+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Promethean Direct Support Thread, Naked Promethean board in Direct Support; Hi. Sorry if this post sounds like it is coming from a complete numpty, but I am dealing with my ...
    Thank Post

Naked Promethean board

Hi. Sorry if this post sounds like it is coming from a complete numpty, but I am dealing with my first Promethean board. I have been troubleshooting smartboards for years. When any sane person reads the problems below, they would say GET THE INSTALLATION COMPANY BACK but that's not going to happen. An ofsted inspection is immenent and I'm all they have for now.

1. What model board do I appear to have? It has a white trim border, rounded corners and only one pen in a clip on the side. I think it's an Activ2. The tag with the serial number was torn off.

2. This board was moved from one building to another, and in the process lost all its cables and laptop. The speakers and amp made it, but are slightly damaged.

My main problem is the cables. We scrounged up a VGA cable which can go from the laptop to a plate on the wall and it's projecting. (Wrong size image, but an image.)

1. The promethean help line were excellent with the serial number problems. I downloaded the standard activeboard drivers, but they won't install on the spanking new compaq win7 laptop that appeared. I get the error "This software can only be used on a X86 machine." Someone suggested that really new laptops can be 64 bit - is that it? I work in primary IT - I'm more used to laptops that archeologists have dug up.

2. There is a port on the wall plate for a USB printer cable. I can't get my head around how touch control works on these. Is there another cable I should know about?

3. We found an audio jack to get the laptop connected to the amp. The amp (a promethean one) has four skinny wires hardwired into a plate on the wall. The laptop is producing sound, but not the wall speakers. There is a set of audio jacks on the wall marked PC Audio. Do I need another set of cables from the back of the amp to the wall plate?

Many thanks - any bits of this jigsaw will help. I have unsnarled smartboard audio before, but usually I at least had all the bits.

Thanks.

Michele

Thank Post
    Try installing the 64bit Activ driver: http://www.prometheanplanet.com/docu...-v5-5-37-4.exe

You will need a USB A-B cable (USB printer cable) to connect from your laptop to the USB port on the wall.

I haven't had a close look at the back of the Promethean amplifiers yet so I can't comment on that.

3. Thanks to Chris_ from:

MrsGrinch (13th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks, Chris. I had a spare usb with me and whopped it in, but as the drivers wouldn't install I couldn't tell if it did anything.

When the drivers go in, do they provide you with a utility for orientation and so on?

Michele
    And I meant "imminent" in the first post. I wanted to be an english teacher, but that was a long time ago.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    One the drivers are installed, you'll get an icon in the system tray (near the clock on the taskbar) that will allow you to configure it, just like with the SMART drivers.

From what you've described, the amp is correctly wired into the wall plate. You should not need any extra audio cables to the wall plate; the audio cable from the laptop should go into one of the pairs of connectors on the back of the amp, and then select the corresponding source on the front of the amp.

One last thing: you mentioned "touch control". Are you aware that Promethean boards are not in fact touch sensitive? They only respond to the special pens that come with them. If you do not have the pens, ask for a quote from suppliers in the Our Advertisers forum here on EduGeek. They will almost certainly be able to supply replacement pens cheaper than buying them direct from Promethean.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,743 Posts
    If this is an older Promethean Board you'll need a KeySpan Adapter (Serial to Parallel converter) to connect the usb on your laptop to the parallel port on your board.

Google, there are plenty around.

Your new laptop probably is 64 bit. Many (most?) new Win 7 laptops are. If you look at the laptop's system properties, it will tell you.

Thank Post
    Hi. Thanks. There is in fact one lonely pen with it. I knew about the pen thing but I wasn't sure what to call it! Pen sensitive?
    The teacher who uses the board said "It's lost its touch sensitivity" and as he is new to the unit, I wonder if HE realises.

So what is the printer usb port on the wall for? To print directly to an attached printer?

Michele

Thank Post
    Thanks. I think this is a newish board. As I have the vga cable for the display, what would the usb port be used for? The pen?

Michele

Thank Post
    And thanks for the advice on the amp. This is the way most smartboard amps are wired (unless the head has been trying to "help") and I didn't think it needed anything else. I can hear the laptop with or without headphones, so the jack on there is working. I think I can hear a bit of click when I twiddle the volume knob, but there is no crackle off the connectors or anything. No one can remember the speakers ever working. I tried bypassing the amp and going to the sockets on wall marked audio (I've sometimes got them to work this way) but nothing there, either. I once flailed around at another school for an hour, only to get up a ladder and discover that the decorators had yanked the wires out of the speakers.

Michele

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm a bit confused by your amp problem (more me then you!) so im just gonna go through my usual setup. I usually get a phono to jack connection, put the phonos in the aux ports at the back of the amp and obviously jack into the laptop. Then skinny wires from speakers into the back of the amp too. The usual mistake is the knob not pointing to the right source.
    Last edited by Little-Miss; 14th November 2010 at 03:02 PM.

Thank Post
    The usb port on the wall is to connect you rlaptop upto the the board to make it interactive with the pen as the faceplate will be wired to the board in the top corner. The face plate keeps it tidy. With regards to the amp ensure you ahve a phono to jack cable connected in the back of the amp and select the setting on the fron to which port you have plugged it in. If you still have no sound from teh speakers ensure the amp is turned on and on the opposite of the on off switch you may have button if its pushed in make sure its pushed out and vice versa cant remember what it is called. Hope this helps

Thank Post
    once you ahve foudn the working drivers the board will be come interactive you may also want to install activ studio or active inspire these both do the same thing but inspire has more features. If you find that you get the drivers working but the board is still not interactive make sure it is powered up to check this the man in the top left corner should be lit up if its not ensure that there is power going to the board this may be via usb from the laptop or a psu which plugs into the back of the board
    Last edited by LukeC; 14th November 2010 at 03:14 PM.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Hi. Thanks -that is the way it is setup, and the way I would expect to see it. I'm just a little confused as to why there is a set of jacks on the wall maked "PC audio", when the amp is clearly hard wired to the speakers. And I have learned the hard way to make sure the aux/cd/dvd/phono knob is in the right position. How many techies here have swiveled the knob into the correct position and blown the class across the room with that tinkly theme music from abacus?

Michele

Thank Post
    I don't see ANY kind of power indicator on the board. there seem to be two usb connections partly concealed behind a plate inteh upper corner, and there are cables in them. I fthey want to hide them that badly, I'll leave them alone!

This is starting to come together in my head now, and it really isn't too different from a smart board.

Michele

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Promethean boards have a circular button in the top left hand corner. If you have power to the board, this is lit up. If it isn't lit up, the pen won't work and you need to check the board's power supply.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast