+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Other Stuff Thread, Names for computers... in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Domino Er, guys - I don't think that was what the OP was asking haha, oh dear, ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Er, guys - I don't think that was what the OP was asking
    haha, oh dear, that'll teach me from just reading replies and basing my post on that!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,875 Times in 1,393 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not a computer, but we had a south African lady who called her boiler at her home a geezer (like a water geezer). She once rang up British gas and said the geezer is broken and the poor bloke on the other end kept telling her to call an ambulance instead of them. Wasn't until her English husband came home to explain that all was well.

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Not a computer, but we had a south African lady who called her boiler at her home a geezer (like a water geezer). She once rang up British gas and said the geezer is broken and the poor bloke on the other end kept telling her to call an ambulance instead of them. Wasn't until her English husband came home to explain that all was well.
    I grew up with geysers (geezers), in the UK. They have some really interesting names for stuff over there though. They swim in Dams, were as we would swim the water the Dam holds in.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,315 Times in 1,628 Posts
    Ah - I see
    We have a teacher who always calls her computer the 'box'. Or the Laptop Box. Another calls his the CPU coz he thinks he knows about computers

Thank Post
    It drives me nuts when I see/hear users calling the desktop background the 'screensaver' ARGH. My mum does that. She also doesn't know the difference between 'My Computer' and 'My documents' - she plugs a digital camera in then goes to 'My documents' expecting to see all the pictures then throws a tantrum when she can't find them. She also calls USB Memory sticks 'Whizzy sticks' and similarly tries to find the contents in 'my documents'.

I wouldn't mind but I've lost count of the number of times I have explained all these things to her and shown her where to go. I even wrote and laminated an 'idiot sheet' for her once but she lost it at work... *headdesk*

I suppose I should be grateful - her work colleagues firmly believe that the base unit is the CPU Harddrive...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AMLightfoot View Post
    It drives me nuts when I see/hear users calling the desktop background the 'screensaver' ARGH. My mum does that. She also doesn't know the difference between 'My Computer' and 'My documents' - she plugs a digital camera in then goes to 'My documents' expecting to see all the pictures then throws a tantrum when she can't find them. She also calls USB Memory sticks 'Whizzy sticks' and similarly tries to find the contents in 'my documents'.

I wouldn't mind but I've lost count of the number of times I have explained all these things to her and shown her where to go. I even wrote and laminated an 'idiot sheet' for her once but she lost it at work... *headdesk*

I suppose I should be grateful - her work colleagues firmly believe that the base unit is the CPU Harddrive...

You should maybe set the idiot guide as her screensaver or wallpaper depending on what she actually looks at lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    +1 for hard drive

Had a call from my neighbour the other day saying he was putting a CD in his hard drive and nothing was happening.

Crikey

Joe

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12