+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 61
Physical Security Thread, Freedom of Information Act request in Technical; If you sent your FoI info to them anonymously then it's likely they hold no personal info about you but ...
  1. #46

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,144
    Thank Post
    113
    Thanked 518 Times in 447 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    121
    If you sent your FoI info to them anonymously then it's likely they hold no personal info about you but you're obviously entitled to ask for the info they do hold.

    I'm sure we all know why companies are using FoI like this - @BrotherSidious says they could just have sent a customer survey. Well, of course they could (and perhaps they did) but most such things end up in the bin. If you're trying to keep your business successful then you need to use every available method to find possible openings.

    I'm sure the FoI Act wasn't passed solely for the purpose of helping businesses during a recession but I see no reason why it shouldn't be used like that.

    I know some people get incredibly worked up about people phoning them trying to sell stuff and I've never understood why - it really shouldn't be a big deal (but I suppose some people just like having something to get upset about - witness all the ranty people on radio phone-ins and TV programmes or look at the Daily Mail etc for ample evidence of that)

  2. #47
    Crispin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    361
    Thank Post
    76
    Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts
    Rep Power
    19
    My problem is that I simply don't have the time to answer hundreds of sales calls! It's not just an inconvenience it's a waste of my time, and usually, time I don't have. I'm not sure how many sales calls you get but after we reach the first 5-10 by mid morning (especially when they lie and scam to try and get information/money out of us) I think it's perfectly reasonable to get worked up!

    If you're going to use an FoI request as a means of scouting commercial opportunities then that really is the last straw, why would I want to deal with anyone like that...

  3. #48

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,096
    Thank Post
    511
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    803
    Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    My problem is that I simply don't have the time to answer hundreds of sales calls! It's not just an inconvenience it's a waste of my time, and usually, time I don't have. I'm not sure how many sales calls you get but after we reach the first 5-10 by mid morning (especially when they lie and scam to try and get information/money out of us) I think it's perfectly reasonable to get worked up!

    If you're going to use an FoI request as a means of scouting commercial opportunities then that really is the last straw, why would I want to deal with anyone like that...
    Go with my new line 'Sorry we don't do business with cold callers'. Ends calls quickly I find.

  4. #49

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,144
    Thank Post
    113
    Thanked 518 Times in 447 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Go with my new line 'Sorry we don't do business with cold callers'. Ends calls quickly I find.
    Agreed. Add the word "Goodbye", put the phone down, job done in about 10 seconds and life moves on!

  5. #50
    BrotherSidious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    27
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 12 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    I have phoned SCC regarding this. The person who would be best placed to deal with my query was on the phone but is going to call me back. I explained about "Tom Elliiot" and the SCC reply. The person I spoke to was extremely concerned as neither Tom Elliot or the person who was named on the read receipt are listed in the company directory and as far as they can tell they do not exist. They are looking in to this urgently and I will update everyone when they return my call. The lady I spoke to did thank me for bringing this to their attention as it is concerning for all of us.
    Last edited by BrotherSidious; 8th July 2010 at 10:04 AM.

  6. 4 Thanks to BrotherSidious:

    BatchFile (8th July 2010), elsiegee40 (13th July 2010), ICT_GUY (8th July 2010), speckytecky (8th July 2010)

  7. #51
    TheLibrarian
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I'm sure the FoI Act wasn't passed solely for the purpose of helping businesses during a recession but I see no reason why it shouldn't be used like that.
    The issue isn't that they sent an FoI request per se, it is that the request is from a company hiding behind a Google mail address and possibly even using a fake name.
    To me that immediately raises trust issues.

    If a customer survey hadn't been responded to and then they followed up with an FoI that I would find acceptable assuming also not hidden behind an alias.


    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I know some people get incredibly worked up about people phoning them trying to sell stuff and I've never understood why - it really shouldn't be a big deal (but I suppose some people just like having something to get upset about - witness all the ranty people on radio phone-ins and TV programmes or look at the Daily Mail etc for ample evidence of that)
    I'm not sure how your establishment works, but ours only buys when we are ready and the purchases are planned, special offers be d****d it's not planned spending so we won't spend. Sales calls are a complete waste of both parties time unless the other party is calling to introduce themselves as a new supplier or inform us of an account manager change.
    Wasting time explaining (usually not for the first time) that we will send offers to tender when we require something is irritating - or at least IMO irritating.

  8. 2 Thanks to TheLibrarian:

    BatchFile (8th July 2010), elsiegee40 (13th July 2010)

  9. #52
    BrotherSidious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    27
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 12 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Sales director's PA just phoned to confirm they are investigating the issue and they will call me back. Must admit they have phoned back very promptly and seem genuinely concerned by this.

    As of 14:10 had no call back back but I suspect it may take them a while to investigate this.
    Last edited by BrotherSidious; 8th July 2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Updated

  10. 3 Thanks to BrotherSidious:

    BatchFile (8th July 2010), elsiegee40 (13th July 2010), speckytecky (8th July 2010)

  11. #53

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glos
    Posts
    1
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    I haven't posted on here before, but found this thread very useful when I was checking out this FOIA email, so thought I'd register to share this.

    I emailed the company yesterday morning and had a long detailed reply today (at 6.30pm on a Friday evening!) full of apologies and claiming the anonymous email ID was to get unbiased data (hmm...) and was common practice although they've not used it with schools before. It appears they did not expect the response they've had from schools.

    I get lots of email surveys from Schoolzone and the like, and they always manage to say who they are; my step-daughter, who works in marketing, raised her eyebrows when I asked her opinion.

  12. Thanks to ChrisIJ from:

    elsiegee40 (13th July 2010)

  13. #54
    BrotherSidious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    27
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 12 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Following on from my phone coversation I have recieved a reply. This email follows what Chris has said in the post above. In brief summary:

    FOI is used to get info that is otherwise difficult to obtain
    This is the first time they have used FOI with Schools
    They send it as someone else so the get an unbiased response

    However, they go on to state that they did not think this would cause such a reaction within schools and as such "have instructed the data team to stop any such activity in schools".

    As such, I feel that as a company they have listened to our concerns and addressed our issues so for me personally this is now satisfactorily resolved.
    Last edited by BrotherSidious; 11th July 2010 at 08:14 AM.

  14. 4 Thanks to BrotherSidious:

    BatchFile (12th July 2010), duncane (11th July 2010), elsiegee40 (13th July 2010), ICT_GUY (13th July 2010)

  15. #55
    bigaitchc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi
    I would like an opinion about sending this reply to the company.......

    Following some information I have gathered, I understand you have emailed my school amongst others regarding a FOI request related to ICT using the email tomeliott77@googlemail.com
    What concerns me is that you have used an anonymous ‘alias’ to ascertain such information, and if you so request I will still respond with the information.
    But I will add your company to the list of companies I will not deal with and I will be ensuring that my fellow Somerset schools are aware which company has caused this much work at the busiest point of our school term.
    I will await confirmation you still wish to receive this information and will then reply by the 4th September (20 working days from original request on 30th June)
    You are free to use any information I will supply for your own use, including for non-commercial research purposes. The information may also be used for the purposes of news reporting. However, any other type of re-use, for example, by publishing the information, using it for marketing purposes or issuing copies to the public will require the permission of the copyright owner."

    Bigaitchc

  16. #56

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,855
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 777 Times in 650 Posts
    Rep Power
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by bigaitchc View Post
    Hi
    I would like an opinion about sending this reply to the company.......
    I'd just forward it to the company asking if it is from them and if they'd like the opportunity to withdraw the request.

  17. #57

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    12,977
    Thank Post
    587
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,342 Posts
    Rep Power
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by BrotherSidious View Post
    Following on from my phone coversation I have recieved a reply. This email follows what Chris has said in the post above. In brief summary:

    FOI is used to get info that is otherwise difficult to obtain
    This is the first time they have used FOI with Schools
    They send it as someone else so the get an unbiased response

    However, they go on to state that they did not think this would cause such a reaction within schools and as such "have instructed the data team to stop any such activity in schools".

    As such, I feel that as a company they have listened to our concerns and addressed our issues so for me personally this is now satisfactorily resolved.
    Can you post or pm the contact details for you contact at this company please?

    Thanks.

    Ben

  18. #58
    bigaitchc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    I'd just forward it to the company asking if it is from them and if they'd like the opportunity to withdraw the request.
    I have been advised by the local authority I do have to comply!

  19. #59
    BrotherSidious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    27
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 12 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Bigaitchc. When did you receive this request as if it is from Tom Elliot then I was advised that their Data Team were instructed to stop sending these last Friday.

    I am not sure about posting the contact details for the email I received back from them directly on this forum but I will PM them to individuals if requested.

  20. #60
    bigaitchc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    3
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    [QUOTE=BrotherSidious;541919]Bigaitchc. When did you receive this request as if it is from Tom Elliot then I was advised that their Data Team were instructed to stop sending these last Friday.

    I am not sure about posting the contact details for the email I received back from them directly on this forum but I will PM them to individuals if requested.[/QUOTE

    Hi it came to me on 30th June.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Freedom of Information Act - Telephones
    By tech_guy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 4th December 2009, 10:25 PM
  2. Request for input: Information teachers need to make good choices
    By johnwinkley in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 16th March 2009, 11:16 AM
  3. Freedom Of Information Policies
    By EduTech in forum Wiki Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17th June 2008, 09:05 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •