+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Our Advertisers Thread, Superb Acer Desktop Bundle Deal £366.00+vat FREE DEL in Purchasing and Trading; ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    I fully understand that Simon has to make a profit but at the same time it would seem that Simon has quite a following on these forums and therefore the trust of fellow members. So I find it a shame that he may take advantage of that with an inflated mark up.

At the end of the day the Acer Outlet will be making a profit on that price, and so will Simon otherwise he wouldn't be selling it for the price he is.

I am sure Simon can be the cheapest but on this occasion I was just pointing out that he was not.

And many thanks for the negitive reputation, would seem I have touched a nerve?
    "Inflated Markup" I have dropped from £395 to £366 loosing us £29 and ill be trasparent with you we are now make £5.00 a box , so i wouldnt say inflated , the reason for the drop is to show our commitment to the forums and show a valid saving chap also not all resellers get the same deal!
    Last edited by CPLTD; 1st December 2009 at 03:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    "Inflated Markup" I have dropped from £395 to £366 loosing us £29 and ill be trasparent with you we are now make £5.00 a box , so i wouldnt say inflated , the reason for the drop is to show our commitment to the forums and show a valid saving chap
    In all fairness he does beat prices when they are brought to his attention as proven by above

Thank Post
    would seem I have touched a nerve?
    Not at all fella, I just think you were a little harsh in your comments only partially quoting what he said as fact.

At the end of the day, other suppliers are charging more and may be making more or their unit cost may be higher, there's no way of knowing for sure.

For Simon to have dropped his price that quickly it was a classic save face approach having just been trumped by a fellow sponsor.

I should probably point out I've not bought anything from Simon since leaving IT in Education 8 months ago.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post

I should probably point out I've not bought anything from Simon since leaving IT in Education 8 months ago.
    Have not worked in edu for a long long time now

Thank Post
    Well done to Simon. I am sure there are many who will give thanks for that. I just think it is a shame when suppliers have to be played of with one another like this just to get a fair price.

In this instance Simon has lowered his price, but how many members have purchased equipment in the belief that they are getting the best possible price?

I think I have made my opinion clear so will leave it at that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Blog Entries
    even though I work in education, I have used simon for personal orders, as he still comes in cheaper than most other places, and repeat business is good for him and me as we have a good working relationship.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well done to Simon. I am sure there are many who will give thanks for that. I just think it is a shame when suppliers have to be played of with one another like this just to get a fair price.

In this instance Simon has lowered his price, but how many members have purchased equipment in the belief that they are getting the best possible price?

I think you can buy cheaper on ebay but does that mean good value , we pride ourselves not just on price fella but our expert knowledge and service

Thank Post

8 posts on this forum and 6 of them slating one of the forums suppliers. Think you need to get a life chap

9. Thanks to apoth0r from:

nephilim (1st December 2009)

Thank Post
    I think you can buy cheaper on ebay but does that mean good value , we pride ourselves not just on price fella but our expert knowledge and service
    Cheaper on eBay Simon, then maybe everyone should lower their prices to that instead!! lol ..

Or, if you prefer, you could just give out free cash!

I'm yet to buy from Simon (hopefully something soon though should the stock and prices come in though huh!) but ANY supplier cannot do any more than set their prices at reasonable rates ensuring that there is a little markup in there for advertising, but overheads have to be met, whether you're selling stock or not!

From what I can tell thus far in my discussions with Simon, he's a good chap and plays a fair game, I mean what are you expecting RingOfFlame? That suppliers sell you the kit without any profit for themselves? Yes, he was a bit more expensive than the Acer Outlet, but to be fair, have you ever had to deal with Acer Support? They stink, where as companies such as CPLTD have expertise on site and can ensure that, with a bit of discussion, the system you're going to buy from them is fit for purpose to your needs, where as I'm sure Acer would love to get the money off you and leave you to figure out the rest yourself.

Sheesh.. yes we all want a good deal.. but at the expense of someone's livelihood? Besides, even at the price slightly higher than Acer, that's a pretty good deal! The kids could do with a new machine at home and if the card wasn't already hitting limits due to the festive season being upon us, I'd be seriously tempted!

(rant done)

11. Thanks to soveryapt from:

CPLTD (1st December 2009)

Thank Post
    "Inflated Markup" I have dropped from £395 to £366 loosing us £29 and ill be trasparent with you we are now make £5.00 a box , so i wouldnt say inflated , the reason for the drop is to show our commitment to the forums and show a valid saving chap also not all resellers get the same deal!
    Fair play to you. I have to say CPLTD seem to be as good as it gets.

13. Thanks to jcollings from:

Thank Post
    Got my order in

infact i raised an order with simon last week for 10 of these model acers but at a higher price (which we were happy with i must add), but a delay this end meant it still hadnt been faxed through to him. so about an hour ago he had the curtousey to call me direct and to tell me he'd just recieved this new offer with a better sized montior at a much lower price.

ask your elf, would all suppliers do that even when they know your committed to buy at a higher price?

cant reccomend simon and his team highly enough !

15. Thanks to kevbaz from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbaz View Post
    Got my order in

infact i raised an order with simon last week for 10 of these model acers but at a higher price (which we were happy with i must add), but a delay this end meant it still hadnt been faxed through to him. so about an hour ago he had the curtousey to call me direct and to tell me he'd just recieved this new offer with a better sized montior at a much lower price.

ask your elf, would all suppliers do that even when they know your committed to buy at a higher price?

cant reccomend simon and his team highly enough !
    i think even if Santa asked his elf, he'd struggle to match that deal!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    i think even if Santa asked his elf, he'd struggle to match that deal!
    Not if Mrs Santa has anything to do with it hehe j/k

Thank Post
    That is why you get more than one quote.

19. Thanks to Edu-IT from:

CPLTD (2nd December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be honest I don't like the old Dutch Auction model as it can be damaging to buyer and seller in the long term ... and I've seen some schools got to silly lengths to get the best price (even regulars on here) with the war-cry of "Yet again we save some money!" albeit they have saved another 3 farthings!

Customer service plays a heck of a lot to these things for me as well as consistency of price. If I am planning a 5 year budget there will be times I would go out to tender for a fixed price for the period of that project as you can get caught out with prices rising or hardware being unavailable, remembering to keep options in the bid to make sure price drops are included ... just blocking price rises.

For small items I tend to put a spec to multiple resellers / providers and give them one shot ... if they don't give it their best first time they don't get the business. If they sell it at cost first time round and bump their prices up when I ask for the next set of items then they will not get the business because someone else comes in better.

In this case Simon is saving face ... fair play to him, he is being canny and using it as a way of ensuring many folk think of him first when getting multiple quotes and many of us will have 6+ possible resellers to go to ... so even if we only get 3 quotes he stands a better chance of being asked to quote and therefore getting the custom. Many others do this ... IDNS, WStore, Dabs, Jigsaw ... all of which get my vote as good resellers to work with (especially when you get the right account manager).

21. 3 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

CPLTD (2nd December 2009), kmount (2nd December 2009), WStore_Dan (2nd December 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast