+ Post New Thread
Promethean Direct Support Thread, ActivEngage Mobile, iPads, uh-oh. in Direct Support; Evening. Our Humanaties department have recently bought a set of iPads. One of the things they have put on is ...
    Thank Post

ActivEngage Mobile, iPads, uh-oh.

Evening.

Our Humanaties department have recently bought a set of iPads. One of the things they have put on is ActiveEngage Mobile for iPad, which is, as I understand it is free, and I have been tasked with getting the things up and working.

I've followed the documentation and installed the Server program on our application server (on 10.1.10.201) and configured three virtual hubs, as well as the default left in place. I've installed ActivInspire and the driver on my staff machine and configired it to connect to the server and the control panel shows green and connected. The iPads are connected to the Mac wireless network and are connected to the ATLAS server (well, in server config it shows connected). I've opened up activinsipre, started a device regestration, generate a PIN code and...nothing. Trying to register on the iPad says "a regestration session must be started in ActivInspire in order to connect".

EDIT: I've started a regestraition session on the Applications server and it connects with the PIN okay...so I guess it's an issue between the server and my desktop?

I know very little about ActiveInspire, apart from troubleshooting board issues, and even less about the iPads, so I'd appricate any suggestions. Also, I've noticed that the ActivEngage server allows 3 users in it's unregistered state - how much are we looking at for a key? We've got about 32 iPads at the moment. I think the Humanaites department overlooked that bit...
    Last edited by tb2571989; 20th June 2012 at 04:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi there,

First things first :-)

The free bit allows registration of 1 x Server setup, and 3 x clients - anything over the 3 x clients, you would need to get licenses. Honestly, I havent got a clue about how the costs - but I know it is all provided by resellers. If you haven't got one, our support team should be able to tell you somebody in your area who sells them.

Now for the issue......

The good thing is that the connection is showing Green on the Teacher machine - that means that it is talking to, and can see the server.

The bad thing is that it sounds like for some reason, the iPads cannot see the registration session in place. Normally, this is due to firewall settings on the wireless network, or because the iPads simply cannot see the same network that the hub is being broadcasted on (Teacher machine). If they can see it, then there may be some kind of restriction / firewall in place on that network stopping the registration broadcast being seen on the iPad.

Make sure that you have the latest versions of Inspire and Driver (From Promethean Planet), and if still having problems, your probably best getting in contact with the Support team for a bit more advice.

I know it can be tricky some times though - but it is normally a setting on the wireless router, or something stopping the iPad from talking fully to the teacher machine.

Good luck!

3. Thanks to cmssbrie from:

tb2571989 (21st June 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cmssbrie View Post
    Hi there,

First things first :-)

The free bit allows registration of 1 x Server setup, and 3 x clients - anything over the 3 x clients, you would need to get licenses.

-snip-

Good luck!
    Thanks. I'll try updating the software and drivers versions but I have a feeling it might be due to the Access Control on our VLANs - I was thinking that the server acts as a "bridge" between the client and teacher machine but obviuosly the iPads need to be able to talk to the staff machines directly. We've got the iPads on the Mac Wireless VLAN, talking to the server on the Server VLAN and then the staff laptops may be either connected to the Staff Wireless or Staff Wired VLANs - I'll have to check that traffic can travel from the Mac Wireless to Staff Wired/Wireless.

I'll ask around for costs, thanks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread