+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Our Advertisers Thread, Ruckus Quote Please in Purchasing and Trading; No. These guys manage hundreds of systems and thousands of users. They manage budgets, they test kit and trust what ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No. These guys manage hundreds of systems and thousands of users. They manage budgets, they test kit and trust what information they get via EduGeek. They are professionals in every sense of the word and don't like to throw money away, especially on large projects such as site wide managed wireless roll outs. Ruckus may not have all the bells and whistles of higher end kit, but, to be honest, it doesn't need too. It does what we want without the excess cost. Many of our members use other solutions such as Maru and Blue Socket, and they speak highly of them too. It's just that with Ruckus we found a company which was willing to let us play with the kit first. We found it to be excellent, and the rest is history.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes time for an edugeek Xirrus vs Ruckus vs Cisco vs HP vs Aruba shoot out.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    Yes time for an edugeek Xirrus vs Ruckus vs Cisco vs HP vs Aruba shoot out.
    Heh, once the new version of the site is ready we will be having a reviews section, something sadly lacking ATM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    And for some reason Chomperhead and Billabong are sharing the same IP address!
    It's just a whole day of coincedences today.
    Let's not jump to conclusions Dos-Box. Chomperhead and I are not trying to hide anything. We're both sitting here at an ASEE education conference in S.California...both a long way from home. We are friends...at least after meeting and agreeing that Xirrus has a great solution for how we're using Wi-Fi. Is there anything wrong with giving our honest and non-agressive opinions regarding what we've experienced with vendors?

I see a lot of Ruckus love here and no one seems to be accusing them of being sockpuppets for Ruckus or Ruckus marketing.

EduGeek, please don't ban Chomperhead or myself. We have not done anything contrary to the EduGeek agreement or the spirit of this forum.

We are just relating our honest experiences in an attempt to help the original question asked. I for one would love to see a fair bake-off. 90 802.11n 5GHz netbooks in three classrooms streaming video simultaneously. As part of the test, include the scalability costs associated with each offering (devices, cable runs, switch ports, time line, etc). For what it's worth -- this is what we did, and Xirrus came in on top - no fluff. Would be willing to help anyone replicate what we did.

Anyways, best and glad I can be apart of this forum.
    Last edited by billabong; 4th February 2010 at 01:55 AM. Reason: spelling error on netboks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Wow, sussex to Australia in 1hr 27mins, what airline you flying?
    That would be some airline

No, we're both sitting here in Palm Springs enjoying some nice weather mate. Not as nice as summer, but pretty close.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @billabong - Would it be this conference your attending: ASEE.org - Conferences - 2010 Conference for Industry and Education Collaboration (CIEC) - Introduction

Just curious

Thank Post
    Nomorelies
    How much did you guys cost. Did Ruckus give you a little fluffy dog to play with, are you that cheap? You add zero value to your institutions and obviously do not understand physics let alone Wi-Fi. I bet you spend your life playing Call of Duty. Go and configure a desktop, its about your level. me
    Not called for.

Quote Originally Posted by billabong View Post
    Let's not jump to conclusions Dos-Box. Chomperhead and I are not trying to hide anything. We're both sitting here at an ASEE education conference in S.California...both a long way from home. We are friends...at least after meeting and agreeing that Xirrus has a great solution for how we're using Wi-Fi. Is there anything wrong with giving our honest and non-agressive opinions regarding what we've experienced with vendors?

I see a lot of Ruckus love here and no one seems to be accusing them of being sockpuppets for Ruckus or Ruckus marketing.

EduGeek, please don't ban Chomperhead or myself. We have not done anything contrary to the EduGeek agreement or the spirit of this forum.

We are just relating our honest experiences in an attempt to help the original question asked. I for one would love to see a fair bake-off. 90 802.11n 5GHz netbooks in three classrooms streaming video simultaneously. As part of the test, include the scalability costs associated with each offering (devices, cable runs, switch ports, time line, etc). For what it's worth -- this is what we did, and Xirrus came in on top - no fluff. Would be willing to help anyone replicate what we did.

Well maybe one time you can come to the Edugeek conference and demonstrate this kit. Ruckus have done this on a few occasions so many Edugeek members have seen the kit in action in more than one location setup on the fly and working very well. It's been demonstrated working throughout an awkward building in a mesh setup where quite a few people thought it wouldn't work, it exceeded everyone’s expectations.

This is where Ruckus win the kit works and Ruckus (well Net-Ctrl) are willing to put their money where their mouth is and demo it to a large group of people and let us (Edugeek members) use it on the day.

So you see we're not throwing money away we're investing in a product that we've seen operating well first hand and 'know' is installed and meeting the requirements in many schools.

That sounds like well reasoned thinking to me
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 4th February 2010 at 09:51 AM.

8. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

SimpleSi (4th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomorelies View Post
    How much did you guys cost. Did Ruckus give you a little fluffy dog to play with, are you that cheap? You add zero value to your institutions and obviously do not understand physics let alone Wi-Fi. I bet you spend your life playing Call of Duty. Go and configure a desktop, its about your level.

