+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Physical Security Thread, Mifare Cards, Paxton Net2 and integration with other systems in Technical; Originally Posted by robk We are in the middle of installing a Paxton Net 2 system with Mifare cards to ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robk View Post
    We are in the middle of installing a Paxton Net 2 system with Mifare cards to allow integration with other systems (MFDs is our next project).
    We've had a look at a Paxton door-entry system, and I thought about exactly the same thing - can we re-use the same cards for door entry and MFD access, and can we use people's Oyster cards (we're in central London, pretty much everyone will have one) so people only have to lug around one card. We use Equitrak for print management, which we have set to pick up user's PINs from an attribute set in Active Directory (Extended Attribute 1). I'm vaughly assuming we can do the same for card IDs - simply store that 8 or 10 digit number from a card in Extended Attribute 2 and have Equitrak pick that up as the card ID.

Another option for door entry is for us to make our own door entry system. I've tried a proximity card reader with a Raspberry Pi, but you need a powered USB hub to provide enough power for the reader.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    http://www.paxton.co.uk/spotlight.as...ge=MifareRange You may need to check with paxton as to compatability.

Ben

3. Thanks to plexer from:

dhicks (13th May 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    FWIW I have always found the Paxton guys to be extremely helpful and supportive. Try giving them a call (and posting back your findings for the greater good).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    FWIW 2: We have three completely separate card systems. If I ever manage to co-ordinate the various members of SLT with responsibility for them, we will probably consolidate down to one card type, and manually load the card serial number into each system. The holy grail of automated integration looks to be a bridge too far. We'll improve efficiency though if we move the card programming role to a single individual (with a deputy) with the three systems loaded onto their desktop. If we try to use AD as the central repository for the card ID, then it will end up being IT who make and issue the cards, and quite frankly my team have better things to be doing than school-admin tasks.

Thank Post
    BioStore are able to integrate with Paxton Net 2 and most other application as far as I'm aware, might be worth giving them a call to find out if they can do what you want.

Thank Post
    Beaware there are several types of Mifare card available and as I have found out this last week most card readers all read them differently. You can reprogram some card readers especially those used for PCounter and Papercut and get them to read the same. You may need to send a card off with with a number programmed in and they should be able to send you a file to upload to the card reader with appropriate software. I have just recoded 8 readers, not up on the ins and outs of it just managed it in the end.

8. Thanks to MatthewL from:

robk (13th May 2013)

Thank Post
    can get a little complicated.

first up readers:
    no right or wrong - some read hex some decimal by default and with that you also get the number forwards or backwards. Luckily papercut and or the readers can be programmed to change the config if needed.

paxton cards:
    in my experience they are mainly HiTag2 cards with some being Mifare. They have their own special/magic bit on the card that their own system reads then you will have a unique serial number that other readers (such as those from Rfideas) will read. No need to read the exact same number due to self-registration.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12