+ Post New Thread
Recommended Suppliers Thread, Visualisers in Purchasing and Trading; Hi, We are looking to buy our first visualiser; preferably a Lumens DC160. Could anyone recommend good suppliers near to ...
    TG1

Thank Post

Visualisers

Hi,
    We are looking to buy our first visualiser; preferably a Lumens DC160. Could anyone recommend good suppliers near to the Bournemouth -> Southampton area?

Many Thanks
    Tracy

Thank Post
    Think long and hard before any purchase. I have 11 of these and all but 1 are now sat under the teachers desk never been used even after several training session. And the one in use is used about once a term if that.

They are a nice idea but not a wise investment from my experience.

Thank Post
    We have supplied to schools nationwide as the warranty is backed by Lumens so there isnt a problem with aftersales. At the end of the day it is a glorified OHP of which plugs into a projector. In the right environment they do have their use although i would never suggest buying in quantity as this type of product would not be used in lessons on a daily basis.

Thank Post
    We have one here and is generally kept in one of our science labs and is used pretty often showing experiments as it is attached to the projector. I am probably going to buy some webcams this year for the remaining science labs as these will do a similar job for less money.

I think they work well also for peer assessment putting student work under them and let the rest of the class criticise.

I pinched this a while ago - it may have even been from here with ideas on what to do with a visualiser:

-To show/share 'wet' and dry art work.
    -To show/share 3-D artwork.
    -To show/share/annotate children's writing/calculations.
    -To show/study an historical artefact.
    -To show/share/capture/annotate an historical document/map.
    -To observe minibeasts.
    -To model a technique such as how to use a ruler/protractor, how to form letters, how to join two pieces of wood, how to solder a circuit board, how to thread a needle etc.
    -To capture texts/books to make into 'big' books in IWB software (modify or remove text in, say, ORT reading books to make rub and reveal activities, write your own text etc). Add speech bubbles/thought bubbles to characters in reading books.
    -Use it as a webcam and hold a video conference with it.
    -Use it to take snapshots/captures that you then make into an animation with 2Animate or Photostory3.
    -Look in detail at a leaf/bread/skin etc.
    -Look inside a child's mouth.
    -Look at a shell/fircone/flower.
    -Quickly display a child's individual whiteboard.
    -Whilst doing register, share the thing a kid has brought in to 'show' the class (swimming certificate etc).
    -To prepare fabulous IWB resources that incorporate 'snapshots' from children's exercise books, text books, illustrations etc.
    * Sharing books with the whole class - saves photocopying lots of sheets, or having to hunt down big books.
    * Sharing children's work - at the end of an activity - highlighting strengths and suggesting possible improvements. We do this a lot and the children really like to see their work up on the big screen.
    * Modelling - allows you to demonstrate close-up skills easily to the whole class.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TG1 View Post
    We are looking to buy our first visualiser
    It's a webcam. Onastick. For 550. You could buy a 10 webcam and a science lab retort stand and get a similar effect (half resolution, no optical zoom), or a new 150 MiniDV camcorder and get 3/4 resolution and better optical zoom, or a new 350 HD camcorder and get better resolution and much better (45X) optical zoom.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Hold on everyone

IM(H)O visualisers are the next "must have" projector/iwb classroom setup accessory. (In primaries anyway)

5/7 years ago - people needed a projector - then proj and IWB - then a sound system and then a combo video/dvd and then a scanner. Today - you add a visualiser into the equation.

You can buy an Avermedia for less than 250 that does a good job. (I'm sure that the more expensive ones do more but I don't need more)

I'd have had them 5 years ago but they cost an arm an a leg in those days.

Teachers LOVE them - they can finally do pretty much anything they want with their "electronic" classroom without restriction.

You just introduce them by just switching between PC and camera- next week you show them the freeze button - next week you show them how to use it to take pictures/instant scanner - they are so grateful - they give you presents :-)

My mission this year is to persuade heads who don't necessarily think the teachers should have the best tools for the job that this is one of best uses they can put their money to.

The heads that don't need to be told this take one look at 1 in action and ask me to get them for each class

Just to be balanced - the Avermedia 130s I bought last year don't have lights but for 40 they can be added and that's what I'll be doing for the ones I bought last year - I believe the replacement model comes with a light and will still cost less than 250 but I've not bought one yet. (Lights needed if you had old projector where the teacher has to close the blinds and switch the lights off to see the projector image on the screen - they are not really needed if you can run the classroom with main lights on.

Final note - when these cost 1000 - i used to think I could do the job with a webcam on a cheap arm - tried it - couldn't read the writing on a book.

Now with webcams having higher resolution - it might be feasible to try again - but the ease of use/value for money equation tells be to just buy the device for the job (plus the visualiser goes straight to the projector - so you are always going to get better quaility as no conversion process is involved)

Must stop - talking - off to help daughter with paper round

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Must stop - talking - off to help daughter with paper round
    Now I understand why you're grumpy

Thank Post
    Now I understand why you're grumpy
    - mm - the end of term beers and curry last night probably hasn't helped either

Si

PS for confused others - this is a ref to another thread this morning

TG1

Thank Post
    Thank you so much fpr your replies, it is interesting to see such a mixed reaction to their use. We are Foundation and KS1 so I will keep you posted if it ends up in a dusty cupboard by the end of the year!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information