That made me laugh. I've been in this job for a good few years now and it's still funny to see mature people loose their rag when they get blown out of the water.

Reason I went with Ruckus. Because Net-Ctrl took the time to come to my school with no promise of a sale, spent the day with myself and my two techs. Did a survey of the school with us in tow, spoke to the SMT and did a demo for them. THey also took the time to explain the various parts of the console, thus showing us how easy and simple it is to configure and install. On top of that we invited another school tech team to look as well. They then lent us the kit FOC for a month and also came back and installed another demo for us for an important presentation with 32 students and 16 staff members doing video streaming, video conferencing etc and it worked flawlessley.

I did not get a fluffy dog, I got damn good service and at a damn good price when I purchased the equipment.

10. 2 Thanks to ninjabeaver:

Aggy (4th February 2010), MarkPower (4th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by billabong View Post
    90 802.11n 5GHz netbooks in three classrooms streaming video simultaneously. As part of the test, include the scalability costs associated with each offering (devices, cable runs, switch ports, time line, etc). For what it's worth -- this is what we did, and Xirrus came in on top - no fluff. Would be willing to help anyone replicate what we did.

I can beat that

96 netbooks, 45 laptops, 30 wireless PC's, 3 iPhones, 12 iPod touches, 19 iMac's....

all streaming BBC iPlayer (which is the biggest bottleneck in the UK as is my understanding), all of 1 802.11n Ruckus access point, compared to a Xirrus 802.11n Access point where could only get 85 netbooks attached before it started to clog the connection.

Our test for the equipment we had trialed included Ruckus, Xirrus, Aruba, Meru, Cisco, DLink, Belkin, and HP. The order in which we found had the best connection throughput, and most symultanious streaming of iPlayer was as follows
    1. Ruckus
    2. Meru
    3. Cisco
    4. Xirrus (*edit* fixed spelling)
    5. Aruba
    6. HP
    7. Belkin
    8. DLink

This is how we viewed it and we purchased not because of what was on the forums, but because of our own research at my establishment. We spent months deciding what was the right kit for us, and what was the best way to impliment it.

Each kit would have meant we used less access points than what we had, we cannot deny that, but the test results from our research was clear.
    Last edited by featured_spectre; 4th February 2010 at 10:04 AM.

12. 4 Thanks to featured_spectre:

cookie_monster (4th February 2010), CPLTD (4th February 2010), Green_Goblin (23rd September 2011), localzuk (4th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Just for balance - I wasn't happy when my Ruckus kit didn't place nice with my samsung NC10s cause it didn't come with latest firmware

Once I was hand held through the upgradet (by a guy from net-ctrl on his day off sick from home ) they've been fine ever since

Now I'm just using it in a small primary and had there been loads of posts around here saying something else just works (and affordable) - I'd looked at that as well.

I considered the well priced netgear managed system but i considered the "physics" of a Ruckus AP (being an RF Engineer in my past life) and went for that.

Whats the ballpark figure for an 8 classroom school for this Xirrus kit - my Ruckus 6AP/1 controller was about £2 - 2.5k.

regards

Simon

14. 2 Thanks to SimpleSi:

Aggy (6th February 2010), MarkPower (4th February 2010)

Thank Post
    BTW - why is everyone jsut watching streaming video all day in their establisments

I personally load/save documents and print with my setup

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    streaming pushes the bandwidth to the extreme and you can see the throughput in action.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomorelies View Post
    How much did you guys cost. Did Ruckus give you a little fluffy dog to play with, are you that cheap? You add zero value to your institutions and obviously do not understand physics let alone Wi-Fi. I bet you spend your life playing Call of Duty. Go and configure a desktop, its about your level.
    Why? what did Xirrius give you?

If they're looking to ingratiate themselves with a widely used tech website they aren't going about it the right way...

Personally I am a Ruckus fan. It was cheaper than everyone elses, and in testing performed better.
    You install, configure and leave it alone - thats what I want from my network infrastructure.

However, I'm not gonna go badmouthing other solutions, or the people that use it, based on my experiences.

18. 3 Thanks to Domino:

Aggy (6th February 2010), CPLTD (6th February 2010), MarkPower (4th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    I DID get a little fluffy dog
    but I won't let it affect my decision as to which wireless solution to go with, and I resent the rather childish implication that it would....

He is a lickle cutie baby doggy though, isn't he? isn't he?

Thank Post
    Well now we are talking about things that really matter...

Aggy asked me if I'd got my dog - I said no- she says it was delivered.

Now I wasn't bothered about the dog but Aggy was very concerned that I'd not received one and hinted that someone else must have nabbed off with it.

I protested loudly ( ) that this was a Church school and no-one would do that and blamed it on the Post Office

So she sent another one and I happened to be at the school when it arrived and I opened the box and got it out.

At that point the head said- oh that's good we've got another one

Turns out he'd opened the first package and half-inched it for his youngest and was now very happy another one had arrived so he could give it to his eldest because having one had caused "ruc(k)tions"

The laugh is - it was delivered to my work address - which wasn't the school that actually bought the Ruckus kit

regards
    Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast