+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Other Stuff Thread, Hi-Fi - Setups in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Andrew_C To make mine sound better, I'm going to buy a few of these. Silver SuperKord Signature-SD ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    To make mine sound better, I'm going to buy a few of these.

Silver SuperKord Signature-SD II : product details The Silver SuperKord Sig...

and, no I'm not, and it is after noon!
    Seriously? Isn't that like a glass hammer?

Thank Post
    Does anyone remember when QED brought out 'directional speaker cable'?

Thank Post
    I know the sony stuff isnt the best out there but the 2 amps ive had have sounded alright to me and they have been the cheaper end of the home cinema range. Now granted there are other makes out there for similar money and they may be better but my last amp lasted nearly 10 years (which these days for an electrical device is damned good (it does still work but every now and agin it makes a horrid noise)). I also have to say ive had no build quality issues with them the old one felt like it was built like a tank new one dosent feel quite as sturdy but hardly flimsy. I also like the fact that with hdmi and having a ps3 and sony tv i can do most stuff from 1 remote for instance if i turn on the ps3 it turns the tv and amp on and selects the right settings. Any Midi/micro system is a compramise whatever you get.

10000000w pmpo weah because like megapixels thats the only good measure of quality lol. I swear ive seen computer speakers ratat at 500w pmpo read the box carefully its really about 5.

Subs ive personally never been that bothered my fronts give enough bass for me 90% of the time ok sometimes in a film i wouldnt mind a bit more but not enough to buy a 1/2 decent sub

while your here is there actually any point in the extra speakers that a 7.1 system can cope with or is it just more speakers for the sake of more speakers?

Thank Post
    If you have the room, 7.1 is worth it, think of what its like sitting in your local cinema, its a bit like that lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    Subs ive personally never been that bothered my fronts give enough bass for me 90% of the time ok sometimes in a film i wouldnt mind a bit more but not enough to buy a 1/2 decent sub

while your here is there actually any point in the extra speakers that a 7.1 system can cope with or is it just more speakers for the sake of more speakers?
    For listening to music a sub is pretty un-necessary unless you're listening to drum and bass or other electronic type music specifically designed to be listened to with a sub. However they do add more depth to films. On my Front Room cinema setup, if I'm listening to music I turn it to 2ch mode, I only use the surround mode for films.

As for 7.1 - there's still a lot of films that aren't encoded in it, although most blu-ray stuff is now. Personally I find it hard to tell the subtle difference between 7.1 and a well setup 5.1 system having listened to both at times, I don't think it's worth the extra expense, but if you've got the room and the money to do it when why not.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post

is there actually any point in the extra speakers that a 7.1 system can cope with or is it just more speakers for the sake of more speakers?
    Depends. On films with a soundtrack recorded for 5.1 or 7.1, it can add to the experience enormously (at least compared to stereo).

A decent sub will go much lower than all but the most exotic speakers with less distortion and tracks optimised for 5.1 should have a track mixed specifically for the presence of a sub. The other advantage of a sub is to unload the amp a bit. With 7 speakers to drive it helps to offload the low frequencies to an active sub just in terms of load on the power supply. For music I have mixed feelings - the processor is making up a 'mix' on the fly if it is feeding 7 speakers. However even with mission 735's at the front which are well capable of decent bass, listening to Bach's Passagalia and Fuge in C, with Missions on their own it's good - impressive even, with the sub online, it is awesome. The downside of a sub is they are really really fussy about the room and position they are in and without some EQ management, they can as easily ruin a good set-up and compliment it. Even with good EQ, you can only really get them right for one listening position. I guess that's true for all speakers really but since they don't usually go quite so low, it's not quite so noticeable.

Thank Post
    got old JVC min-system in the kitchen sounds fine for the kitchen but wouldnt use it for normal living room use - doesnt look as good as the main system either!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by salan View Post
    Does anyone remember when QED brought out 'directional speaker cable'?
    Actually, all metal cables are directional. Whether or not you can actually hear a difference depends on the cable, your system, and your ears. I won't debate the point, IME you either believe it or you don't, irrespective of the science behind it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busybub View Post
    I won't debate the point, IME you either believe it or you don't, irrespective of the science behind it.
    Science?? Don't make me laugh! Snake Oil; pure and simple!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Science?? Don't make me laugh! Snake Oil; pure and simple!
    Precisely why I never bother trying to convince anybody...

Thank Post
    It is true that cables can be made directional and the difference can be scientifically measured using very sensitive instruments, but in reality it makes no difference in the sound you perceive, it really doesn't. You'll get more loss through the connections between the amp and the cable and the speaker and the cable than any suposed gain you might get from directional cable.

This also goes for silver cable and anything gold plated - the only use they have (apart from looking nice) is they do stop oxidation at the exposed ends, but in themselves don't really offer any notable improvement over copper. I actually use mains cable for my speaker wire and it sounds absolutely fine, and it's a lot cheaper. I measured the resistance of mains cable against some 12 guage speaker cable and there was such a tiny difference it wasn't worth worrying about.

Thank Post
    Me too, I use mains cable as speaker cable such like old extension cables etc etc, it is cheap and sounds absolutely fine it's what I recommend to anyone.

Thank Post
    Have been into hifi for yonks and have box swapped loads of kit over the years. Music is my primary thing and getting a decent music and home cimema setup can be a challenge - you need to spend serious cash to get decent results from AV amps for music. Very happy with the system now, using a stereo amp for music, with the pre-outs from my AV processor fed into it for home cinema use. The current kit list:

Living Room System:

- Sony RCD-W100 - as a transport/CD recorder
    - Sony MDS-JB980 MiniDisc deck - Sony's last 'QS' series model - fantastic bit of kit
    - Denon TU-1800 FM/DAB Tuner
    - Rega P1 Turntable with stock RB100 arm / Ortofon OM5e MM cartridge
    - Arcam rDAC - the CD-R deck, one of my DVD players and the PC (via USB) are fed into this
    - Marantz DV-6600 DVD/DVD-Audio/SACD player (multi-region)
    - Sony RDR-HXD560 HDD/DVD recorder with FreeView Tuner
    - Sony PS3 120GB Slim (upgraded to 250GB)
    - Arcam FMJ A18 - combined with the rDAC, sounds absolutely stunning for music
    - Yamaha DSP-E800 - 3-channel amp (for rears/centre) with pre-outs for sub/fronts (fronts powered by the Arcam).
    Processes Dolby Digital and DTS too.
    - Wharfedale Diamond 10.3 floorstanders (Fronts)
    - Wharfedale Diamond 10CM (Centre)
    - Wharfedale Diamond 10.0 (Rears - on Atcama Nexus 10SE stands)
    - LG 32LH4010 32" 1080p LCD TV

Bedroom System:

- Sherwood amp - £8.50 from a car boot
    - Philips CDR760 CD Recorder (used as a CD player only)
    - Sony MDS-JE480 MiniDisc Deck
    - Yamaha TX-386 FM/AM Tuner (free from Freecycle)
    - Onkyo DS-AX2 iPod Dock
    - Mission m70 Bookshelf Speakers (had these yonks with a variety of kit - excellent little speakers)

Portables:

- iPod Classic 160GB
    - iPod Nano 3G 8GB
    - Panasonic MiniDisc Recporder
    - Sony MiniDisc Recorder
    - Sony DiscMan
    Last edited by nsherin; 5th May 2011 at 01:43 AM.

Thank Post
    I sand filled my Q 1030i's last night, cant say I noticed a difference, maybe a tad more bass, think I need to fiddle with my x-overs as they are set to 100hz and im not positive its the best for my setup.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nsherin View Post
    - Arcam FMJ A18 - combined with the rDAC, sounds absolutely stunning for music
    Jealous. Lovely amp.

Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast