+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Our Advertisers Thread, Ruckus Quote Please in Purchasing and Trading; Hello, I've after quotes for a Ruckus Wireless System. I'm after a Ruckus ZoneDirector Controller and approx 30 wireless access ...

Thank Post

Ruckus Quote Please

Hello,

I've after quotes for a Ruckus Wireless System.

I'm after a Ruckus ZoneDirector Controller and approx 30 wireless access points (7962 - Dual Band N (I presume it works with G Devices as well). Also a couple of 7762 External Access Points.

Question if Wireless G Devices connect the AP, will wireless N Speeds be affected or not?

PM me for details/bids if you prefer.

Thanks,

Rob

Thank Post

Xirrus Alternative

Have you considered the Xirrus array system?

If it does what it says, why don't more people go for it?

I am a mature student in my final year at Bournemouth University?

I have seen a demo of it and it seems amazing.

Do any schools use the Xirrus array system?

Less access points, less wires

I don't work for them I can't understand why they are not more widely used

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Had a demo of Xirrus, and it was poor compared to ruckus. the AP's look like space ships, are wide, thick, and do not have the power of the smaller more compact ruckus kit. Ruckus is hands down the better equipment (I have 8 wireless companies come in and ruckus (curtesy of CP) spanked them hands down!)
    Last edited by nephilim; 3rd February 2010 at 09:44 AM.

Thank Post
    I can say from personal experience Xirrus are not very good to work with. Sorry if that offends but it's true.

Thank Post

Check the Math

Our college is installing Xirrus right now. Just got done with testing various systems, including Aruba, Cisco, and Ruckus. Ruckus is good if you're looking for minimum users on 2.4Ghz only. Aruba and Cisco are a step up as they'll give you better performance and security on both 2.4 and 5GHz. All of these are limited though to two radio per AP.

We chose Xirrus -- these Arrays (as they call them) put several 2.4 and 5GHz radios into a single device like mobile towers. One Array is covering 90 pupils across three of our classrooms...all streaming video simultaneously.

The other guys only supported 16 users per AP -- it's simple math -- 8 video users per radio x 2 radios = 16 users. Xirrus had 8 video users per radio x 16 radios = 128 users.

Anyone telling you Ruckus spanked the big guys either goofed on the testing or is getting a kick back of some type. Numbers don't lie.

Thank Post
    Both Xirrus and Ruckus are making noise down unda. We replaced our wired network last year and were swayed to Xirrus after attending the Microsoft PDC conference while on holiday in CA. We are a small school, so we tend to look at what the big guys do. Microsoft said it was best system they found for supporting user density. A military bloke I was chatting with the other night told me that them Marines just bought in on Xirrus too. Anyway...good luck on your choice mate.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZHRVDCwPnU"]YouTube- Microsoft Events Selects Xirrus to Deliver Ultra-High Wi-Fi[/ame]

Thank Post
    We deployed Xirrus here in West Sussex and there are 8 or more of my peers locally with Xirrus site wide and it works like a dream and the local Xirrus guy, Simon Hollister was the most responsive, honest, educated engineer we met from any vendor, and yes we investigated Ruckus (Sponsor of this "independant" website), Aruba, Extricom and the other players but only Xirrus could give us capacity for 1500+ clients concurrently. Do the maths, 8 radios or 2.... , distributed architecture or bandwidth bottlenecking controllers. Only 1 winner, Xirrus.

I see you are based in Kent? We were taken to several Xirrus deployments including 2 in Kent who couldn't say a bad word about Xirrus. I know Simon looks after Kent so i'll ask him about you and see if he validates your experience.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If I was the suspicious type I would wonder why posters from all over the world have decided to make their first posts right in this thread, and all recommending the same product. What are the odds eh?
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 3rd February 2010 at 09:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    And for some reason Chomperhead and Billabong are sharing the same IP address!
    It's just a whole day of coincedences today.

10. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

Jobos (3rd February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    And for some reason Chomperhead and Billabong are sharing the same IP address!
    It's just a whole day of coincedences today.
    Wow, sussex to Australia in 1hr 27mins, what airline you flying?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    And Yony and Nomorelies seem to be using BT Servers pretty close to each other.........
    Time for the ban hammer in the mornign and for us all to have a nice serious talk about Xirrus, their marketing dept and just how good is their kit for schools (price, performance etc). Right here...in the open....where everyone can see it. That'll be nice.

13. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

cookie_monster (3rd February 2010)

Thank Post
    I was getting wireless network performance unlike anything I’d ever seen before.

This was my first experience with beamforming, something I’d only seen vague mention of on long-term WiMAX roadmaps. But here it was in an 802.11n access point from a company I’d never heard of, and it blew away everything I’d ever seen a wireless product do before.
    Guess what AP the respected Tom's Hardware are talking about.

Beamforming: The Best WiFi You?ve Never Seen : Open-Mouthed Amazement - Review Tom's Hardware

Oh and we're very impressed with our Ruckus kit

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ruckus is used at one of the most prestigious schools in the country I been to see it. My personal opinions is I would like to see the central solution work we have very large RSJ and I am sure it would cause problems.

Thank Post
    How much did you guys cost. Did Ruckus give you a little fluffy dog to play with, are you that cheap? You add zero value to your institutions and obviously do not understand physics let alone Wi-Fi. I bet you spend your life playing Call of Duty. Go and configure a desktop, its about your level.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomorelies View Post
    How much did you guys cost. Did Ruckus give you a little fluffy dog to play with, are you that cheap? You add zero value to your institutions and obviously do not understand physics let alone Wi-Fi. I bet you spend your life playing Call of Duty. Go and configure a desktop, its about your level.
    I dont think there is any need for that is there now, everyone is just recommending a product that works very well and as i am yet to hear 1 bad word about it and with many schools purchasing ruckus and implementing it and no one having any problems it cant be cheap and nasty for schools.. can it?

I remember a comment made to me buy people on the Xirrus stand informing me that they had been banned.. the way everything is adding together at the moment and what it looks like i really am not suprised that that happend.

Be Fair and Be Nice! that.. or the ban hammer will come out early

James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast