+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Other Stuff Thread, Maths Question in Fun Stuff; I know this is a KS1 maths question? how many sides does a circle have? I used to think it ...
  1. #1
    stevenlong1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    510
    Thank Post
    756
    Thanked 105 Times in 70 Posts
    Rep Power
    71

    Maths Question

    I know this is a KS1 maths question? how many sides does a circle have?
    I used to think it was 1, (being told this when I was little) But I've been told its 0 as its has no sides but an arch, or has a infinity number of sides.

    is there a correct answer?

  2. #2
    soveryapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,417
    Thank Post
    655
    Thanked 278 Times in 245 Posts
    Rep Power
    78
    Seems to be infinite ...

    For instance, 'a decagon (10 sides). It is starting to look round. As you add more and more sides to a polygon, it starts to look more and more like a circle. If you had a polygon with 1000 sides, would you be able to distinguish the different sides?'

    Source: How many sides does a circle have? - Yahoo! Answers

  3. #3

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,559
    Thank Post
    1,469
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Rep Power
    752
    I'd also argue that a true circle has an infinite number of "sides"... although zero sides makes sense too. After all, what is a side? A measurable straight line between two points on a shape? Seems to me there can't really be a definite answer to this question, it's along the lines of "how much is infinity?"

  4. #4

    DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Posts
    9,086
    Thank Post
    352
    Thanked 1,317 Times in 903 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    1135
    It is difficult to give this question an answer I would be happy with. Perhaps the question should be asked another way or clarified.

    Here is a link to another website where users have posted their thought on the matter:

    Link: geometry - How many sides does a circle have? - Mathematics - Stack Exchange


  5. #5

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,559
    Thank Post
    1,469
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Rep Power
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    It is difficult to give this question an answer I would be happy with. Perhaps the question should be asked another way or clarified.

    Here is a link to another website where users have posted their thought on the matter:

    Link: geometry - How many sides does a circle have? - Mathematics - Stack Exchange

    Have to say, it doesn't fill you with confidence that this child's math teacher didn't recognise the symbol for infinity!

  6. #6
    stevenlong1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    510
    Thank Post
    756
    Thanked 105 Times in 70 Posts
    Rep Power
    71
    Its just something the year 1 teachers just asked me, an I was like erm... 1 side? and told no
    but how do you explain to a 5 year old that a circle has a infinite number a sides. I think its a question to be avoided until secondary school perhaps :P

  7. #7

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,212
    Thank Post
    893
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,529 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    461
    I was always told 1 at school.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ellesmere Port
    Posts
    96
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    2 Inside and outside surley?,

  9. #9
    36Degrees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    1,065
    Thank Post
    165
    Thanked 153 Times in 124 Posts
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by seacider View Post
    2 Inside and outside surley?,
    Damn beat me to it! Grab my coat too please...

  10. #10

    aerospacemango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,994
    Thank Post
    283
    Thanked 249 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I'd also argue that a true circle has an infinite number of "sides"... although zero sides makes sense too. After all, what is a side? A measurable straight line between two points on a shape? Seems to me there can't really be a definite answer to this question, it's along the lines of "how much is infinity?"
    Surely a sphere has an infinite amount of sides, but a circle only has one???

  11. #11

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,568
    Thank Post
    721
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Rep Power
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Have to say, it doesn't fill you with confidence that this child's math teacher didn't recognise the symbol for infinity!
    I read that to mean that the teacher thought that the child didn't know that a "sideways 8" was the symbol for infinity not that the teacher didn't know what it was.

    Ben

  12. #12

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,559
    Thank Post
    1,469
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Rep Power
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Surely a sphere has an infinite amount of sides, but a circle only has one???
    By that logic, a square has 5 sides including it's "front" you can't count the "flat" side of a 2 dimensional shape!

    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I read that to mean that the teacher thought that the child didn't know that a "sideways 8" was the symbol for infinity not that the teacher didn't know what it was.

    Ben
    "She said that she thought my son had written a sideways '8' and didn't know that a sideways '8' means infinity"

    hmmm.... could be taken either way I suppose but I read it as the teacher didn't know a sideways '8' meant infinity, seeing as she previously said her son had written "∞"

  13. #13

    aerospacemango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,994
    Thank Post
    283
    Thanked 249 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    By that logic, a square has 5 sides including it's "front" you can't count the "flat" side of a 2 dimensional shape!
    Not entirely true!

    The circle has 1 side....The "outside" of the circle, in the same way that a triangle would have 3, and a square would have 4!

    A sphere could have only 1 side but an infinite amount of "faces". A cube would only have 6 "faces"

    At least, that is my understanding of the whole thing!

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I'd go with 2

  15. #15

    JJonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Walsham, Norfolk
    Posts
    3,158
    Thank Post
    404
    Thanked 445 Times in 330 Posts
    Rep Power
    387
    So which is it 0, 1 or infinite?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Subnetting math question.
    By nigel6666 in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27th February 2008, 08:42 PM
  2. ntuser.man question........?
    By tosca925 in forum Windows
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 27th September 2005, 09:28 PM
  3. Spamassasin Question
    By Dos_Box in forum *nix
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23rd June 2005, 10:27 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •