+ Post New Thread
Promethean Direct Support Thread, Promethean Boards & Laptops in Direct Support; We've recently switched from base units to laptops. Teachers are complaining that they have to calibrate each time they connect ...
    Thank Post

Promethean Boards & Laptops

We've recently switched from base units to laptops. Teachers are complaining that they have to calibrate each time they connect their laptop to a different board. Is there a way round this? Many thanks

Thank Post
    Hello,

Unfortunately not - if the laptops are being used on different boards, they would need to be calibrated for those specific boards each time they are connected.

The calibration settings are held in the registry, so therefore if you take the laptop to a different board from where they were originally created, the calibration would be slightly different for the new board you are connected to.

Hope this explains!

BJG
    Thank Post
    If it's a common scenario, perhaps a software update could allow ActivStudio to recall settings from a list of projectors.
    Last edited by BJG; 23rd May 2012 at 03:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Yeah - we have got an enhancement request in to be able to store numerous systems calibration settings in the driver - but honestly not sure if / when it will be implemented.

Hopefully it will be something we see in a future release of the driver!

Thank Post
    Slightly off topic - but I am interested in the thinking of moving from desktops to laptops in the first instance?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    Slightly off topic - but I am interested in the thinking of moving from desktops to laptops in the first instance?
    Me too - everybody i have know has gone the other way!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    If it's stored in the reg then possible to write a vbscript to import relevant board calibration data.

Ben

Thank Post
    We went to laptops because we couldn't sustain the growing number of devices (we warned them, but they kept buying new PC suites and didn't replace old PC's (old meaning about 8 years old!)). Some teachers had laptops previousily until we ran out, PC's in the classrooms, PC's in the staff rooms, PC's in their offices. Now they just have a laptop which they use where ever they go, so therefore the number of devices reduces, but I know it's all swings and roundabouts. It sent a shiver down my spine when I found out.

With the calibration issue I'm kind of thinking they should just put up with it. It must only take 30 seconds max to perform a calibration in a new room. If anyone else uses laptops with IWB's and their teachers calibrate when needed, maybe you can let me know, so I can say X number of other schools do it this way so stop complaining.

Thank Post
    Our teachers put up with calibrating their boards with their laptops. They often teach most lessons in the same room so don't always need to calibrate too often.

We're hopefully moving to having a desktop in each classroom connected to the whiteboard/projector.

10. Thanks to Chris_ from:

Zourous (24th May 2012)

Thank Post
    Hm. We are all desktops at the moment, but teachers want laptops so that they can "carry their work with them." Apart from the re-calibration issue (not too hard in a primary school) please can someone give some detail as to why laptops are not such a good idea - I do realise that my maintenance issues will go up ...

I'm also interested in resolution/image ratio issues. We have recently bought mainly Promethean 378 Pros recently, but Misco are suggesting that, with laptops, we might want to look at the the 387 Pro. The projectors are all 1200x800 native, so I'm not sure what the difference would be. If anyone can enlighten me, I'd be very grateful.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    If the native res of the projector is lower than the native res of the laptop panel and you are mirroring rathe than extending the windows desktop to the projector then you will have to run the laptop at a res lower than native anyway regardless of the board>

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    If it's stored in the reg then possible to write a vbscript to import relevant board calibration data.

Ben
    This.

If you can work out a way of identifying the room in which the laptop is being used you can automatically run a .reg file that re-imports the calibration data for that room. Alternatively make an application/interface that gives the teacher a list of all rooms, they click the room and it runs a reg file and imports the data.

Or, my preferred option: Tell them to get on with it! Jesus, calibrating a whiteboard takes about 10 seconds! Although I know one member of SLT here that would need to carry a small set of steps everywhere to reach to the top corners

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread