+ Post New Thread
Promethean Direct Support Thread, Driver deployment issues in Direct Support; I recently made the move to deploy Activ Inspire across our network. I followed all the network instructions in the ...
    Thank Post

Driver deployment issues

I recently made the move to deploy Activ Inspire across our network. I followed all the network instructions in the PDF and also decided to deploy the latest driver too.

After doing this- all of our boards stopped working. What seems to have happened is the new driver hasn't removed the old one and activ manager has disappeared too.

This wouldn't be so bad but firstly i need the 4.1.14 driver from somewhere so i can uninstall it as it has disappeared out of view on our systems and also I need to know how to remove it from our Windows 7 machines.

The Win7 machines are the biggest issue as I cannot find any MSI cleanup tools to sort it out. I found one for XP so it's not as much of a problem with those.

Could someone help me ASAP?

Thank Post
    Hi,

Ok, I have just uploaded 4.1.14 for you - you can download it here...

http://promsendit.com/files/6099_5b8...4.20_setup.exe

If you want to get the .MSI package from it, you can run it from the command line with the /a switch.

The problem may have happened because the new driver (driver 5), if being installed on a clean machine, silently, it will only install the USB part of the driver (if you run the driver 5 .exe yourself on a machine which doesn;t have the driver installed, you will notice that you are asked if you want the USB Only part of the driver, or USB and Serial parts together - by default, the USB only is selected on a 'clean machine' as it assumes you have a new board, which no longer have Serial connections) so if your boards are serial connection, the serial driver will not have been installed, this may be whats happened.

Theres two ways around this - one, would be to follow these two KB articles...

http://uk.prometheankb.com/article.a...310649&p=10121

and

http://uk.prometheankb.com/article.a...310651&p=10121

Or two, would be to deploy 5.1.27(which installs the serial part by default - Ive uploaded it here for you...http://promsendit.com/files/6100_mun....2.7_setup.exe), and then deploy version 5.5 over the top. This way, Driver 5 will recognise that you already have serial drivers installed, and just update the USB drivers.

For removing from Windows 7 machines, locally, it should just be in Add or Remove Programs, but if you can confirm that these were deffinaltey on 4.1.14, I can get you the Install String Reg key - but like I mention above, it may be easier just 'upgrading' as appose to removing.

Hope this helps!

Thank Post
    Thanks for this!

I haven't actually deployed it to clean machines i've deployed it to machines already running Activ Primary (with driver) so I may need the Install Reg key for the Win 7 machines. The Activ Manager icon (or any device icon for that matter) isn't there on the taskbar anymore nor is the driver in the Add/Remove programs. Really bizarre... The deployment just seems to have erased any trace of drivers.

When I try to upgrade the driver on the Windows 7 machines using an installer all I get is an error code that says 'activcontrol2.exe is not marked for installation'

Thank Post
    Very strange!

Try installing driver 4.1.14 on the ones where you get the 'Not marked for installation' message - I think we've had that before, and by re - installing 4.1.14, you could then either remove the driver completely (via Add / remove Progs), or just update to driver 5 straight over the top.

Thank Post
    Well I tried that and it gave me the message that the driver was only for XP... so it's stumped me!! I'll try it again using this driver you have given me but I did actually find the 4.1.14 from a previous download I made last year so it's probably the same one...

Thank Post
    Ok just tried the Version 5 driver on a Win 7 machine and i'm still getting the Error- 'activcontrol2.exe' is not marked for installation... What now??

Thank Post
    <BUMP> Help needed- hope someone can help me soon!!

Thank Post
    Hi, - Sorry, looks like I missed your latest post!

I think the 4.1.14 is the key here - can you try installing in in Compatibility mode on Win 7?

9. Thanks to cmssbrie from:

marsdenprimary (5th July 2010)

Thank Post
    I'll give it a try- didn't realise you could do that (DOH! Windows 7...) I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help so far!!!

Thank Post
    Hi,

Just had a look on a Windows 7 machine here, and if 4.1.14 is installed (it must be this version - otheriwse the command won't execute!), you could try going into a CMD Prompt and typing MsiExec.exe /I{9814C90D-FA89-4633-BBD2-C034C34126D2} - this should bring up the uninstaller.

You could then try 'Repairing' it, and trying to install driver 5 over the top, or, if that doesn't work, you could try uninstalling it, and then try re installing driver 5.

Good luck!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread