+ Post New Thread
Promethean Direct Support Thread, Board Fails to Calibrate in Direct Support; We have just deployed our new Windows 7 image to all our student computers and are having problems getting our ...
    Thank Post

Question Board Fails to Calibrate

We have just deployed our new Windows 7 image to all our student computers and are having problems getting our Promethean boards to work.

The ActivDriver has not been deployed as part of our image and is being installed manually on PCs with the board attached.

On the 3 PCs / boards we have tried so far the board is recognised but none of them will successfully calibrate the board. On each board the cursor will stay in the bottom right of the screen (over the Show desktop button).

We have tried various versions of the driver (5.7.22, 5.7, 5.5) and none of them work.

I've also tried one of the machines in safe mode but the same error occurs.

Anyone seen this before?

I'll be trying a different computer on these boards in the morning.

Thank Post
    More info -

Tested one of the boards via a Win7 laptop with same driver version and it works fine.

Only difference I've seen between the laptop and new imaged desktop is that the desktop has also picked up a second USB driver.

The Promethean USB Board Driver isn't present when connecting via the laptop, but on the desktop (screen shot below) does have this.

Capture.PNG

Thank Post
    Hi Steve,

It could be that you have 2 instances of the ActivDriver installed (one being much older and hence causing a conflict)

You say that you are manually installing the driver but before you do so is it possible to check if there is an older version installed on the image? Have a look if ActivSoftware\ActivDriver folder exists in Program Files or if a process called ActivControl is running in Task Manager.

Thank Post
    Also, grab your free update to ActivInspire while you can. We did and we can install it all fine via MSI, including the drivers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TRobinson View Post
    Hi Steve,

It could be that you have 2 instances of the ActivDriver installed (one being much older and hence causing a conflict)

You say that you are manually installing the driver but before you do so is it possible to check if there is an older version installed on the image? Have a look if ActivSoftware\ActivDriver folder exists in Program Files or if a process called ActivControl is running in Task Manager.
    @TRobinson thanks for the reply. I've checked another PC from same image and it doesn't have that folder, or that process running. I also tried attaching the board to this machine and it doesn't identify the drivers for the board.

Both the USB drivers show in the image above show the 5.7.22 driver version.

What I mean by manualy installing the driver is running the exe from the promethean site.

Thank Post
    Spent all afternoon disabling various processes and removing all GPOs but to no avail, the issue still remains.

So I've monitored the calibration process and the values written to the registry [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\ACTIVhidmini\Parameters\Calibration] are pretty similar for the laptop that works and the desktop that doesn't. Only a few of the larger numbers arn't the same.

Does this indicate that the software is correctly identifying on the board where I'm clicking when calibrating?

Thank Post
    Sorry Steve, been in meetings.

The fact that the reg key is being written to would indicate that the calibration points are being picked up but for some reason the mouse pointer still isn't being controlled, do the values change if you select points other than the targets, if not this could be a permissions issue (are you logged in as full admin)

Another thing to check, if you click on the ActivManager icon in the system tray and choose "Control Panel", and then under the "Pens" tab can you make sure that "Pen Mode" is set to "Mouse"? You may need to reboot if you have to change this setting.

Failing that, can you ensure that the projector is the only display device attached to the desktop and there are no remote desktop "mirror" displays present in Device Manager before rebooting a trying to calibrate again.

8. Thanks to TRobinson from:

steve (24th August 2011)

Thank Post
    @TRobinson thanks for the further advise, I'll give this a go in the morning. Fingers crossed ....

Thank Post

[FIXED]

Tried the suggestions without success.

However I latched on to your suggestion the mouse isn't being controlled. So I had a look through the 118 programs installed on the image.

Removed ABTutor - no difference

As the PC was initially built as a Windows Virtual PC, it had Virtual PC Intergration Componenets installed. Removing these and a reboot later - Success!!

Tried on another computer to confirm and yes thats whats causing the issue.

So for anyone else having this problem in the future - go to control panel, uninstall a program and uninstall Virtual PC Intergration Componenets

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread