+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Physical Security Thread, IP CCTV setup in Technical; HT wants a CCTV system to monitor the outside and an IP system seems the modern way to do this. ...
    Thank Post

IP CCTV setup

HT wants a CCTV system to monitor the outside and an IP system seems the modern way to do this. So is it just a matter of connecting the cameras to the network using PoE and use a dedicated PC to record the images?

For instance would either of these cameras work ok?

IP Camera Pro with mobile phone remote viewing : IP Cameras : Maplin Electronics

HD Megapixel Face Tracking Outdoor Camera : IP Cameras : Maplin Electronics

Thank Post
    We recently purchased and installed 10 of these Vivotek FD8134V [V] H.264 Vandal-proof IP66 Dome Network Camera - IP Cameras - Domes

They are easy to install and give a good clear image.

For recording we have a DVR, we have the model below this one Aver EH6216H+ Hybrid DVR 16ch - 16-32 channel DVR

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would sick them on a different VLAN they have been known to cripple networks.

Thank Post
    I've got my IP cameras working on seperate vLAN for the reason given above.

It sounds obvious but make sure they are all on the same IP address range so the recording PC can see them all. Sounds obvious! But when it was put in here to begin with the monkeys/cowboys that did it managed to plug the 20 cameras into 20 ports that were dedicated over 3 of the vLANs seperately, thus we could only see about 8 of the cameras as the recording PC can only 'see' one IP range at once. ARGH!

This requirded re-configuration of the ports on the switches to allow the assignment of IP addresses in the same range accross the cameras.
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 23rd May 2012 at 10:51 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks. As I'm not that good on VLANS I have to ask if it's possible for site manager/HT to access CCTV system if it's on a different VLAN to the rest of the school?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobos View Post
    Thanks. As I'm not that good on VLANS I have to ask if it's possible for site manager/HT to access CCTV system if it's on a different VLAN to the rest of the school?
    Yep its possible

Thank Post
    We have a Qvis systm here, different VLAN. May I say though Zoneminder for Linux looks very good!

Linux - Zoneminder

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,443 Posts
    We use Milestone which ranges from free for 8 cameras , upto cheapish for 26 cameras and onto mega expensive for lots of cameras with other options n between.

Installed on a windows server that has 2 nics, 1 nic is plugged into a port for the vlan that the cameras are on and the other port is plugged into a normal port so that the authorised users can connect to it from the desktop app or phone app.

Ben

sdc
    Thank Post
    We have Y-Cam bullet cameras on the same network (no VLAN separation) with no issues - around 10 cameras. All controlled and recorded to a VioStor device. Cameras, PSUs and NVR all purchased from Network Webcams, who are very helpful.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    We use Milestone which ranges from free for 8 cameras , upto cheapish for 26 cameras and onto mega expensive for lots of cameras with other options n between.

Installed on a windows server that has 2 nics, 1 nic is plugged into a port for the vlan that the cameras are on and the other port is plugged into a normal port so that the authorised users can connect to it from the desktop app or phone app.

Ben
    @plexer:
    Sounds like the sort of system I had in mind. Is the server dedicated for just for the CCTV and what spec is it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,443 Posts
    The server runs our CCTV and Access Control system but that's all.

It's a Dell R200 can give you exact spec if you want but any decent modern server would be fine, the drawback with this one is that it only takes 2 drives I think it is so limits slightly the amount of recording space.

Something you could add some extra drives in to would be my preference.

Ben

Thank Post
    A decent resolution recording to a NAS generates about 500 Kbps of LAN traffic this can be controlled by reducing frame rates, motion detection and resolution.
    So 2 cameras 1mbps and 20 = 10mbps
    Add to this any monitoring traffic such as premises manager, HT displaying to big screen etc you can really start to eat into your uplink capabilities.

VLANs alone is not a solution for CCTV, just because the packet has a different header on it, it still has to travel across the same uplinks as all of your data traffic!

I have 90 cameras on site and another 10 remote ones that record to a 6 x DVR Array
    We use VLANs, Aggregated uplinks & QOS to ensure that the Data & VoIP traffic gets priority at all times.
    Where possible we use dedicated fibre between cabinets to provide an exclusive physical LAN for the CCTV traffic.
    This is especially useful for when they want to drag huge AVI files from the DVRs across the LAN for burning to DVD.

As usual it's all down to the economy of scale.
    For one or two cams you can afford to leave them on your data LAN without issue anything more you need to do some proper Maths!

13. Thanks to m25man from:

Jobos (23rd May 2012)

Thank Post
    Hi Ben,

I am trying to do the same setup as you have done with Milestone CCTV software. I am having a bit of issues with it

XProtect Go

XProtect Smart Client 32-bit 7.0b 220.3 MB Download
    XProtect Server-Side XProtect Smart Client 32-bit Download

I have downloaded the above two software from the website and installed XProtect Smart Client 32-bit software on windows 7 server but unable to install XProtect Server-Side XProtect Smart Client 32-bit on it.

We will buy the 26 camera software once we are happy with it…

Any suggestion/advice will be appreciated.....

Thank Post
    Try giving Andy at Inivatech a call.

We was passed to him by Milestone themselves. He's very knowledgeable on the Software..

Thank Post
    Milestone here as well running on a 2U custom server we designed.

Hardware costs for the server was under 600 and that's been designed to go to 32 cameras without an upgrade. Just used desktop parts as well so easy job to do a DIY on.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast