+ Post New Thread
Raspberry Pi, Arduino & Other SBCs Thread, Logo / Control application in Technical; @Turbo-FB please move to somewhere else if more appropriate. I can see the usage in a classroom as a controller ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts

Logo / Control application

@Turbo-FB please move to somewhere else if more appropriate.

I can see the usage in a classroom as a controller for a Turtle like device, think back to good old fashioned Logo, or the current Roamer and similar devices. You could use RasPi to do the programming and also add the extra dimension of building it into the vehicle, and maybe even communicate by wifi...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    @Turbo-FB please move to somewhere else if more appropriate.

I can see the usage in a classroom as a controller for a Turtle like device, think back to good old fashioned Logo, or the current Roamer and similar devices. You could use RasPi to do the programming and also add the extra dimension of building it into the vehicle, and maybe even communicate by wifi...
    I spoke to ZeroHour about the forums last week, but as these are new we're only going to start moving into sub-forums once we have enough content to actually spread out.

Back on-topic:

Hi Vikpaw,

A few people have suggested using the RasPi as a brain for a spine of Aurdinos.
    The logic goes, that the RasPi is more powerfull, is visual, and easier to program, but the Aurdino and shields are ideally suited to connecting motors, relays, etc.etc. without needing to use something like the GertBoard.

Personally I'd like to see them used to teach proper parralel/multi-threaded/grid programming instead of just running a traditional app over multiple cores.

You could have an 8 port switch with 7 RasPis and an uplink cable and treat it like a grid or cloud compute resource?

Can you image kids leaving school having passed an exam with an Amazon EC2 project or RasPi equivalent project.

They would be (dare I say it) "Employable".

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    That is an even better idea.
    Actually, thinking of linking them together in a bank, last year i did a proof of concept with a colleague, using multiple iMacs as slaves to render images, using Blender and Farmerjoe - it was bulky and cumbersome. Even though the power wouldn't be there in a RasPi necessarily, the theory would work, and be so much easier with smaller devices.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread