+ Post New Thread
Promethean Direct Support Thread, Acrive Inspire Licencing in Direct Support; Hello there, Currently we have 24 Promethean IWB's in our classrooms, we are looking to replace all of these with ...
    Thank Post

Acrive Inspire Licencing

Hello there,

Currently we have 24 Promethean IWB's in our classrooms, we are looking to replace all of these with LCD touch screens,
    my question is do we have to buy a new licence if we wish to keep active inspire or are we covered if we scrap the boards ???

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    The License is only valid when used with the Promethean Hardware.

You can buy new licenses for the software however I believe from other threads on here asking this question they are not cheap. Someone said an alternative way around this is to by the Voting System or Slates they do as that then re-licenses you but I am not sure if that is fully correct.

Best advice is contact Promethean / your authorised reseller

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Seconded - contact Promethean directly - they are very helpful I find

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    They told me we could have 2x software licenses for each hardware.

Thank Post
    Hi All,
    The licence for ActivInspire Professional edition is as follows:
    Number of Promethean ActivHardware products x2 (ActivBoards, ActivPanels, kit of 32 ActivExpression, kit of 32 ActiVote.)

So it is as CyberNerd mentions above.
    If you have 10 Promethean ActivBoards you are licenced to have ActivInspire Professional edition installed on 20 computers.
    If no Promethean hardware is present in the school then the ActivInspire licences will need to be purchased from your local reseller.

Thank you

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Looks like you need to put your boards in a cupboard then

Ben

Thank Post
    I'd seriously start looking at alternatives - something that would allow students to access resources at home on any device, eg VLE/HTML5 based.
    The AS software has become a bit of a lock-in in our school to the point where it is really difficult for departments that are entrenched in AS to be able to easily share their documents online. The AS personal is useless for ipad/android tablets - which is what the majority of our students own, and pdf/html export is long winded and doesn't include any interactivity. I mentioned this to promethean at BETT but got shunned as it didn't fit their business model of selling hardware. We've recommended any new IWB's are LCD and not to use AS for these reasons - but I'm still looking for some good HTML5 tools.

Thank Post
    Can I just point out that in the EULA for ActivInspire Professional says you can use other hardware:

3.7 Use with Hardware: Presentation of the Software on a projector only, or usage with any other manufacturer’s tablet or interactive board or Software without connection to a Promethean interactive device (i.e., ActivBoard, ActivPanel, ActivHub) is permitted; however, the Software has been specifically designed for optimum performance with Promethean interactive devices and no guarantee or assurance is made or given by Promethean in relation to the performance of the Software with other manufacturers products. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE WARRANTY SET OUT IN CLAUSE 8.2 SHALL NOT APPLY WHERE THE SOFTWARE IS USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH ANY OTHER MANUFACTURERS PRODUCTS OR SOFTWARE.
    Last edited by jonspurs; 5th December 2013 at 04:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Where did you get that?
    It doesn't appear in our current version of the EULA 1.7.62196 it only mentions that you need a software license for each copy. It was promethean support that told me each piece of hardware comes with two explicit software licenses.

Thank Post
    Hi CyberNerd/jonspurs,
    I have pasted the 2 relevant sections of the "Use with other equipment" licence terms:

4.4 Related Purchase: A “Related Purchase” as used in this EULA means a purchase of Promethean Equipment or Promethean Certified Equipment which comes together with a Software license at no additional cost. The type of Software License (whether it is a Single User or a Multi-User license) that comes with a Related Purchase of Promethean Equipment or Promethean Certified Equipment is specified in the order documentation agreed between You and Promethean or a Promethean Partner as the case may be. Except as otherwise set forth in this Section 4.4, the Software received as part of a Related Purchase is only permitted to be operated with the Promethean Equipment or the Promethean Certified Equipment with which it was purchased. The Software is not permitted to be operated with any other 3rd party Interactive Display Devices. However, in the case of a Related Purchase of ActivEngage Software, ActivExpression and ActiVote kits, subject to the warranty exclusions set forth in Section 9, the Software may be operated on any Interactive Display Device (whether Promethean branded or Promethean certified or a 3rd party’s) so long as the Software is used in conjunction with Promethean’s ActivEngage Software, ActivExpression and ActiVote kits.

4.5 Use with Other Equipment: Except for the restrictions set forth in Section 4.4 (Related Purchases), the Software is permitted to be displayed on any 3rd party manufacturer’s non-interactive or Interactive Display Devices without connection to Promethean Equipment or Promethean Certified Equipment. However, the Software has been specifically designed for optimum performance with Promethean Equipment and Promethean Certified Equipment and no warranty, guarantee or assurance is made or given by Promethean in relation to the performance of the Software with any other equipment. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE WARRANTY SET OUT IN SECTION 9 SHALL NOT APPLY WHERE THE SOFTWARE IS USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH EQUIPMENT OR SOFTWARE THAT IS NOT PROMETHEAN EQUIPMENT OR PROMETHEAN CERTIFIED EQUIPMENT.

In laymans terms this means that if you have received ActivInspire as part of a related purchase of a Promethean Interactive Display, then you are only permitted to use ActivInspire professional with the board, with this you are also entitled to install AcitvInspire on 1 additional machine for preparatory use. (so x2 per board)
    If you have received ActivInspire as part of an ActivEngage, ActivExpression or Activote bundle, then you can use ActivInspire on any third party device.

Hope this clarifies. though if you have any further question I would contact Promethean Support as they would be able to advise.

11. Thanks to phillyrovers from:

CyberNerd (5th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Where did you get that?
    It doesn't appear in our current version of the EULA 1.7.62196 it only mentions that you need a software license for each copy. It was promethean support that told me each piece of hardware comes with two explicit software licenses.
    This was version 1.6.50464 but the EULA bundled with this software says 1.5.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread