+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Physical Security Thread, Door Access Control Systems in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    What's the sort of cost per door roughly? I've raised this at our place that as part of our refurb program we are about to start we should fit this style of system onto all new / replaced doors but I get shouted down that its far too expensive.

I asked for it on IT Room Doors as a priority instead got all matched keys on them of which about half a dozen have gone missing and people still forget to lock the darned doors....

I may just stick it on the Server Room and my Office Door anyway and be high-tech and you never know one day it may then spread as how hard can it be to fit yourself....
    We have just started putting SALTO locks in; easy to install (just replace the door handles), powered by 3 AAA batteries (good for 20.000 openings)
    The SA version is around £240 per door (need a programming device PPD)
    The WiFi version is about £330 per door and you need a gateway (SALTO access point) for £145, but than you have live access to the door.
    They are using mifare cards or fobs (whatever you like).
    I wish I had seen the SALTO system a year ago, before we fitted a paxtan net2 front door access system in (£2700), which of course is only compatible with paxtan cards.
    Over all costs for 3 SA locks and 3 WiFi locks including SW (SQL DB), card reader for registering the card), gateway,PPD and 100 mifare cards
    =£2525 (thats £420 per door)

Thank Post
    Nice thread man you seem smart ;D

3. Thanks to Nope from:

wensleydale (20th September 2011)

Thank Post
    ANother for Paxton here too

Thank Post
    On a similar thread, so i thought I'd tack on the end of this thread rather than create a new one, does anyone have access control on their toilet doors? We've been asked to investigate putting thumbprint scanners on toilet doors, so we know who's entering them so vandalism can be traced/prevented (with some alternative system for thumbprint optouts). We already use thumbprint recognition for cashless catering, printing and the library.

I've pointed out to our management that a camera system (in the corridors outside the toilets) would be more practicable, but they are still keen. If anyone's got a similar system, or got any useful info, I'd be very interested.

TIA,

Richard Wilson

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Meldrew View Post
    On a similar thread, so i thought I'd tack on the end of this thread rather than create a new one, does anyone have access control on their toilet doors? We've been asked to investigate putting thumbprint scanners on toilet doors, so we know who's entering them so vandalism can be traced/prevented (with some alternative system for thumbprint optouts). We already use thumbprint recognition for cashless catering, printing and the library.

I've pointed out to our management that a camera system (in the corridors outside the toilets) would be more practicable, but they are still keen. If anyone's got a similar system, or got any useful info, I'd be very interested.

TIA,

Richard Wilson
    You are joking, arn't you?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts
    There's enough controvesy over fingerprints for library systems and cashless catering never mind when needing a pee.

Ben

Thank Post
    Just want to update. Our expensive paxton system is now reduced to a cover lock from saturday to sunday. Our maindoor is controlled with a SALTO lock as well as an other 3 doors. We are now able to issue only one access card, controlled by as many calendars,timezones,timeperiods, etc as you like, which was not possible with the paxton system. Our SALTO solution now comprise of 3 wifi access points (control of 6 doors), 1 wired access door and 3 non wifi locks. We will continue to expand the system. I was never before so confident in a system like this. Next will be controlling an all weather pitch.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wensleydale View Post
    You are joking, arn't you?
    No, completely serious - but I think that the school has changed their mind now that I've got a quote for installation!

Thank Post
    we don't actually use them in our college, but they are a private partner with the college and i've used them/worked with them personally in another life! Access Control | TDSi Access Control

Thank Post
    Fingerprint readers in that situation are really expensive and easy to get around. Someone could kick the door in and you'd still be none the wiser. Ideal solution is to use a camera that can cover the whole area. Mobotix Q24 gives a 360 degree angle, so can cover several cubicles from the outside. Obviously you need to be careful with placement, but we have had considerable success in schools with this sort of problem. Other benefits are the camera is self contained, can sit directly on your network, is powered by PoE and comes with free software. Oh and the picture quality is like watching TV.

Thank Post
    We also are looking at having a Paxton system installed.

We are also having new photocopier's installed and we are going to use contact-less cards.

We would like to use the Cards for both systems copiers and doors but i am unsure if this is possible.

Any info would be great.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, it can be done.

It depends on your copiers and your print management software.

For example, I know it can be done with Ricoh copiers and PaperCut MFD (speak to Ross at Selectec, he helped me with a load of Papercut related stuff at my last school).

Thank Post
    we are going to use pcounter.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenw View Post
    we are going to use pcounter.
    Have never seen a version of Pcounter which has that much intergration - I may be wrong

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Can you use Oyster cards for access control?
    Yes, you can - I was at the London Hackspace the other day, and that's exactly what they've done for their access control system.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast