+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Physical Security Thread, Door Security in Technical; Not sure exactly how I got myself into this but somehow I'm now involved in looking at options for our ...
    Thank Post

Door Security

Not sure exactly how I got myself into this but somehow I'm now involved in looking at options for our Door Security system. Basically the school is looking at replacing/upgrading the door security software (currently WinTACS), and are looking at what is possible.

As you can tell I have no idea whats available on the market and I dont know if the software are proprietary (i.e. software will only work with hardware from the company and vice versa).

What do you guys use? and how does it work?

Thank Post
    Paxton seems to be the one recommended a lot round here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Generally, the software matches the hardware. Paxton works with Paxton controllers etc...

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info guys, and I've been doing some research (google fu) on WinTACS and it seems that its written for Tower and Integra systems. That in mind I think i need to look for software that supports those systems, dont think thats going to be easy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, and I've been doing some research (google fu) on WinTACS and it seems that its written for Tower and Integra systems. That in mind I think i need to look for software that supports those systems, dont think thats going to be easy.
    Ours is all Paxton Net2, works ok. I recon I could install it all myself ( door controllers and all ) now I have seen it. if you have a looped system then it may be easy to just swap the door controllers leaving the releases. Same goes for a IP system.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Salto here.
    Netgenium looks interesting.

Ben

Thank Post
    Paxton all the way.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info, I will look into it.

Thank Post
    Really depends on what you need it to do. Paxton's a great system for all general purpose access control but if you wanted lift control, then I would recommend Inner Range or Honeywell.
    If you're looking for a system with lots of doors and difficult cable routes then perhaps a Salto system would be good (then you need to decide whether it is offline or online).

So many systems, so little time. It all comes down to your requirements and what info you would like to get out of it. e.g. time & attendance, fire alarm integration, reports & alerts, other systems etc.

Thank Post
    Kerisys is used here (Keri Systems - Access Control Systems, Integrated Security). Their newer .Net software seems pretty good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,675 Posts
    When I read the title - I thought you needed a bouncer..
    Actually, that could work pretty well. 6ft 4 or so, built like a brick, um, outhouse, muscles on his (or her!) muscles.

12. Thanks to witch from:

jonnykewell1 (4th October 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Moving to Physical Security forum.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Paxton. We are about to extend its use for Firealarm roll call for staff and VIth Form.

It has a series of IOS app that allow for secure remote control and roll call etc.

We use one proximity card for all our systems, catering, access control, library, reprographics. It works great, and with our new cctv upgrade (which no one told me about) we have now (by co-incidence) got a system that can be linked to triggers from the paxton system as well.

It has taken a number of years to get this level of integration, and careful manipulation of key stakeholders so that the purchasing decisions are the 'correct' ones. As you might imagine if you totalled up all the work required to get to where we are it is quite a large number... and not something the school would ever have swallowed in one go.

Thank Post
    I've got ACT otherwise known as Access Control Technology of Ireland. Its a hardwired system that is on all of the classroom and external doors. Works pretty well and a company called Cyclone makes a SIMS connection module. We put all our card ID's into SIMS as a user defined field and twice per day this copies all the card IDs in SIMS to the door control server. ACT have recently brought out the wireless door handles which fits over most door hardware and should allow you to adapt your current internal doors. The external doors would need (as with any system) hard wiring and ensure that they release on fire. We use 10k MiFare cards. Most schools here in Bristol use SALTO but that system can be expensive compared to others and you need to purchase cards from SALTO. That said they do a lot of different hardware types that most other manufacturers don't. I would visit other schools with your site manager and find out the best one to fit your schools needs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_2k View Post
    The external doors would need (as with any system) hard wiring and ensure that they release on fire. We use 10k MiFare cards. Most schools here in Bristol use SALTO but that system can be expensive compared to others and you need to purchase cards from SALTO. That said they do a lot of different hardware types that most other manufacturers don't.
    We used to have a single door out from reception and it had a SALTO battery handle on it they are fine for exit as the standard handles always allow egress.

SALTO on-line doors with mag locks are a similar price to the other systems i.e Paxton but the battery handle solution is much cheaper than any others I've seen.

You don't have to purchase SALTO cards if you have your own SAM kit as you can SAM blank mifare cards yourself but you would only do that if you had thousands and thousands of users as it is expensive.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast