+ Post New Thread
Promethean Direct Support Thread, Active Inspire 1.7 dies completely when logged on as a teacher on Win 7 64 Bit in Direct Support; Morning folks I have reported this to Promethean support but was hopping someone on here might have already had this ...
    Thank Post

Active Inspire 1.7 dies completely when logged on as a teacher on Win 7 64 Bit

Morning folks

I have reported this to Promethean support but was hopping someone on here might have already had this problem before.

Teachers have logged in this morning to find that active inspire no longer works when logged on as teacher, the splash screen loads, and then a black frame appears and the program crashes with a Windows error message and error log file.

When I log on as an administrator it functions ok with no error messages-

Version is 1.7
    Java is latest version
    Flash is Latest
    AV is Sophos Endpoint

Have already tried clearing all the temporary files and folders for the teacher uses and doing a fresh reinstall, nothing has resolved the situation and I'm at a loss as to what else I can do at the moment any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    John

Thank Post
    Hello ridpool_John,
    I am going to take a completely "fresh" look at this and ask you a few questions.
    1. when was the last time ActivInspire worked for these users?
    2. Have any new programmes or updates been installed since the time ActivInspire did work and now?
    The fact that everything functions when logged onto the machines as an administrator is also suggesting that some network setting or permissions has been applied meaning that the users no longer have access to files and folders that ActivInspire requires.

If you create a brand new "standard" user on one of the machines does the problem still remain? If it does then this would suggest a permissions issue. If this however works then this would suggest some corruption with the users network profiles.

Hope this helps.
    Thank you

Thank Post
    1. Worked yesterday at 3pm on all machines
    2. No new updates on the admin account can install updates and I control that.
    3. The active inspire software is functioning on a dummy teacher account that I've created this morning using the a copy of the default teaching account profile and it functions on our standard student account profile as well

Does that make it any clearer...?
    Thanks for your help

Thank Post
    Hi ridpool_John,
    This sounds to me like something has happened to your existing teacher network profiles which has caused it.
    If you copy a teachers profile and create a new one from that copy does this then work?

The full list if files and folders that ActivInspire requires access to (by default) is below: It might be worth checking the permissions to all of them.
    C:\Users\%username%\My Documents\Activ Software\ActivInspire\My Resources\My Profiles
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Promethean\Act ivInspire
    C:\Users\All Users\Promethean\ActivInspire
    C:\Users\All Users\Promethean
    C:\Program Files\Activ Software\Inspire
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Activ Software\Inspire
    C:\Program Data\Promethean
    C:\Program Data\Promethean\ActivInspire
    C:\Windows\Temp
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp

If any of the files/ folders above have been There are also a number of registry entries as well but I highly doubt that these would be causing this issue.

Thank you

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyrovers View Post
    Hi ridpool_John,
    This sounds to me like something has happened to your existing teacher network profiles which has caused it.
    If you copy a teachers profile and create a new one from that copy does this then work?

The full list if files and folders that ActivInspire requires access to (by default) is below: It might be worth checking the permissions to all of them.
    C:\Users\%username%\My Documents\Activ Software\ActivInspire\My Resources\My Profiles
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Promethean\Act ivInspire
    C:\Users\All Users\Promethean\ActivInspire
    C:\Users\All Users\Promethean
    C:\Program Files\Activ Software\Inspire
    C:\Users\Public\Documents\Activ Software\Inspire
    C:\Program Data\Promethean
    C:\Program Data\Promethean\ActivInspire
    C:\Windows\Temp
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp

If any of the files/ folders above have been There are also a number of registry entries as well but I highly doubt that these would be causing this issue.

Thank you
    Created a new username using the old profile and it works, have checked the folders above and they're all present and correct so my plan at the moment is to use a new staff logon as a temporary fix until promeathan caqn give me a better idea of how to resolve this.

John

Thank Post
    Hello ridpool_John,
    Thank you for that test.
    This has allowed me to determine what I believe may the source of the problem (although you will need to delete some files to prove this).

ActivInspire works perfectly well with other users on problematic machines, so we are not actually looking at an ActivInspire problem.
    I suspect that the ActivInspire user profiles have become corrupt for some reason that I could not tell you.
    There are a number of tests to prove/ disprove this theory.
    1. Take a problematic machine and log on as a problematic user - This should fail.
    2. Remove the machine from the network and log on as the same user.
    3. Disable any anti-virus on the machine (as a test).
    4. Delete the entire contents of the following folders for the problematic user only:
    C:\Users\*Username*\Documents\Activ Software\ActivInspire\My Resources\My Profiles (will contain a number of .profile files)
    C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\Local\Temp

Restart the macine, log in as the user again (still off the network) and test.
    If this works then turn the anti-virus back on and test.
    If this works again please re-connect the machine to the network and test.

Thank you

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread