this mobile learning and wifi heaven...

but in reality it was a massive joke as laptops got broken, chargers lost, too long to set up at the start of the lesson, laptops ran out of power and ..

all these pictures of students in the sunny outdoors smiling in extacy with their wifi laptop in their lapdoing school work... well we all know how hard it is to see a laptop screen outdoors on a sunny day :-)

we will never go back to laptops for student work..

Thank Post
    we have lapsafes, they are expensive, and the custom power supplies makes using different laptops a case of paying more for them to change the internals. We found the keypad alarm system was not convenient to use, and the design of the cabinets could be improved in a number of simple ways.
    The last ones we bought were from elseware, simpler less fancy still good quality and hell of a sight cheaper and not laptop specific as used laptops own power supplies.

Thank Post
    Lapsafe are nice kit, but a few caveats.

You can't always be there to stop teachers and kids wheeling them around while still plugged in, so replacing the power cables and RJ45 leads and sockets on the back of the unit is a regular task, and the keys/locks are flimsy and get broken too. The charger leads can get trapped in the doors too. Change your laptops in a couple of years and you will need to get the charging system modified.

The benefits don't really justify the extra expense over a standard steel box lapbank for me.

Thank Post
    I wouldn't recommend LapCabby either. I really hate how all of the power supplies get 'shoved' in the bottom. Also the positioning of the power cables means they can get run over by the trolley.

In fact if I'm honest I hate laptops and laptop trolleys in schools. They cause nothing but problems.

Thank Post
    We use Lapbank trollys. I've found them to be some of the most robust and sturdy laptop cabinets I've ever come across, but they are expensive.

Lapbank secure laptop storage trolleys and safes with charging and networking options from Loxit Products

Mike.

Thank Post
    Hi

I have 2 bretford cabs both taking 16 laptops each, from viglen

Viglen - Products - Peripherals - Laptop Trollies - Bretford, Lapsafe and LapCabby

I would say they are good, dont get a 30 trolley as the 16 is a heavy unit and needs to be moved only by adults.

On the other hand i hate laptop trolleys and if it was up to me no matter what make they would be in the skip.

Trying to get 30 laptops with wireless connection takes too long to boot even with 2 ap's aswell as making sure they are on charge. Every time i walk past they have post it notes on saying they are not working (normally the wifi switch is off or they are set to log in locally) post it notes go straight in the bin!!! im sure most people on here would agree we are all busy enough without the addition of the trolleys.

Cooper

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    Hi

I have 2 bretford cabs both taking 16 laptops each, from viglen

Viglen - Products - Peripherals - Laptop Trollies - Bretford, Lapsafe and LapCabby

I would say they are good, dont get a 30 trolley as the 16 is a heavy unit and needs to be moved only by adults.

On the other hand i hate laptop trolleys and if it was up to me no matter what make they would be in the skip.

Trying to get 30 laptops with wireless connection takes too long to boot even with 2 ap's aswell as making sure they are on charge. Every time i walk past they have post it notes on saying they are not working (normally the wifi switch is off or they are set to log in locally) post it notes go straight in the bin!!! im sure most people on here would agree we are all busy enough without the addition of the trolleys.

Cooper
    Looking at those the power supplies must sit next to the laptops as there are no other compartments?

Thank Post
    Bretfords have a small Power Supply pocket, open at each end, positioned at the top of each laptop bay.
    This way the hot PS does not bake the laptop battery

I put the power supplies in back to front i.e mains end comes out the front of the bay and the laptop voltage comes out at the back, and probably should loop it through another turn, to tidy the cables and stop the PS from being dislodged.

Thank Post
    We have two Monarch (Lapcabby?) trolleys here. They look good compared to the rubbish we had before, but having only just put one trolley into use it's difficult to say what the long term verdict will be!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joe90bass View Post
    We have two Monarch (Lapcabby?) trolleys here. They look good compared to the rubbish we had before, but having only just put one trolley into use it's difficult to say what the long term verdict will be!
    We had a few of those at my last school, and they were quite durable. Personally thou I've never liked the cabinets where the laptops are held vertically, I always think they're more likey to be damaged being stored like that.

Mike.

Thank Post
    We've got 2 lapsafe's, 2 lapbank's and 2 ones I made myself out of mdf!

The lapsafe's are good, but after 5 years of heavy usage, our oldest one is begining to pack up - a lot of the charging leads are starting to break.

The lapbank's are very sturdy, and if you get any problems with a charger it can easily be replaced.

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    I wouldn't recommend LapCabby either. I really hate how all of the power supplies get 'shoved' in the bottom. Also the positioning of the power cables means they can get run over by the trolley.

In fact if I'm honest I hate laptops and laptop trolleys in schools. They cause nothing but problems.

Couldn't agree more.

Thank Post

LapSafe trolley

Hi D, also my first post... we bought a LapSafe way back in 2001. After about 6 years we phoned them up because we wanted to try out their new charging. They offered to buy back the old trolley. Customer service was really good.

They explained two types of charging. One uses laptop's own AC packs, other quicker way is pre-configured leads.

We went for pre-configured leads as I teach primary so makes it a lot faster and easier with kids. Also we tend to change laptops every 3 years because of battery life. They said we could just update leads if it was necessary. Previous lapsafe had the power packs and I kept losing them to kids and other teachers misplacing them..

I also heard that the laptops charge quicker in lapsafe trolleys than other ones.

We got a 20 laptop storage trolley, okay to push. Hope this helps...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast