+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Our Advertisers Thread, Ideas on where to get custom PC from in Purchasing and Trading; ...
    Thank Post

Cool Ideas on where to get custom PC from

Hi everyone, could do with some advice on where to get a new computer to run our IP CCTV software from. We use a peice of software called ICatcher, which to be honest considering it was only a few hundred pounds is a really good peice of kit. However when i installed this software it was an experimental idea so i used an old desktop (HP 5150). Put in 2 x 500GB HDD's set them up as RAID 1 with the built in controller and gradually added cameras. We now have 6 axis cameras running on it and it works very well except the CPU is stuggling its running at a constant 90% usage.
    This system has proved so popular with the various depts that they want to add up to 24 cameras. So i have been authorised to buy a better PC to run it on.

So in order to make it future proof as best i can i need specs similar to these

2 x Quad Core CPU
    2 x 1TB HDD (RAID 0) for footage plus 1 x 250GB HDD for OS
    3 GB Ram (Doesnt use much)
    2x 1GB NIC's teamed for 2GB throughput
    Motherboard must have at least 3 xPCI slots free

Once the system is setup i will take an image of the system HDD as its wont change very much over the years. The footage data will need fast write capabilities, but will only be used when the software detects movement, so RAID 0 is fine because it will not really need to be backed up.

Need to get this for around the £1000 - £1200 mark.

Any ideas on who would be a good comapany to quote us for such a system?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,616 Posts
    Have a chat with Simon at CPLTD; he's very good on custombuilds

3. 2 Thanks to elsiegee40:

Bezwick (11th May 2010), CPLTD (11th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    *EDIT* nevermind!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Stone might make you a custom pc - not sure if they will just do single order tho,

Or order the parts and build yourself?

6. Thanks to glennda from:

Bezwick (11th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezwick View Post
    This system has proved so popular with the various depts that they want to add up to 24 cameras.
    Have you checked with perfmon what the load on your current mirrored disks are?

Once the system is setup i will take an image of the system HDD as its wont change very much over the years. The footage data will need fast write capabilities, but will only be used when the software detects movement, so RAID 0 is fine because it will not really need to be backed up.
    I'm not being funny, but really get that "it will not need to be backed up" thing confimed by SMT in writing - you don't want to be the one who has to announce a disk failure after the schools had $expensive_thing nicked over the weekend.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 1,968 Posts
    I agree with Pete. I could understand using RAID 10, but RAID 0 for such a critical system is asking for trouble. What happens if the array fails during the night?

9. Thanks to Arthur from:

Bezwick (11th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    RAID 0 is asking for trouble, like it has been stated before RAID10 would be better, but you would need to increase capacity to make up for it!

11. Thanks to nephilim from:

Bezwick (11th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We would be more than happy to quote you for a bespoke build pc, if you would like to ping me over a email with your requirements I will glady put a quotation together for you,

joe@c-p-ltd.com
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 14th June 2012 at 12:03 PM.

13. Thanks to CPLTD from:

Bezwick (11th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Why a custom PC and not a server? I'd personally go for siomething like the Sun Fire X2270 (see Sun Fire X2270 Server - Servers for EDA and Financial Modeling ). As others have said, steer clear of RAID0 as it could prove to be a career limiting move.

15. Thanks to Ric_ from:

Bezwick (11th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Good point about the perfmon, just set one running now will check it in a couple of days. Might be worth getting a RAID system with a good cache on it as it will be writing lots of small files.

As for the backing the footage up i am not really worried about that, as neither myself or the school consider this a vital system. The CCTV is for monitoring lessons, not the school site (we have a seperate system for that). We have had a lot of vandalism during lessons in the computer rooms, and misbehaving kids while with supply teachers. This system is just about catching them so footage will rarely be kept for more the 24-48 hours, and in those cases i will burn it to a dvd.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Have you checked with perfmon what the load on your current mirrored disks are?
    I'm not being funny, but really get that "it will not need to be backed up" thing confimed by SMT in writing - you don't want to be the one who has to announce a disk failure after the schools had $expensive_thing nicked over the weekend.

Thank Post
    We could go for a server and that option will be considered to, however it must be in a tower case as at some point we will probably want to add upto four of these type of cards:-

PC DVR-4-Net™ Security Guardian 4-Camera CCTV PCI Card - Free Delivery : Security PCI DVR Cards : Maplin

Plus where it will be stored is nowhere near our rack cabinets.

The footage being stored on the RAID 0, volume will be treated as handy to have but no great loss if its lost. In other words, speed is far more important than reliability, imagine it in the same way as a proxy server. You dont really care about the cache data, but its handy to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Why a custom PC and not a server? I'd personally go for siomething like the Sun Fire X2270 (see Sun Fire X2270 Server - Servers for EDA and Financial Modeling ). As others have said, steer clear of RAID0 as it could prove to be a career limiting move.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You can buy servers in tower cases.......

Thank Post
    Have you considered the bandwidth load on your network of running more cameras? Not sure on the throughput needed with your system, but worth checking, you could get bottlenecks. May even be worth running a part seperate network for it.

20. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Bezwick (11th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Have you considered the bandwidth load on your network of running more cameras? Not sure on the throughput needed with your system, but worth checking, you could get bottlenecks. May even be worth running a part seperate network for it.
    Bandwidth shouldnt be an issue as each camera is limited to 5-8 megabits of traffic, on its own VLan with no more than 2 on any one switch, connected back to server room by either 1 GB or 10GB fibre. I have also been running this system with 6 cameras since september and the network barely blinked. Its the PC that is running the software that is struggling as the CPU is running at around 80-85%. It has 2 GB ram but using less than half that. HDD appears to be around 0-35% usage, network currently has a 1GB NIc and seams to using less than half that. Hence the custom spec for our new CCTv server.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    You can buy servers in tower cases.......
    Lol, yeah i know that, just the link to the X2270 server was to a 1U rack mount one.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast