+ Post New Thread
Other Stuff Thread, Need a new car stereo? in Fun Stuff; ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,032 Posts
    Blog Entries

Need a new car stereo?

Aldi are doing a Bluetooth radio/MP3 head unit (you can stream music via Bluetooth!) with USB and SD card slot for £49.99 on Sunday. I had a varient of this one a few years back and it was rather good

ALDI - Sunday Special Buys 19th June 2011

Last edited by Dos_Box; 17th June 2011 at 09:45 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aldi have done some amazing kit recently....their PCs and Laptops are really good and warranties are amazing. May have to purchase this

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    1 x 4GB SD card with audio ripped at a suitable bit rate and no more need for CD changers. Ever

Thank Post
    I know I am showing my age but I still find the idea of a remote control for a car stereo amusing...

"...the accident occurred as I was fumbling around on the floor after I dropped the remote..." (yes I know that also applies to other handheld items)

Having said that, we have just bought a car with controls on the steering wheel which are useful as they can also be used to make calls through the stereo's Bluetooth connection. (Only if really, really necessary though as I prefer to concentrate on my driving...)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I can never see the point of them either. Perhaps the manufacturers are under some strange illusion that you, the driver, are going to allow passengers, particularly those in the back seats, some control of the music in the car? I take it they did zero market research on this

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That looks excellent.

As for the remote, I can see this useful in my van where the stereo is in a awkward place and visibility is poor. Bluetacking the remote to a convenient spot on the dash could be useful.

Thank Post
    I've had a Blaupunkt car stereo that takes SD cards for about the last 4 years, it is dead handy. The only problem with my one is it doesn't read high capacity cards, so you're limited to 2GB which is still a fair amount of music, but does mean I now have about 6 or 7 SD cards floating around the car, and they're more awkward to change than CD's!

Thank Post
    Actually there is another side to the "remote" problem...I recently replaced the battery in the key fob for my son's car because it was only working erratically...I found myself walking up to the car trying to get the doors to unlock and then standing next to it still trying to get it to work...then the penny dropped...I could just put the key in the lock!

(Our new car doesn't seem to have keyholes so I don't know what we do if the remote dies)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You 'should' be able to use a minimum of a 4GB SD card with these according to some reviews of earlier models (2008/2009). Even earlier ones were restricted to 512MB!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    Actually there is another side to the "remote" problem...I recently replaced the battery in the key fob for my son's car because it was only working erratically...I found myself walking up to the car trying to get the doors to unlock and then standing next to it still trying to get it to work...then the penny dropped...I could just put the key in the lock!

(Our new car doesn't seem to have keyholes so I don't know what we do if the remote dies)
    Never just change the batteries in those things, 90% of them have to be re-synced to the car before they will work again. You can find the procedures for doing this on various forums for most populcar models of car. If you get your car serviced by a dealership, they normally change the remote batteries as part of the service, so in theory you should never have this problem.

Mike

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    I know I am showing my age but I still find the idea of a remote control for a car stereo amusing...
    same as touch screen car stereos (i fitted one to mine and it diddnt stay in for more than a few hours)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread