+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Promethean Direct Support Thread, Promethean Supported USB>Serial Cables in Direct Support; Originally Posted by achedgy Had this issue with a few older boards, as soon as i've installed activinspire, it can't ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,502 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by achedgy View Post
    Had this issue with a few older boards, as soon as i've installed activinspire, it can't find the board (and this is using a keyspan converter or the pc has a com port) Replace the cable with a usb one, works prefectly. Think Promethean are quietly trying to force people to dump serial connections...
    By default the activinspire driver only installs the usb driver and not both this will apply by default if you allocate it via a gpo.

If you run a manual install you can change it to install serial and usb.

If you have a really old board the usb is provided by an inbuilt keyspan chip so you have to have the driver for this as well as the activeboard serial driver installed.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,502 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    Yeah, the board is getting power, and I am using the latest driver and nothing else should be using a serial connection. Although when I tried to manually set the serial port through promethean software, I can see 2 COM ports to chose from but it still wont connect. Options were COM1 and COM3, if I changed the USB port it became COM1 & COM4 so it is seeing the connection but doesn't connect. I cant get into the room today, but will get everything suggested here to go round first thing in the morning to try suggestions on here.

Thanks all.
    I would definately check you're using the latest driver and that the serial part is also installed, recommend uninstalling it and re-installing making sure to select usb + serial just so you know 100% it's all installed.

Then reboot and see after that if you can use the find button to automagically find the board.

Ben

Thank Post
    You must have an older board, or perhaps you're not in the USA, I can't tell. But, Promethean stopped providing serial cables/connections long ago, at least here in the states. USB is much more reliable. To deal with the distance issue via USB, you can purchase and run multiple extenders/boosters as they come in 3m lengths as well. Or you can purchase a Cat5/USB converter and enough Cat5 to cover the distance.

My company has installed 10's of thousands of Activboards and we use the USB/Cat5 converter to cover long distances. Most converts support lengths in excess of 25m.

Thank Post
    Just a quick update on this albeit a bit late. I eventually got this working after noticing that after following @plexer advice of uninstall>reinstall I didn't get the prompt for USB + Serial so it seems it was missing the serial drivers off. Managed to get this working by doing a reinstall of the driver and selecting modify. This allowed me to search for the serial driver and add it, as soon as I did this I could connect straight away. I only noticed this after testing the drivers on a different computer which gave me the prompt I was looking for so I must have installed it wrong in the first place.

Thanks all

5. Thanks to penfold from:

plexer (1st November 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12