+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Promethean Direct Support Thread, No power to board in Direct Support; Cheap multi voltage psu's from wilkinsons work well, Or you can buy 12V supplies from Maplin that are better built ...
    Thank Post
    Cheap multi voltage psu's from wilkinsons work well,

Or you can buy 12V supplies from Maplin that are better built and will last. Great for trouble shooting too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,612 Times in 1,443 Posts
    Is this a usb or serial promethean board?

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Tis serial.

I only reinstalled the drivers. Will try newer drivers, but it would be odd as it is the same driver used throughout the school with no issues. But nothing suprises me anymore.

Thank Post
    Ok when you swapped the board do you mean the complete interactive whiteboard itself? did you use the serial/power lead from the non working board with this second board or did you use the serial/power lead that was attached to the second board?

If you haven't then try swapping over the serial/power lead that clips into the electronics housing by depressing the latch on it.

If you identify that it is the cable at fault does it look like this TDS Promethean - Serial cable - DB-9... - CAB-SER-1 at Insight UK

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Swapped the IWB.

The cables are all trunked in so will have to see if i have a spare lying somewhere.....

Thank Post
    Ok well if it looks like the one in the picture and you don't have a spare PM your postal address and one will be winging it's way to you.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right, I found a really short one...so stuck the one end into the Becta box and the other end into the back of the board (so lucky to have a friend who takes time out from her things to help me). PC still didnt pick up there was anything there...

I checked to make sure everything is ok in device manager which it is.

Out of pure frustrastion i stuck the Serial into the back of the pc to try and bypass the box....not sure if that was the right thing to do as i dont know if there was something special about this serial, but there was no explosion but still nothing...

I give up. I've looked at this from all different angles im getting myself confused....

Thank Post
    Anychance of some pictures of the board and connectors etc...???

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can get you one of the inside of the Becta box after school.

See what i can do about the board.

I need to check the sound system too as if there is no sound there is something wrong inside the Becta box.

Thank Post
    Hi,

Sorry I went "off line" last week - I wasn't in, so have just seen that you are still having problems!.

Okay, just to clarify one thing - the only thing that is given power inside the BECTA box is the board. There is one PSU - which is a board PSU - this does not provide anything else power - i.e any audio - it is purely for the board - all audio on these systems was provided by an external powered amplifier (if they were Promethean installs that is!).

Anyway, I managed to get hold of an old Becta box we had lying around - these are the ones we supplied - anyway, I took a photo of whats inside (you may have more cables inside yours - ours has been butchered! :-) )

So, if you have no power going to your board, it is likely that the Board PSU has failed. The only thing you can do is...

a) ensure the figure 8 lead is going into the Board PSU (top left of box in the picture)
    b) Ensure that the small DC (from the PSU) lead is plugged into the Serial cable inside the Becat box (centre of box in picture, with the blue and red "lines" going into it)
    c) Ensure the "Board Connector" (outside of box in picture at the top) is plugged into the board.

Failing that, you could, if you have or can get hold of one easily to test - take a known working PSU, plug that externally into the mains, and plug that DC end (red "line" in picture) into the internal serial cable inside the Becta box (centre of picture) - Your board should then power up. This will tell you if it is the PSU that has failed inside the Becta box.

Hope this makes it eaiser to diagnose!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    oooooh im so confused!!

It is a Promethean setup.

The point we've got to now is that i have power to the board.

I know its definately not the board as we physically swapped the board with another. The board from the "problem" room works perfectly in its new location.

We've managed to get power to the board so am now wondering if its a cable issue as the pen wont work on the board. The board reacts to the pen being on it, but if i try to right click and go to settings and connect the board it fails.

I've swapped PSU's
    Swapped boards
    If it's highly unlikey to be the becta box then it must be a cable. But then that confuses me as i had a small serial cable like this and it still didnt make a difference. Plexer has kindly offered to send me one...

will have to have a more thorough look at the sound as i cant get that to work either, must be missing something!!
    Last edited by Little-Miss; 11th October 2010 at 10:31 AM.

Thank Post
    It'll be in the post today didn't get chance last week.

Ben

13. Thanks to plexer from:

Little-Miss (11th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Ahhh - ok.

On the PC, uninstall the current version of ActivDriver, and install this one...

http://promsendit.com/files/6100_mun....2.7_setup.exe

Reboot the PC.

Ensure that the serial cable, either from the BECTA box, or directly from the board is connecrted to the serial port on the PC.

Click on the Promethean icon in the system tray, choose "Control Panel" -> "Connections". In here, you should see a drop down list with some different ports in them. Normally, COM 1 will be the first - anyway, going through them in sequence, click on "Connect". Hopefully one will then say "connected".

Just one other thing, make sure, on the "front" of the BECTA box, the "switch" is set to whichever side you have your serial cable plugged into (i.e Computer 1 or Computer 2)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok, ive installed new driver, made sure switch was pointing the right way, even tried another serial cable....nothing!

When the classroom is empty im going to try the second serial socket on the box...

Thank Post
    One other thing - if your PC is not miles away - do you have a 5m USB cable? - If so, you could plug this directly into the back of the board, and the other end into your PC - that would also rule out anything wrong with the serial port on your PC?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast