+ Post New Thread
Promethean Direct Support Thread, dell inspiron 545MT desktop will not power ON on cold weather in Direct Support; question about desktop motherboard...please help.........? hi all,i have DELL INSPIRON 545MT desktop...the computer won't power ON in cold weather..things that ...

Thank Post

Unhappy dell inspiron 545MT desktop will not power ON on cold weather

question about desktop motherboard...please help.........?

hi all,i have DELL INSPIRON 545MT desktop...the computer won't power ON in cold weather..things that i have tried
    1)reseated RAM,reseated as well as GPU (even tried without GPU)
    2)tried with working PSU
    3)shorted the power pins with screw driver still it won't power ON
    4)CMOS reset
    but nothing helped...
    i don't see any bulged capacitors on the main board...the board will power ON only when the temperature rises otherwise it will not power ON.in order to power it ON again i need to turn on the main ac supply for 1 hour or such then i need to hit power button then it will power ON...(when the humidity is high i need to wait for such time by turning on the main supply for 1 hour after 1 hour only it will power ON) this thing happens ONLY on cold weather...any help would greatly appreciated..thank you in advance...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,601 Posts
    My father in law's PC, also a Dell but can't remember the model, did this. We could only boot it if it was stood next to a radiator or you used a hair dryer on the PSU for 10 minutes to warm it up.

Given its age, about 5 years, we replaced the PC!
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 3rd November 2012 at 06:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    It could be something like dry solder joints on the board or PSU that only work when expanded by heat.
    I'd try re-soldering it by putting the motherboard in an oven at high temp for 15min.

Thank Post
    yeah thanks for the replies..yeah i have heard about re-soldering the PCB on a oven...but will it do any harm like damaging the main board if i put in an oven?and at what temperature should i heat up the main board? and also do you think about capacitors i do see all capacitors look OK..expect one cap near to the processor VRM capacitor sitting crooked..so you think this also cause this problem not to power ON in cold weather? thank you

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nvidia View Post
    yeah thanks for the replies..yeah i have heard about re-soldering the PCB on a oven...but will it do any harm like damaging the main board if i put in an oven?and at what temperature should i heat up the main board? and also do you think about capacitors i do see all capacitors look OK..expect one cap near to the processor VRM capacitor sitting crooked..so you think this also cause this problem not to power ON in cold weather? thank you
    I'd go for gas mark 9 for 15min It shouldn't melt anything as long as you remove any components that are likely to melt. the plastic parts on the board are designed to withstand high temperatures (part of the process of soldering them in the first place). Orientation of the capacitor shouldn't matter as long as it has a good connection.
    I would also swap out the PSU before you bother to try this!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread