+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Other Stuff Thread, What films scare you the most? in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Dos_Box <snip>I got talking about this the other day with my wife, who tells me that Event ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    <snip>I got talking about this the other day with my wife, who tells me that Event Horizon is the one for here, but I remained undecided. Eventually I narrowed it down to two. The first being the orginal asian version of the film The Eye (the US remake was utter shash BTW) and in particular the scene where she is in the lift and the spirit is right behind her.
    </snip>
    I have to agree - Event Horizon scares the wotsits out of me. Every time I see it I know it terrifies me but can't tear my eyes away from the screen.

I'm not a fan of violent or gory films and I'd run a mile from anything relating to Saw, but Event Horizon is just about within my tolerance levels and I love how messed up it is. The airlock scene is the worst I'd say and Sam Neill's approximation of Pinhead is pretty freakish. The hanging skin in the med bay... I could go on, but to me this is everything a horror movie needs to be.

The original 'The Thing' had me sleepless for days.

Also, bizarrely, I had nightmares about Velociraptors for weeks after seeing Jurassic Park.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    I have to agree - Event Horizon scares the wotsits out of me. Every time I see it I know it terrifies me but can't tear my eyes away from the screen.

I'm not a fan of violent or gory films and I'd run a mile from anything relating to Saw, but Event Horizon is just about within my tolerance levels and I love how messed up it is. The airlock scene is the worst I'd say and Sam Neill's approximation of Pinhead is pretty freakish. The hanging skin in the med bay... I could go on, but to me this is everything a horror movie needs to be.

The original 'The Thing' had me sleepless for days.

Also, bizarrely, I had nightmares about Velociraptors for weeks after seeing Jurassic Park.
    This is the one!

The Thing has everything going for it. The suspense of the scene where they are strapped to the chairs..... Fantastic!

Deffo top 5 all time films!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoseley View Post
    Disney's Bambi - No joke!
    I have to say I've seen most of the films mentioned here and I don't find them scary in the slightest. Most are carp (Elm Street, Freddy, etc) but others (Event Horizon, Robocop, Omen, IT, etc) are fantastic films.

That said there is something quiet dark and disturbing about some of the early Disney flicks. Even Snow White had it's moments. The Black Caldron was the worst though for some reason (can't remember why now).

The only other film I can think of that is "creepy" is The Shinning. It's the twin girls standing in the hall way. I once stayed in an Hotel in Luxor and the corridors were exactly like that film. Every time I turned a corner I was execting to see them there holding hands. My brother and I spent the whole time whispering "redrum" at each other...

Thank Post
    Oh yeah, the opening Scene in Robocop is horrifying!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok....now to throw another couple out there.... to see what you think!!

It - Well, we all seem to know about this already!
    Salem's Lot - Some fantastic set pieces bound together by a great story
    Misery - What a great film...."Hobbling".... Made me jump when I read it, and turned my stomach when I SAW it!
    Pet Sematary - Fingers down the back of the jumper....

All are adaptations of Stephen King, and despite none being as good as the books, ALL are good watches

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Ok....now to throw another couple out there.... to see what you think!!

It - Well, we all seem to know about this already!
    Salem's Lot - Some fantastic set pieces bound together by a great story
    Misery - What a great film...."Hobbling".... Made me jump when I read it, and turned my stomach when I SAW it!
    Pet Sematary - Fingers down the back of the jumper....

All are adaptations of Stephen King, and despite none being as good as the books, ALL are good watches
    Argh Misery is horrible (in the most correct way)! The Hobbling scene was evil and the bit where she hammered his knee *vomits*.

Having read the book I am still no clearer on whether she survived and killed him or whether his mind was broken by the whole event causing him to hallucinate her beheading him. Mark of a good suspense writer I suppose that I can finish the whole book and still wonder what happened at the end.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Argh Misery is horrible (in the most correct way)! The Hobbling scene was evil and the bit where she hammered his knee *vomits*.

Having read the book I am still no clearer on whether she survived and killed him or whether his mind was broken by the whole event causing him to hallucinate her beheading him. Mark of a good suspense writer I suppose that I can finish the whole book and still wonder what happened at the end.
    I remember I was reading the book on the train, on my way home from the Air Force, when I got to the hobbling part..... That is the only time that a book has made me gasp out loud.... Several of my fellow passengers looked at me strangely until I held the book up and said it was a scary bit!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, the opening Scene in Robocop is horrifying!
    Maybe I've become very desensitised? Can't remember anything "horrifying" in Robocop. It's one of my all time fav films. I'm a limited peeved that they are dishonouring it with a remake

Wasn't the opening scene (after the news reel) Louis "playing with" her suspect when she meets Murphy for the first time? I suppose police brutality can be considered horrifying...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Maybe I've become very desensitised? Can't remember anything "horrifying" in Robocop. It's one of my all time fav films. I'm a limited peeved that they are dishonouring it with a remake

Wasn't the opening scene (after the news reel) Louis "playing with" her suspect when she meets Murphy for the first time? I suppose police brutality can be considered horrifying...
    The bit I am referring to is the very very opening scene where Pre-Robocop' and his partner are investigating that factory and he gets caught by that gang and murdered. I always found that scene quite brutal and sad. That being said, I should imagine that if I saw it now I'd probably not feel the same, but the first time I saw it I was about 12 and it had a big effect on me at the time and the way I felt about it has stayed with me. Having watched both seasons of Spartacus my tolerance for gore is improving, but Spartacus-level over-the-top-fake gore is about all I can handle. Realistic gore still has me switching off. The episode of the Borgias last night where those torturers were stripping the face off a victim had me shrieking 'turn it off turn it off' at LeBoyfriend.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The bit I am referring to is the very very opening scene where Pre-Robocop' and his partner are investigating that factory and he gets caught by that gang and murdered. I always found that scene quite brutal and sad.
    Love that scene! (though I thought it was a bit latter in the film). "Well give the man a hand"

Having watched both seasons of Spartacus my tolerance for gore is improving, but Spartacus-level over-the-top-fake gore is about all I can handle. Realistic gore still has me switching off.
    I'd give the last Rambo film a miss then if I was you Got to admit I've never found gore scary. I tend to get spooked by the more psychological stuff - I can understand what others find creepy about Pennywise in IT ("They all float down here!").
    Last edited by tmcd35; 30th July 2012 at 09:43 AM.

Thank Post
    Watership Down - the animated film.

I can't believe it's U rated. Tons of frights, violence and death, but y'know for kids.

My wife is so scarred by it when watching the Book of Kells (great animated film) she had a wide-eyed flashback as the spirit cat looked like the ghost rabbit and brought terrible memories back.

Thank Post
    Watched 'Woman in Black' last night, not bad, makes you jump a couple of times but not scary as such.

Thank Post
    Silent House is one that has made me jump very recently. I love these sort of films, but this made me uneasy.
    Event Horizon is my favourite film of all time.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The recent film of my colonoscopy.....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,112 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    The recent film of my colonoscopy.....
    Come and talk to me when you have had a cystoscopy :S

SHARE: