+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Physical Security Thread, Door Access Control Systems in Technical; We use the Paxton Net2 system. We have a contract with a local firm to do all the installations and ...

Thank Post
    We use the Paxton Net2 system. We have a contract with a local firm to do all the installations and support. The day to day administration is done by our Facilities manager. The only real thing we help with is the networking, maintaining the PC the database runs on and the odd upgrade.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    We also use the Net2 software to control doors, simple bit of software.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Give the Brooke Weston Partnership a call and take a trip to see what they use in their schools ... they are only up the road.

TYO

Thank Post
    We use a fingerprint system from synel reading from our biostore database, i woudnt recommend it as the readers are not that great.

hijacking the thread abit i was just wondering how much other schools are locked down?

we have two gates set up with auto modes to open automatically at certain times, with grouploops to get out, fingerprint/card reader, fobs and intercom to get in

followed by reception doors with auto modes, fingerprint, cards, intercom to get in and RTE button to get out

aswell as fingerprint/card access to 5 server/comms rooms in the school.

the system uses equipment from synel, jacksons and dorma. it also links in to the fire alarm and inturder alarm system and is getting very difficult to support.

Thank Post
    We encounter a lot of door entry systems when people ask us if they can use the same card to log onto a MFD for print/copy release. 9/10 it's a paxton system the site is using.
    My local college uses it and gave me a quick tour of the product - seemed to do everything you would want.

Thank Post
    We use the enGuard system with magstripe cards and also program the numbers of these into our MFP solution (PCounter), all works good.

Thank Post
    Another Paxton Net2 vote here, it's the primary access control system for my other job.

The RF ID cards were big problem at first though, most didn't work but the we found the hole punched in them for the lanyards went right through the Chip! doh...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts
    which is why we use badge holders.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Most companies also offer prepunched versions of their cards to prevent users doing that

Thank Post
    Can you use Oyster cards for access control? Most people at the school here would already have an Oyster card, and they're easy enough to get hold of if anyone needs one. Would a generic near-field / RF ID card reader be able to read a unique ID from an Oyster card that could be used to identify an individual?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Can you use Oyster cards for access control? Most people at the school here would already have an Oyster card, and they're easy enough to get hold of if anyone needs one. Would a generic near-field / RF ID card reader be able to read a unique ID from an Oyster card that could be used to identify an individual?
    I don't see why not. The original Oyster cards were simply Mifare cards, and the new ones are Mifare DESFire. So, you should be able to do something with compatible readers.

12. Thanks to localzuk from:

dhicks (3rd April 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,063 Times in 754 Posts
    We went for stand alone options years ago and to tell you the truth it has worked so well for the cost but it would depend on your access points and how you wanted to manage them.

Here is what we have used for the past 6 years: Products | Micro Touch Key (MTK) | Borer Data Systems

Probably out of date now but works exceptionally well and very inexpensive.

We only have 2 entrances, one is the staff entrance and the other is the reception entrance, only the staff have keyfobs and the reception has a manual override button which only the receptionist has access to for letting in guests and visitors.

The students use a different access point which is closed after a certain time in the morning and only opened when students leave for home lunch or at the end of the day. This has worked extremely well and as we use registration at every lesson there is no need for students to register as they come into school.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    We went for stand alone options years ago and to tell you the truth it has worked so well for the cost but it would depend on your access points and how you wanted to manage them.

Here is what we have used for the past 6 years: Products | Micro Touch Key (MTK) | Borer Data Systems

Probably out of date now but works exceptionally well and very inexpensive.

We only have 2 entrances, one is the staff entrance and the other is the reception entrance, only the staff have keyfobs and the reception has a manual override button which only the receptionist has access to for letting in guests and visitors.

The students use a different access point which is closed after a certain time in the morning and only opened when students leave for home lunch or at the end of the day. This has worked extremely well and as we use registration at every lesson there is no need for students to register as they come into school.
    That sort of solution will work great for small scale installations like you have, however if you're like us, and have the electronic system on internal doors too, then a full fledged system is the only way to go.

We have Paxton Net2 locks on about 25 doors now I think. We're slowly implementing it to replace keys internally.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That sort of solution will work great for small scale installations like you have, however if you're like us, and have the electronic system on internal doors too, then a full fledged system is the only way to go.

We have Paxton Net2 locks on about 25 doors now I think. We're slowly implementing it to replace keys internally.
    What's the sort of cost per door roughly? I've raised this at our place that as part of our refurb program we are about to start we should fit this style of system onto all new / replaced doors but I get shouted down that its far too expensive.

I asked for it on IT Room Doors as a priority instead got all matched keys on them of which about half a dozen have gone missing and people still forget to lock the darned doors....

I may just stick it on the Server Room and my Office Door anyway and be high-tech and you never know one day it may then spread as how hard can it be to fit yourself....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    which is why we use badge holders.
    Which is what we now have... but even then they couldn't get it right, having printed all of the ID cards in portrait mode the person responsible for it all got Landscape badge holders !
    Plonker..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast