+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Our Advertisers Thread, World Cup Competition! in Purchasing and Trading; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    I will put him to work for £1 a time
    So long as you're feeding him well!

Thank Post
    Anyone with some outlandish predictions? Go on, be brave!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    By Outlandish I am sure she means England winning!

Thank Post
    Haha, alright Mr. Stream of (Admittedly Chuckle Inducing) Anti-England jokes! Favourite last two:Oxo are bringing out a new cube with white foil and a red cross on it. It crumbles under pressure and will be called laughing stock.David Blaine is reportedly furious after England crashed out of the World Cup - his record of doing absolutely nothing in a box for 42 days was broken by Wayne Rooney.

Thank Post
    So what did everyone think of the opening ceremony and the first match?

Was it a penalty? Should that Croatia goal have counted?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Brazils card ranting was a joke, and it will likely carry on throughout the tournament which is a disgrace.

Croatia's goal should have counted but such is life, and no, it was never a penalty in my eyes.

7. Thanks to nephilim from:

SiliconAlley_Sam (13th June 2014)

Thank Post
    what the media forgets is that a referee has a split second to make a judgment on whether he deems what he has just seen as an infringement or not, he does not have access to multiple camera angles like the TV companies do;
    As per the laws of the game the referee was correct in giving the penalty as the Croatian defender definitely had both arms on the player possibly impeding his chance to get the ball to score, however the referee also has at his disposal his discretion so if he believes he saw simulation (A dive) he could have awarded a yellow card to Fred for his attempt at "Buying the decision"
    This is one of those decisions where if it goes for your team you never talk about it again, if it goes against you then you spend too much time speculating what could have been and for everyone else in the middle you either remain impartial or take sides
    brazil penalty.jpg
    Below are the 10 offences which when committed on the field of play are re-started with a direct free kick or if the offence takes place within the 18 yard box are re-started with a penalty

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
    • trips or attempts to trip an opponent
    • jumps at an opponent
    • charges an opponent
    • strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
    • pushes an opponent
    • tackles an opponent
    • A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:
    • holds an opponent

• spits at an opponent
    • handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

Read more at The website for the English football association, The FA Cup and The England football team - Football Rules & Governance | The FA

Yes I am a football referee so maybe this opinion could be seen as bias but I have based it solely on facts.
    It's unfortunate that such a speculative decision occurred in the opening game however this is football, if you take away the human element of the game you have no game !!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBanks7 View Post
    what the media forgets is that a referee has a split second to make a judgment on whether he deems what he has just seen as an infringement or not, he does not have access to multiple camera angles like the TV companies do;
    Yeah, but Video Ref 'undermines the Referee on the pitch', I believe the official shpiel was? Well if the ref on the pitch makes the right call, the video ref backs them up. If the ref makes the wrong call, the video ref reveals it's a mistake and corrects it (in which case, you're damn right the ref's decision should be undermined. Because it's wrong). Plus it would stop all these allegations of dodgy refs and payoffs.

As for the contest, I like free stuff, but I don't know anything about football. Or the world cup.
    Rats.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garacesh View Post
    As for the contest, I like free stuff, but I don't know anything about football. Or the world cup.
    Rats.
    Take a guess! Still hoping for some outlandish score predictions! 8-2 anyone?

As for the penalty... I appreciate that refs have a split second to make a decision etc. but literally everyone I've spoken to, whatever team they were supporting/had bets on didn't think that should have been a penalty. Do love a contentious decision now and then though (when it doesn't effect my team, of course ), keeps things interesting!

Thank Post
    Yeah, but Video Ref 'undermines the Referee on the pitch', I believe the official shpiel was? Well if the ref on the pitch makes the right call, the video ref backs them up. If the ref makes the wrong call, the video ref reveals it's a mistake and corrects it (in which case, you're damn right the ref's decision should be undermined. Because it's wrong). Plus it would stop all these allegations of dodgy refs and payoffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiliconAlley_Sam View Post
    As for the penalty... I appreciate that refs have a split second to make a decision etc. but literally everyone I've spoken to, whatever team they were supporting/had bets on didn't think that should have been a penalty. Do love a contentious decision now and then though (when it doesn't effect my team, of course ), keeps things interesting!
    I agree with you both
    Video referees should be used when we are talking about the pinnacle of the sport, the World Cup is THE competition that all players aspire to play in as they are representing their country in front of millions of sets of eyes so for them it is not only a chance to be proud for playing for their nation but an opportunity to catch the eye of potential new clubs.
    it's like the champions league they pay the extra money to have 2 extra officials stood behind the goals with the magic-wand looking device in their hand to assist the referee, they could easily have a video room and place these 2 referees in to analyse such big decisions

As for the penalty I am agreement with you both, I would have never gave that decision based on the other elements surrounding the decision.
    I always root for the underdog and it was a shame to see Croatia not pick up at least a point

Thank Post
    TMOs have been used in rugby to great success. As have citing officers. I think both should be adopted by football, and suddenly all the players on the floor diving everywhere and otherwise trying it on get punished too!

Thank Post
    I'll finish up and get this thread back on track (apologies)
    I think its a shame this incident had to happen on the opening day of the World Cup, had this incident happened in the final game of Group F (Bosnia & Herzegovina V Iran) I don't think there would be as much speculation surrounding the incident due to the two teams not being the biggest of teams in the competition

Is everyone hopeful for England tomorrow ?
    I think we will definitely get out of our group but I can see us finishing 2nd on goal difference

Thank Post
    I'll finish up and get this thread back on track (apologies)
    I think its a shame this incident had to happen on the opening day of the World Cup, had this incident happened in the final game of Group F (Bosnia & Herzegovina V Iran) I don't think there would be as much speculation surrounding the incident due to the two teams not being the biggest of teams in the competition.
    I think it being the host makes a difference as well, much easier for people to start assuming foul play.

Is everyone hopeful for England tomorrow ?
    I think we will definitely get out of our group but I can see us finishing 2nd on goal difference
    I'm actually quite hopeful. I don't know whether it's my World Cup excitement talking but I have a feeling that they could surprise us. Even if they don't, I'd much rather see us not do well with a young team than us not doing well with the old guard. Definitely a step in the right direction whatever the outcome.

I will have everything crossed tomorrow!

Thank Post
    Oh, go on then. Entered.
    My puns are terrible, but I don't know enough about footie to do any decent ones.

Thank Post
    Hahaha @Garacesh they tickled me!

For everyone else:

"Although what I do know is about that huge brawl that happened in the England changing rooms. Frank got lamped 'ard. Luke Shaw the whole thing and said Chris couldn't stop Smalling. Wilshire not win with this display of 'teamwork'!"

17. Thanks to SiliconAlley_Sam from:

Garacesh (13th June 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast