+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Raspberry Pi, Arduino & Other SBCs Thread, Raspberry Pi Ideas in Technical; Originally Posted by X-13 If you can find linux software that does it, it should be pretty straight forward. Install ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    If you can find linux software that does it, it should be pretty straight forward.

Install the software, connect to the network, connect to monitor, start software.

Maybe make a start up script, so it runs automagically when it's powered on.

It'll have to run from battery unless you want to wire up a mains supply.

Yeah i was pretty much in that kinda ball park with where to go. Im not 100% on linux but seems like a fun little project to do as with many other ideas.

Thank Post
    My first thoughts:

-In-car computer! Wireless device needed though for ideal usage.
    -Whiteboard PC! Got a couple of rooms that would really benefit from these things. I'm thinking I can build it into a wall-mounted housing, and invest in a wireless keyboard/presenter mouse, and attach to smartboard. It should handle 90% of classroom use. run a USB socket for plugging in USB memory sticks for getting files to it.

The possibilities are almost beyond comprehension tbh. The next model I'd like to see with a wireless module. Yes it'd be more expensive, but would massively boost how and where it can be used.
    I'd also like to see a dual memory card option, or a built in storage chip + memory card slot. I'd love to be able to have a data drive + an OS drive, without messing with USB portable hard drives.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    Whiteboard PC! Got a couple of rooms that would really benefit from these things. I'm thinking I can build it into a wall-mounted housing, and invest in a wireless keyboard/presenter mouse, and attach to smartboard.
    You'll have to write a driver for the Smartboard - it might be easier to build your own IWB from scratch. Wireless should work okay via a USB adaptor, I think there's a list of tested ones somewhere, and it's the kind of thing that will get sorted out pretty quickly. Same with second memory card slot - easy enough to add via USB.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    You'll have to write a driver for the Smartboard - it might be easier to build your own IWB from scratch. Wireless should work okay via a USB adaptor, I think there's a list of tested ones somewhere, and it's the kind of thing that will get sorted out pretty quickly. Same with second memory card slot - easy enough to add via USB.
    Indeed you can, but it's as much about cost and compactness, and USB power.

Add a Mouse, Keyboard, USB wireless, and USB memory card reader to a single USB port on any desktop, and you'll have all sorts of trouble. Also every one of these addons has bulky or annoying casings and other rubbish with them, that could fairly simply be included on the board by the manufacturer.

Thank Post
    LIMITED EDITION RPi CASE!

Be sure to read the questions and note feedback ;D

Thank Post
    Anyone planning on using these with primary school kids?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattDLEA View Post
    Anyone planning on using these with primary school kids?
    depends what my finding are

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    My first thoughts:

-In-car computer! Wireless device needed though for ideal usage.
    Indeed!

I wanted to build something into my show car but the smallest TomTom has such a tiny ribbon cable on the screen you can't really take it apart and relocate components... in theory the Pi would be ideal for this but it'll need...

- touchscreen
    - GPS module
    - TomTom-alike open source navigation software

Would be awesome though

I like the idea of compartmentalising each component so they can be placed wherever needed then linked back to the main board separately... gives so much flexibility at that point...

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Looking at the first impressions of the board it acts like a 300mhz PII.

Theres no way it will be fast enough to do a lot of the things some people want it to.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Looking at the first impressions of the board it acts like a 300mhz PII.

Theres no way it will be fast enough to do a lot of the things some people want it to.
    possibly depends on os overheads and what its optimized to do. If its been optimized at hardware level to decode video/audio it dosent need to be that powerful. Look at dvd players they have very little processing power but play a dvd betetr than a much more powerful computer (granted a slow by todays standards but i can remember pcs struggling to play a dvd in the past)

Thank Post
    All I want my Raspi to do is to stream NetFlix to my TV. Not sure how to do this yet as I know that Netflix won't work on Firefox for Linux and the Raspi runs Linux. That said - I won't be doing anything until my raspi arrives.

Thank Post
    Emulator? There are a few out there that might be useful in getting a head start...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,449 Posts
    Could it be used as a powerful wearable PVR?

Hook up a "cheap" "high quality" usb camera and a battery pack seems it would work better than commercial offerings? start stop button via usb or other gpio pins maybe?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you look at the pics I posted up here: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/raspi-...cro-shots.html you will notice a coupel of ribbon connectors. These will be used (apparently) as connectors for screens and other devices commonly found on smartphones as the chipset is derived from such devices. Not sure if that would make integration better/easier, but RP themselves have announced this on their front page the other week here: Model B schematics | Raspberry Pi

Now that there are Raspberry Pi boards in the wild, we thought it would be a good time to share our schematics with the world. In addition to giving you an idea of how the device works internally, these should also provide the information you need to build add-on boards which attach to the GPIO expansion connector and (in due course) the display and camera connectors.
    Note: developers of expansion boards should not rely on the connection of expansion connector pins 9, 14, 20 and 25 to GND, pin 4 to 5V or pin 17 to 3V3 and should instead treat these pins as DNC (do not connect). They may be used to expose additional GPIO lines on a subsequent revision of the board.
    I'll move this to the RP forums now and once we get the 'Pi-in-the-sky' forum up and running will move it into there.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast