+ Post New Thread
Raspberry Pi, Arduino & Other SBCs Thread, Raspbmc remote control in Technical; Hi guys, Ive got my raspberry pi with raspbmc installed and set up perfectly. It works like a charm. to ...
    Thank Post

Raspbmc remote control

Hi guys,

Ive got my raspberry pi with raspbmc installed and set up perfectly. It works like a charm.

to make it a bit more user friendly for my other half, i bought a cheap remote contol off amazon.

i plugged it in and it worked for about 10 minutes and then the battery died. So I bought new batteries and they died in about 20 mins. obviously a faulty remote so I need to sort that out, but thats for another time.

I also have a media centre remote like this one. Its not this exact one but is very similar. On the back it says RC6 ir. I do not have the receiver for this.

My question is should I be able to use the remote with the ir receiver from amazon? If yes, how??

Thanks
    Last edited by Admiral208; 23rd January 2013 at 04:09 PM.

Thank Post
    bump anyone??

Thank Post
    I'm not sure - unless its a universal remote control, then it's probably keyed to a specific IR frequency - meaning that it will only work with the supplied IR sensor...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    I do not have the receiver for this.
    Without the receiver, it's not going to work.

Unfortunately, MCE remotes, which are quite prevalent amongst XBMC users, don’t work as well as they should and are best avoided at the moment. At a very basic level (which is my understanding of it) MCE remotes emit non-standard I.R. frequencies (about 56Khz), with standard frequencies being 38Khz. (Source)

Thank Post
    Got an Android phone, iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch? if so just get the Official XBMC remote control. Works like a dream and is feature packed! Plus it's FREE!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.remote&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/offi...520480364?mt=8

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg
    4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg
    Last edited by Rawns; 25th January 2013 at 09:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Got an Android phone, iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch? if so just get the Official XBMC remote control. Works like a dream and is feature packed! Plus it's FREE!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.remote&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/offi...520480364?mt=8

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg
    4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg
    Ive got this but its not very user friendly. Its great if you want to watch a film or scroll through tv shows, but as soon as the doorbell rings or you need to get up and do something and you have to quickly pause what your watching, you have to grab your phone, unlock it, load the app, find the Now Playing section... by that time, youve missed a minute of what youre watching and then you have to fuss around with trying to rewind it on your phone when you get back.

Its far too clunky and there are too many key presses for my liking. I want a physical remote that I can quickly press the buttons and so can my girlfriend without having to ask me how this funny app works on her phone.

Thank Post
    Ive got this but its not very user friendly. Its great if you want to watch a film or scroll through tv shows, but as soon as the doorbell rings or you need to get up and do something and you have to quickly pause what your watching, you have to grab your phone, unlock it, load the app, find the Now Playing section... by that time, youve missed a minute of what youre watching and then you have to fuss around with trying to rewind it on your phone when you get back.

Its far too clunky and there are too many key presses for my liking. I want a physical remote that I can quickly press the buttons and so can my girlfriend without having to ask me how this funny app works on her phone.
    I have to disagree. I think it's a great app that enhances the use of XBMC. It's very slick app and well designed taking full advantage of the touch screen devices. I have it on my droid and iPad and the wife has it on her iPhone and has no issues using it.

As for the whole "too many key presses", if you put it into the remote control mode and leave the app running, just unlock the phone and press the pause button - job done. Or enable the setting in app to disable the screen from locking so you have all the buttons immediately to hand just like a physical remote.

Thank Post
    I also like the feature to auto pause the film if you get a call (if you want to enable it..)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeyez View Post
    I also like the feature to auto pause the film if you get a call (if you want to enable it..)
    And the ability to display text messages on the TV.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,729 Times in 2,308 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Raspbmc remote control

Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    And the ability to display text messages on the TV.
    Samsung smart TV's do that too

You want dlna controls instead, remotes work to if it is acting as a dmr.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Samsung smart TV's do that too.
    I have a Samsung Smart TV. How can I get it to display text messages from my iphone? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread