+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Promethean Direct Support Thread, No power to board in Direct Support; Hi, One of my promethean boards has no power to it. To make things slightly more difficult we have these ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

No power to board

Hi,

One of my promethean boards has no power to it. To make things slightly more difficult we have these boxes on the walls referred to as "Becta" boxes, im not sure if that's their official name. It's basically a big "switch" on the wall which swaps the source from PC to laptop, Video cable and sound is also attached.

When this happened to me last time, i opened the box to find that it just had an Activboard power block in there. Also tried different power lead and socket just to make sure it wasnt fuses etc...

Is there anything else i can check before i spend 30 odd pound on another?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    We've got those Becta boxes as well - they are a pain!
    Can't think of anything else you could try except changing the power leads.
    I must admit I have had this already since we came back - I think some of these old boards don't like being switched on again after a 5 week break

3. Thanks to witch from:

Little-Miss (13th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh so glad its not just me!!!! Awful things! Actually cause more problems then they help!! Grrr

£34 for one of those power supplies....think im just going to have to risk buying one and see if it helps. If not suppose its always good to have a spare..

Thank Post
    Have you more than one of these? If so, the obvious thing would be pull the PSU from another board and test it on the 'faulty' board. You'll know then whether it's your board or the PSU that's the problem.

6. Thanks to Hightower from:

Thank Post
    Hi,

The quickest way to determine if the PSU has gone is to try another one. The PSU's do live inside the Beta boxes - so if they are easily accessible, it might be worth borrowing one from another system and trying it before buying a new one.

Not much help, I know, but if you've tried another IEC lead to the Becta box, and it's not working, the next thing would be to try another board PSU inside the Becta box.

Good luck!

8. Thanks to cmssbrie from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good point! They are just evil to get out lol!! Not thinking straight with pushy teachers!! Plus got to find a willing victim!

Thanks

Thank Post
    Should only take a few minutes to whip one out after the bell - good luck!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok, took PSU from working board, didnt help

Is there anything else that can go in these boxes? It's just that if the board itself had died, wouldnt the SVideo and sound still work?!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    So...there is no power to the board and you have tried another psu with no success?

Does the board have power to it when it is NOT connected to anything else? (I have known dodgy laptops/computers take the power away from a board - even if it isnt powered via USB)
    Isn't there a Promethean support guy on here somewhere? Could you find him and ask the question?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When we've had faulty PSUs in the past, a quick check with a multimeter has always given a 0 volt reading - that saves a lot of messing around swapping.

Also, when the IWBs that are connected to Becta boxes fail, we've just bypassed it and ran new separate cables.

Does that board work in another room?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Ok, took PSU from working board, didnt help

Is there anything else that can go in these boxes? It's just that if the board itself had died, wouldnt the SVideo and sound still work?!
    Only the PSU's can go in here - the other stuff (SVideo / VGA / COM) are just a "link through" cables.

Webman's suggestion of trying a direct cable to the back of the board is probably your best bet - but if all your installs have the BECTA boxes, you might not have any.

Basically, there is a serial cable that goes in the back of the board (which has a startack connector) - at present, this will be going directly to your BECTA box - if you have one from another "same model" board, you could try another serial cable (the PSU piggy backs into it to provide power), and try that - this would deffinitely tell you if the board has died.

Another option, might be to give the Tech Support guys a call from inside the room, so they could help you to troubleshoot (0844 855 2201).

To be honest, it is extremely rare that the boards will completely die - normally, if you've no power at all, it is the PSU, so if you aren't getting any power, might be worth having a look at the back of the board (top left hand corner), and seeing if the connector(s) are still plugged in.

Hope you manage to get it sorted!

15. Thanks to cmssbrie from:

Little-Miss (5th October 2010)

Thank Post
    (1)It's just that if the board itself had died, wouldnt the SVideo and sound still work?! (Little Miss)
    (2)Only the PSU's can go in here - the other stuff (SVideo / VGA / COM) are just a "link through" cables. ...
    ...it is extremely rare that the boards will completely die - normally, if you've no power at all, it is the PSU,(CmssBrie)

No doubt it is rare, but if power is getting to the sound (from the PSU) surely it can't be the PSU at fault? Although the projector stays on come what may, the red/green light on the sound switch goes on & off as you connect / disconnect the PSU, but the board and the flame of learning stays stubbornly off. I think the projector is totally irrelevant - it has mains power, but no extra low Voltage DC. I think the sound is the key: if all USB / serial cables are removed (or connected only to the PSU), then power to the sound is only coming from the PSU. Therefore the problem is either the board or the connection from the sound to the board.
    What would be useful, would be a wiring diagram, so that one could check that all the cables are in the correct places. The flexes (and any cables) are so inaccessible that it seems unlikely anyone would move them, but on one of our height adjustable boards, as the board moves up and down, it pulls it's own plug out. The first time I spotted this, I just had a dangling lead and it was pure trial and error finding which of the empty sockets it went into.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ARGH!!

Right, i really think there is something not right in that Becta box.

I have now actually physically swapped the board itself. That now has power but i still dont seem to have anything else! The board knows when the pen is touching it, but when i try to connect the board to the computer using the Settings it just says not connected. I didnt test this thouroughly as the class returned but i dont think there was any sound either!

Help!!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    bump as being made to look incompetent....

Thank Post
    Has the computer got up to date Promethean drivers? Used to get the "not connected" thing a lot with the older drivers (and there was a non-standard way to register them) but the newer ones seem OK.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast