+ Post New Thread
Our Advertisers Thread, Problems with ACER and good points!! in Purchasing and Trading; As you know EduGeek has teamed up with Acer Outlet, an independant retailer to give you EduGeek Outlet. Firstly let ...
    Thank Post

Problems with ACER and good points!!

As you know EduGeek has teamed up with Acer Outlet, an independant retailer to give you EduGeek Outlet.

Firstly let me say Acer Outlet is independant of Acer and our parent company has been running for 15 years. We have worked with Acer for a long time (through the problems) and have won Top Acer Retailer of the Year for the last 2 years. Having said that as we are independant please don't let your opinion of Acer judge your opinion of us, however we love Acer products and totally believe they are the right cost effective solution for schools.

I am aware many of you have found Acer to be a less than perfect company. I don't disagree, they were useless 3 years ago, provided backup that was worse than useless and developed several laptops that were faulty from the start.

I would be lying if I said everything was perfect because all companies have there problems and faulty machines. However I will prove to you that Acer is better and if that means I need to solve your problems one by one on EduGeek then I will do.

Acer Outlet provides all our customers a high level of service and with I would not sell products I do not believe in.

Acer are now the top laptop vendor in the county outselling every other vendor, that must show they have improved.

Again if you have any problems or good comments please either post them below or e-mail me. I will tell Acer about this thread and let them see what people think of their products. I hope this will help both solve your problems and show how determined both Acer and Acer Outlet is improve both your experiances and the brand.

Thanks

Thank Post
    My experience of the Extensa range has been nothing but poor to the point where we point blank won't buy any of the 400 +vat laptops when there's Tosh on the market at the same price point.

Desktops however, I've been pleasantly pleased as with the two failures we've had in the last year, both were fixed RTB in a few days and I was pleased that they believed me when I explained a fault without evidence.

So ... I guess it's one experience, and I'm pleased to see an Acer presence on here which may sway me to giving it another go.

3. Thanks to kmount from:

acer-man (12th February 2009)

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=kmount;289852]My experience of the Extensa range has been nothing but poor to the point where we point blank won't buy any of the 400 +vat laptops when there's Tosh on the market at the same price point.
    QUOTE]

Just to let you know Extensa is the budget range of laptops made by Acer, they make very little profit from them. As a result they are not always the same quality of the Travelmate range.

The Travelmate range all come with a 14 day DOA swapout warranty and have a very low fail rate.

For info the Aspire range is the third range of laptops by Acer, but other than the Aspire One netbook I would not suggest them for schools as they are a consumer laptops all come with Vista Home Premium or Vista Basic.

kmount, can I ask is it a specific model that you had problems with or just all of them?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm pleased you are there to provide us with this kind of service, and have every faith in what you say "when you say acer has imporved"

I be honest i have never really got on with Acer Laptop's, desktops have been better.. so Personally i would never touch one. but with the comments that have been posted the past few days i think i will be purchaseing a notebook from you and seeing how i get on.

At least i know if i have any problems, i will get a great service of support from yourself.

Thanks

James.

Thank Post
    Yes, quite.

If I'm honest, we do not pay over 400 ex vat for a staff laptop ever because we recycle the Office/AV/etc licenses so merely rely on it coming with XP Pro / Vista Business.

The Extensa 5620 (I think...) not sure of the specifcs whilst I'm not at work.

The reality is that budget models or not, Tosh can do one for a similar cost with a similar spec but it doesn't fall apart within 6 months.

I'm grateful for your interest, and as I say, the desktop range has been lovely, we have several of them now, two of which did fail but as I said earlier were repaired very quickly with little effort.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by acer-man View Post
    ...I am aware many of you have found Acer to be a less than perfect company. I don't disagree, they were useless 3 years ago, provided backup that was worse than useless and developed several laptops that were faulty from the start....
    I agree, a few years ago I would have not touched Acer products with a barge pole. However in recent years, I have to say that Acer has pulled it's finger out. Now a days whenever I have to purchase laptops it's always a choice between Acer and 1 other brand and I, myself, have the Acer 6920G Gemstone laptop - one very nice machine, plus some part are easily upgradable (too bad I can't get the Gemstone 6930 this year with the T9400 & the GT GC)

-Ken

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My old school used Acer laptops they where excellent. We purchased 120 at once and worked fine but one, it had a dodgy NIC. Its one of those things, we called acer and it was reapired in a matter of days.

Thank Post
    We have approx 120 Extensa 5220 and 80 Travelmate 5320's

Have no real grumbles, some are nearly 2 years old and have developed no real problems. We got the Acer Platinum 3 yr Accidental Warranty along with them so any real issues get sorted nice a quick.

Only problems that occur are minor, for example: one both models the screws do come loose in the main bottom panel and the screen brackets wear loose. Both can be sorts with a screw driver ( the loose brackets is down the 2 screws located in the bottom left and right side of the screen casing under rubber sticky things)

I can list the other faults now for all the laptops (not including the kids screwing up windows)

x2 HD failures
    x1 Wireless NIC failure
    x6 Broken Screens
    x10 missing keys from the keyboard
    DVDRW drives come out slightly loosing connectivity with the laptop, You simply push them back in. (P.S They have one screw holding them in so they dont come out completely).
    x2 Power sockets pushed through the back of the casing. (P.S 20 mins and you can hot glue gun them back into place quite easily as the are NOT the soldered to mainboard jobbies)
    and they dont like being dropped suprisingly enough lol!

All this is not bad for 200 laptops between 1 and 2 yrs old! And all issues have been sorted with Acer Warranty Support.

My only grumble is that the screens come with a 100 euro excess and has to be paid up front which is a nightmare to be honest.

So there you have, an honest look at Acer notebooks and are just branching into Acer Desktops (Watch this space).

Chris.

10. Thanks to accura2000 from:

acer-man (22nd April 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread