+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Raspberry Pi, Arduino & Other SBCs Thread, Raspbmc - Some handy tips in Technical; I just like being awkward @ Dos_Box ... The laggyness was not an issue though and the screen setup thing ...

Thank Post

Re: Raspbmc - Some handy tips

I just like being awkward @Dos_Box... The laggyness was not an issue though and the screen setup thing ran at first run which was nice (although I didn't have to change anything). The plugins you will need to install on any system and I cannot comment on the decoder license since it coped admirably with 1080p video from the rips I was using.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,164 Times in 989 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm just being cranky

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    If you have an Android smartphone, iPhone or iPad, then you can get the official XBMC remote control which really is seriously awesome (free on Android, around 69p on iOS).

I'd be keen to know what plugs you went for, and what kind of performance you get from them once they are up and running.
    Thanks for the tip about the Iphone App - works a treat!
    The homeplugs I went for were from Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/7dayshop-500...8948921&sr=8-1
    They are a 7dayshop own brand variety but I plugged them in last night and they seem to be working well. I haven't tried any large file transfers as I am only just setting up the raspbmc.

@Dos_Box
    Did you get 40D and 5 on Demand working? I can get Iplayer and ITV working but the other 2 wont load any programmes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Thanks for the tip about the Iphone App - works a treat!

The homeplugs I went for were from Amazon. 7dayshop 500Mbps High Speed Mini HomePlug: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    They are a 7dayshop own brand variety but I plugged them in last night and they seem to be working well. I haven't tried any large file transfers as I am only just setting up the raspbmc.
    No problem. Glad it's working for you!

Once they are working normally, would you mind sharing how they perform? Transfer speeds etc?

Thank Post
    @ Dos_Box

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    And that's about it (for now) but there are a few other issues I have still not yet managed to resolve such as the
    CEC/HDMI feature not working for me (this allows your TV to pass on any signals it receives from a remote control to the Pi). As it stands the current version - RC3 - is missing quite a few of the addons such as skins etc. but these will be ported over by the XMBC community in good time.
    Are the issues you are having due to lack of support at the moment? I am looking at doing something simialr and have an LG TV with Simplelink and wondered if I could use the TV remote to control the Pi but don't know if it reliant on the SimpleLink software or also requires that the TV is supported too.

Thank Post
    Got my Pi up and running at the weekend, and bar the multiple button presses for "Back" & "main menu" my LG TV remote works fine so am pretty happy with gettting it up and running with fairly little work. I do need to set it up all up properly as I had to nick some cables from other places to test it and I now need some additional ones to configure it permanently.

One thing I wasn't sure of is the possibility of grouping films together based on genre. I had a quick look online and saw a suggestion of creating folders such as comedy, thriller etc and placing the films in there. What I was looking for is a feature that will scan the films and tag them based on genre (which I thought I read somewhere was possible?) I have tried using normal scans for my music in the past and some of the genres it tagged music with where a bit odd but wondered if improvements had been made.

Thank Post
    The other thing I've noticed is that as my Pi is powered from my TV USB it comes on when I turn the TV on. However, if I watch a bit of TV and then want to switch over to the pi input there is nothing detected. I have to pull out the USB and bring it back on manually. Is there a setting somewhere for it to either stop falling asleep or to power it on from the remote?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    The other thing I've noticed is that as my Pi is powered from my TV USB it comes on when I turn the TV on. However, if I watch a bit of TV and then want to switch over to the pi input there is nothing detected. I have to pull out the USB and bring it back on manually. Is there a setting somewhere for it to either stop falling asleep or to power it on from the remote?
    If you have your PI connected via HDMI and it does not detect a TV it defaults to RCA(phono/yellow) connection.

You can add the following to your config.txt file in the boot partition to enable the HDMI automatically:
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1
    Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    It detects the TV fine as if I select the input when I first turn the TV on I can access it no problem. For some reason I was having problems with leaving it on while I watched some TV and then switching to the Pi. It just looks like it's gone to sleep and wont wake up.

And I sorted the tagging out. It would help if I bothered to turn it on in the first place!!! I was doing it with my TV remote and missed the option as I was having trouble navigating...

Thank Post
    Have you got an inactivity timer on it, which shutdowns the PI? It is under: XBMC->Settings->Go to System->Power Saving.

Thank Post
    I couldn't say without checking. It's not something I actively set unless it's something like that by default? Even if that is the case, how do you turn it on again if it goes into power saving? Is there a specific button press or is it just a delay when it comes out of power saving state?

Thank Post
    I am unsure, what the default setting is. I think it does a shutdown rather than going into a sleep mode. Thus I am unaware of any button press that you can turn it on back on with.

13. Thanks to benjie from:

penfold (12th February 2013)

Thank Post
    I'll have to check what setting it is and if it's shutdown change it as I don't want to be getting up and unplugging the USB everytime I want to use it.

Thank Post
    This is still kind of related so I'm not creating a new thread...I have been running my current setup quite happily now but 1 thing I couldn't see if I could change was the size of the text for the scrapper? I would like to increase the size so I can read the description of the films I'm flicking through. I can just about read it from accross the room, but my wife can't see it properly. If I could increase the size to something more comforatble it would be good.

I couldn't find any settings specific for the scrapper text. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    I couldn't find any settings specific for the scrapper text. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    I think you're going to have to edit the skin itself - this wiki should get you started: XBMC Skinning Manual - XBMC

There's a hell of a lot of information in there, but if you just open up the "fonts.xml" file of your chosen skin, you may be able to find the scraper font to edit if it's labelled, otherwise just trial and error

[probably best working on a copy of the skin so you can revert easily if anything goes horribly wrong]

17. Thanks to LosOjos from:

penfold (26th March 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast