+ Post New Thread
Our Advertisers Thread, Quote: network switch with wireless, not router in Purchasing and Trading; (this is a personal purchase, not a school one) I'm hunting high and low for a network switch of at ...

Thank Post

Quote: network switch with wireless, not router

(this is a personal purchase, not a school one)

I'm hunting high and low for a network switch of at least four ports with wireless built-in, but not a router, modem etc. It should act just like a combined switch and wireless access point, and preferably for less than about 50. I'm hoping Simon or Dan will have some bright ideas

Bonus marks if it also supports WPA(2)-PSK, beer if it supports WPA(2)-Radius or 802.11a (having both doesn't get you double beer, sorry).

kthxbye

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    (this is a personal purchase, not a school one)

I'm hunting high and low for a network switch of at least four ports with wireless built-in, but not a router, modem etc. It should act just like a combined switch and wireless access point, and preferably for less than about 50. I'm hoping Simon or Dan will have some bright ideas

Bonus marks if it also supports WPA(2)-PSK, beer if it supports WPA(2)-Radius or 802.11a (having both doesn't get you double beer, sorry).

kthxbye
    Will get onto this straight away fella,

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    something similiar to this

dabs.com - Edimax Wireless Access Point & 5-Port Switch (EW-7209APG)

Obviously not sure about edimax though as a make and also it states to set a static ip address as it wont pickup an ip address from dhcp ( not sure if that includes a dhcp reservation ) ??

Unless you get into the ruckus side of things

http://www.wlanmall.com/zoneflex-292...ch-p-1021.html

Simon can help you with the Ruckus side of things though

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    personally I would steer clear of Edimax as a brand , they have quite a high return rate,

how about

Wireless Access Point Router w/ 4-Port Switch 802.11g 50.00inc vat Free Del

All-in-one Internet-sharing Router, 4-port
    Switch, and Wireless-G (draft 802.11g) Access Point
    Wireless data rates up to 54Mbps--5 times faster than Wireless-B (802.11b)
    Shares a single Internet connection and other resources with Ethernet wired and Wireless-G clients
    Also interoperates with Wireless-B devices (at 11Mbps)
    Advanced wireless security with 128-bit WEP encryption, MAC or IP address filtering
    Note: This router requires an external cable or DSL modem with an Ethernet interface

5. Thanks to CPLTD from:

mac_shinobi (24th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts
    Buffalo with dd-wrt on it?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 971 Posts
    Personally I would just use a dedicated switch and buy a seperate wireless access point ie a linksys or netgear 8 or 10 port gigabit switch and a Pre N wireless access point ie linksys or netgear

Personally I would use the same make of switch and WAP ie if you go with linksys then use linksys for both and the same for netgear.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Personally I would just use a dedicated switch and buy a seperate wireless access point ie a linksys or netgear 8 or 10 port gigabit switch and a Pre N wireless access point ie linksys or netgear

Personally I would use the same make of switch and WAP ie if you go with linksys then use linksys for both and the same for netgear.
    I run a D-link 24 port 10/100 switch (from-ebay) and a Netgear WAP (also e-bay). The switch is in the office at home on the 1st floor and the WAP is in the loft. I purchased a generic passive power injector also off eBay for 15 which powers the WAP in the loft so when I don't want to use wireless around the house, I can lock it down by turning off the access point fro 100% wireless security. Yes, my WAP has security wireless enabled. It also saves energy (although not much).

All this connects to my Thompson Speedtouch 546 ADSL router, which is not wireless.

The make of switch should not have any influence on make of WAP, if this was the case we would all being buying laptops/ PCs with NICs to match our home network equipment!

Thank Post
    Actually that Edimax thing is nearly perfect, except I don't trust them. It's put me on the right track to finding this though:

Buffalo Technology - Products - WLI-TX4-AG300N : Wireless-N Nfiniti™ Dual Band Ethernet Converter

This is the only bit that makes me worry: "Up to four wired devices can be converted to wireless, you don't need to have a LAN cable from each device to your router" but I presume that's because it's replacing a four-port switch and they've just muddled the words.

Simon, if you can beat 50 inc vat and delivery, and you can take a personal order by debit card or transfer, I'll order it today

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread