+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Our Advertisers Thread, Millgate Points! in Purchasing and Trading; Hi guys, You may have seen i started a thread last week asking what offers you guys would like to ...

Thank Post

Millgate Points!

Hi guys,

You may have seen i started a thread last week asking what offers you guys would like to see? Thanks for the feedback

I've had a think over the weekend and meetings to discuss and I've come up with Millgate points!

How it works is:

1) You ask me for what you want
    2) I'll give you a quote
    3) I'll add on the email how many points you would get if you placed the order
    4) You can either spend them there and then or save them up!

You can spend the points on whatever you want from us. Mice, keyboards, screens whatever!

I'm going to think up some xmas promos too.

Let me know what you think and if you need any prices, just drop me an email to luke.jones@millgate.co.uk and quote Millgate Points!

Cheers

Luke
    Last edited by Millgate; 24th October 2011 at 02:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    2 Millgate points for every £1.00 spent, Millgate days out vouchers?

Thank Post
    Ha, it's not as straight forward as that buddy. You will get quite a lot of points though and every point i give is worth £1.

@plexer: If you want day out vouchers, that's fine with me. Just need some points!

Thank Post
    I know it's half term for a lot of people but i wanted to see if people had any feedback or questions about this idea?

I want the good, bad and the ugly

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea...just a shame your company doesn't do personal orders!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I like the idea...just a shame your company doesn't do personal orders!
    I know! The easiest way to do that would be for you to pay the company or school you work for and then we can invoice the school.

(I appreciate it might not always be doable)

Thank Post
    On the minus side : Why don't you just always give people your best possible price on any quote first time (see point 3 (rant!))? If I KNOW you are giving me £1 off future orders for every £n on this order, then I effectively know you could discount this order by £n/x.

On the plus side : Good stab at going for customer retention which might make it more likely that you will still be in business in a years time to support what I bought today.

On a personal rant : what I really really really hate is companies that put in a tender and then when I tell them they were beaten on price, say they can do it cheaper. Why oh why oh why didn't they give me their best price in the first place. What am I meant to do, re-run the whole tender process just for them?

8. Thanks to pcstru from:

Millgate (25th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    On the minus side : Why don't you just always give people your best possible price on any quote first time (see point 3 (rant!))? If I KNOW you are giving me £1 off future orders for every £n on this order, then I effectively know you could discount this order by £n/x.

On the plus side : Good stab at going for customer retention which might make it more likely that you will still be in business in a years time to support what I bought today.

On a personal rant : what I really really really hate is companies that put in a tender and then when I tell them they were beaten on price, say they can do it cheaper. Why oh why oh why didn't they give me their best price in the first place. What am I meant to do, re-run the whole tender process just for them?
    I will always give you my best price first time, these points are just an added bonus that other companies don't do. So I'll beat what you pay and reward you for your business. There are sometimes though when a client comes to me and says "Luke, we can't afford that" or "is there anything you can do?" and I can go beat up the vendor to get a better price for you.

That's one of the main differences between me and companies like Insight, I do all the buying whereas they press a button and that's it so they can't negotiate on the price.

From feedback on here last week i got the impression that IT guys and gals want things for themselves as well as the best price so by collecting these points, you can get whatever you want.

Even if you just want to use me for comparisons, that's fine. I want to show you all where I come in price wise and service wise and hopefully you'll be impressed

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You always managed to beat several companies without me mentioning any prices to you so you have earned my business that way, now all you need to do is open up to the public and you will be set....fine the public margins are smaller, but they offer a larger market share, especially if its us geeks doing the trade

11. Thanks to featured_spectre from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Be careful with the "want things for themselves" it could be taken the wrong way.

Ben

13. Thanks to plexer from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Millgate View Post
    That's one of the main differences between me and companies like Insight, I do all the buying whereas they press a button and that's it so they can't negotiate on the price.
    If you're saying you can beat Insight, who besides the IT Index are normally really cheap for us, I may put that to the test for you next time I am looking for some bits

Quote Originally Posted by Millgate View Post
    From feedback on here last week i got the impression that IT guys and gals want things for themselves as well as the best price so by collecting these points, you can get whatever you want.
    Seems like an interesting idea. You note it's £1 worth in goods available for every point? How much does each point translate to in real-terms? For instance with Tesco clubcard you get 1 point for every £1 spent (except when they do double points!), but need 100 points for it to be worth £1

15. Thanks to dgsmith from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts
    OK Millgate points sound a good idea, but at my school at least, I would still be buying from the best quote... You may be a trusted supplier, but we can't afford not to take up the cheapest quote.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Elsiegee its the same at loads of places at the minute, schools are squeezing every penny as best as possible.

Best quotes / beating up suppliers for the best quote should be done from the off. Some places (like misco) just give the best price immediately and don't budge at all...

Thank Post
    I can't do a set "every £10 spent equals 1 point" because everything has different margins so every time I give you a quote, I'll tell you how many points its worth.

Regarding beating Insight and the rest of the big boys, I certainly can. I used to work for Insight so I know how they work and I thought that because they're HUGE, they would be the cheapest but they're not. I'm not going to start saying negative things about other companies because that's not what I'm about but it's a common thought!

They are good on some things such as when they buy in 500000000000 of one printer or something then 90% of the time, that is the best price you will find. But give me a go the next time you're after something and I'll be happy to quote

As you can see, I do work a lot after hours too so you can get in touch anytime (I'm sad I know)

@plexer thanks for that buddy

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Bloody phone!

And then you get some suppliers who say they give their best price, then when you say you have a better one by a fair bit they then come back and say the supplier has given me a bit of room on the pricing etc...the ones that do the former are usually my base quote, the ones that do the latter I don't trust as they try to get a high mark up first then when they realise you can get a better price elsewhere they cut their margins to make the sale, and the ones that say they have a rough price but need to get back on specifics are the ones I usually go with. I will ALWAYS drill the best price I possibly can.

Luke has always given me prices that are literally within a few pence of the best quotes (one case he was 5p different to another quote, and another instance 25p, and a 3rd instance 90p) and if its a supplier that I dont trust or I use as a base quote, I will go with Luke (or whoever).

The millgate points thing may be seen as a kickback btw (looking at it objectively from an outsider POV).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast