+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 73 of 73
Our Advertisers Thread, The Great Computer Products Ltd Halloween GIVE AWAY! in Purchasing and Trading; Dam away all Christmas, might miss it. I will send my entry early then its at the top of the ...
  1. #61

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,374
    Thank Post
    906
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    468
    Dam away all Christmas, might miss it. I will send my entry early then its at the top of the pile

  2. #62

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    10,053
    Thank Post
    3,584
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Rep Power
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Blast i never win anything!

    Well cone Boon.

    When is the next comp?
    Makes 2 of us, I've got more chance of catching a cold lol

    Will keep an eye or two out for the chrimbo one

  3. #63
    TheLibrarian
    Guest
    Gz Boon!

  4. #64

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    107
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    well i finally got a 2.5 to 3.5 tray for the drive and installed W7x64 and although it seems snappier the WEI is no different from the F1 320gb i had it installed on, 5.9 is the lowest score

    Q9550 - 7.3
    Cosair Dominator 4gb - 7.3
    ATI 4870 512mb - 6.6 /6.6
    SSD - 5.9

  5. #65

    EduTech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    5,080
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 941 Times in 733 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    276
    Well Done Boon! See Simon told you i never win anything muhaha! i'll give the xmas one a shot me thinks... maybe santa will bring me more luck

    James.

  6. #66

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    10,053
    Thank Post
    3,584
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Rep Power
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon72 View Post
    well i finally got a 2.5 to 3.5 tray for the drive and installed W7x64 and although it seems snappier the WEI is no different from the F1 320gb i had it installed on, 5.9 is the lowest score

    Q9550 - 7.3
    Cosair Dominator 4gb - 7.3
    ATI 4870 512mb - 6.6 /6.6
    SSD - 5.9
    Maybe sell that one and put the dosh towards an intel X25 SSD

  7. #67

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,529
    Thank Post
    527
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon72 View Post
    well i finally got a 2.5 to 3.5 tray for the drive and installed W7x64 and although it seems snappier the WEI is no different from the F1 320gb i had it installed on, 5.9 is the lowest score

    Q9550 - 7.3
    Cosair Dominator 4gb - 7.3
    ATI 4870 512mb - 6.6 /6.6
    SSD - 5.9
    You can't just take that score as a benchmark. SSD's are faster in some areas - for example random read operations (on a hard disk, this will make the head move all over the place, on an SSD there's no head ). So, fragmentation is also a non-issue. It will also make the pagefile/paging process faster.

    So, whilst it might not have the blazing speeds of an X-25, it will still speed up quite a lot of activities.

  8. #68

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    10,053
    Thank Post
    3,584
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Rep Power
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    You can't just take that score as a benchmark. SSD's are faster in some areas - for example random read operations (on a hard disk, this will make the head move all over the place, on an SSD there's no head ). So, fragmentation is also a non-issue. It will also make the pagefile/paging process faster.

    So, whilst it might not have the blazing speeds of an X-25, it will still speed up quite a lot of activities.
    True - but I thought the windows 7 test did do the random read and writes as per Arthurs posts on another thread.

    The other option is to buy another SSD and put it into a RAID 0 Config

  9. #69
    apoth0r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,221
    Thank Post
    151
    Thanked 180 Times in 132 Posts
    Rep Power
    52
    Or just be happy with a free SSD and be grateful?
    LoL

  10. 2 Thanks to apoth0r:

    mac_shinobi (10th November 2009), sparkeh (10th November 2009)

  11. #70

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,529
    Thank Post
    527
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    True - but I thought the windows 7 test did do the random read and writes as per Arthurs posts on another thread.

    The other option is to buy another SSD and put it into a RAID 0 Config
    Ah, but the thing about the 'single number' benchmark that windows gives it that it tells you about the slowest thing the device did. So, whilst that number may be saying 'this is a slow disk', it doesn't tell you that it may be quicker than others in certain areas. Doing a proper benchmark would be better - PCMark for example.

  12. #71

    sparkeh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,231
    Thank Post
    1,446
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Rep Power
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Ah, but the thing about the 'single number' benchmark that windows gives it that it tells you about the slowest thing the device did. So, whilst that number may be saying 'this is a slow disk', it doesn't tell you that it may be quicker than others in certain areas. Doing a proper benchmark would be better - PCMark for example.
    This really bugs me about the Windows tests. Its a bit like taking the British Olympic team, putting me in the 100m and saying we are terrible just because I finished last. Or something...

  13. #72

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    10,053
    Thank Post
    3,584
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Rep Power
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Ah, but the thing about the 'single number' benchmark that windows gives it that it tells you about the slowest thing the device did. So, whilst that number may be saying 'this is a slow disk', it doesn't tell you that it may be quicker than others in certain areas. Doing a proper benchmark would be better - PCMark for example.
    or HDTach

    HdTach

    Or possibly Burn In Test

    http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

    @ Ap0ther - there is always that - at least boon actually got an SSD unlike someone here lol

    edit

    surely it would of been better for hdtach or similiar bench marking software to use an iso and burn the iso to a disc and boot into its own enviroment and do the tests that way as apposed to running the software on top of windows that no doubt accesses or trys to use the hardware in the process.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 10th November 2009 at 10:20 AM.

  14. #73

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    10,053
    Thank Post
    3,584
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Rep Power
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    This really bugs me about the Windows tests. Its a bit like taking the British Olympic team, putting me in the 100m and saying we are terrible just because I finished last. Or something...
    Yeah they could do a pink lane specially for you and see how fast the british olympic team really are lol



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Similar Threads

  1. Computer Products Ltd Needs Your Help Guys!
    By CPLTD in forum General Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 17th August 2009, 05:54 PM
  2. Computer Products Ltd Deliveries!
    By CPLTD in forum Our Advertisers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 5th February 2009, 10:14 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 8th November 2008, 04:16 PM
  4. Computer Products Ltd
    By Dos_Box in forum Our Advertisers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 9th May 2008, 02:55 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •