+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Raspberry Pi, Arduino & Other SBCs Thread, Raspberry Pi Ideas in Technical; Originally Posted by teejay Is it just me though who thinks these are going to be rarer than rocking horse ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Is it just me though who thinks these are going to be rarer than rocking horse droppings if they're only making them in batches of 10,000? It could really do with a big company or 2 getting behind this project so they can fund bigger production runs.
    I know what you mean but I think this first batch should be thought of as a wide scale beta program and market tester - if this first batch does well, I'm almost certain production will be stepped up a gear

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    My initial plan was to set up an emulator environment coupled with one of these: Retrode
    Not sure of the legality of it all now though after a discussion on here yesterday...
    If you're going to spend time and trouble writing / configuring an emulator then you might as well just get on and write your own game, even if it's your own version of a classic. A cheap bit of hardware with a whole slew of games available for it would help make it attractive to the kind of people who'll get it to play games, then wonder how you make your own games, etc. It wouldn't even be that difficult to sell it as a basic games console - just stick a case round it and sell games on SD card as game "cartridges".

I'm interested in how to use the Raspberry Pi to make a camera designed for use in the classroom. I'd aim for something waterproof, capable of lasting through the day, instant-on, automatic upload of images and videos via wireless and rechargeable via a charging cradle. Interestingly, the Raspberry Pi's low power consumption (1W) would seem to make it possible to simply keep it running the whole time, switched on and ready to take pictures - no start-up delay, just literally point and shoot. A camera add-on is promised soon(ish), along with an LCD screen, the difficult bit to figure out is going to be the charging cradle and charging mechanism. I was thinking of an inductive charge system similar to an electric toothbrush, making the camera a completly self-contained (and therefore waterproof) unit.

Thank Post
    Some fellows are trying to get RISC OS running on it, as it's ARM based.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    If you're going to spend time and trouble writing / configuring an emulator then you might as well just get on and write your own game, even if it's your own version of a classic. A cheap bit of hardware with a whole slew of games available for it would help make it attractive to the kind of people who'll get it to play games, then wonder how you make your own games, etc. It wouldn't even be that difficult to sell it as a basic games console - just stick a case round it and sell games on SD card as game "cartridges".
    Good ideas, but I wouldn't know where to begin writing an emulator! No, my plan is to simply compile an existing one for it - I've not looked yet, but I'm pretty sure there'll be some available...

I do also plan on making my own games/software for it and I'm hoping in doing so I can get my daughter interested! Although I might be on to a loser there...

Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I'm interested in how to use the Raspberry Pi to make a camera designed for use in the classroom. I'd aim for something waterproof, capable of lasting through the day, instant-on, automatic upload of images and videos via wireless and rechargeable via a charging cradle. Interestingly, the Raspberry Pi's low power consumption (1W) would seem to make it possible to simply keep it running the whole time, switched on and ready to take pictures - no start-up delay, just literally point and shoot. A camera add-on is promised soon(ish), along with an LCD screen, the difficult bit to figure out is going to be the charging cradle and charging mechanism. I was thinking of an inductive charge system similar to an electric toothbrush, making the camera a completly self-contained (and therefore waterproof) unit.
    I think this is a great idea, I saw your original discussion about this a few weeks back, there's genuine possibility for this to be a big seller... perhaps you could prototype one to start working on the software side using a USB webcam hooked up to a TV? No doubt things will need rewriting when the proper hardware is available, but at least it'd give you a head start!

Thank Post
    I'm very interested in this. I would even (after trying a beta board) offer to put some money behind a bigger production run.

Thank Post
    Just wondering if there has been any contact between Edugeek and the people behind it, would be great to have them at the conference or to have some discussion with them on here.

7. Thanks to teejay from:

ChrisH (23rd December 2011)

Thank Post
    Great idea to get some kind of relationship going with the rasperry PI project @Dos_Box

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeh really interested in this little machine as well.

So much I started a forum for it specifically for educational discussion

http://www.raspberrypiforums.com/

I can think of a hundred uses for a box like this but the main one I'm interested in is teaching kids how to code!
    Last edited by zag; 5th January 2012 at 12:11 PM.

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    I'm excited to get my hands on one or more of these.... Though they'll probably populate my gadget cupboard like every other thing does until I come up with a suitable use.... small backtrack 5 machine are my preliminary thoughts.

DT

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Just wondering if there has been any contact between Edugeek and the people behind it, would be great to have them at the conference or to have some discussion with them on here.
    Can you get one for the BETT stand?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Can you get one for the BETT stand?
    Doubtful - they're selling the first 10 beta boards on eBay right now (prices in the thousands) with production boards not due until the end of the month...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts
    I've just emailed Liz @ Rasberry Pi to see if there is any chance of getting one for the stand or if anyone is available from the charity to make an appearance.

Ben

Thank Post
    I was thinking mounting it to the back of a monitor then to the wall, connected to the network and then somehow let it display network status of servers, nas drives, virus alerts, helpdesk logs etc all displayed on one screen with a steady refresh rate.

I wouldnt know where to begin but it would be a nice idea.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I managed to pre order one this morning, but they are not in stock yet.

Not even for sale on one of the official sites!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,953 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by north-ict View Post
    I was thinking mounting it to the back of a monitor then to the wall, connected to the network and then somehow let it display network status of servers, nas drives, virus alerts, helpdesk logs etc all displayed on one screen with a steady refresh rate.

I wouldnt know where to begin but it would be a nice idea.

If you can find linux software that does it, it should be pretty straight forward.

Install the software, connect to the network, connect to monitor, start software.

Maybe make a start up script, so it runs automagically when it's powered on.

It'll have to run from battery unless you want to wire up a mains supply.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast