+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Other Stuff Thread, Hi-Fi - Setups in Fun Stuff; 2 Kenwood amps, 1 for midrange and trebble connected to some JBL control 1s and the other a pair of ...

Thank Post
    2 Kenwood amps, 1 for midrange and trebble connected to some JBL control 1s and the other a pair of 12" subs with custom crossovers to do the bass.

Another kenwood in my computer room powering JBL control 1s again.

Thank Post
    Linn Sondek LP12
    Ittok Arm
    Dynavector DV-10x4 MKII cartridge
    Rotel RA1312 Amplifier
    Celef PE1 Speakers

OLD SKOOL!!!

Thank Post
    Rotel amps are great, few years back I had an old Silver Rotel amp (was a massive thing seen breeze blocks smaller) and it was great, I think it powered at 20 Watts Per Channel, anyway went off to a party with a friend and we got there to hear nothing but a silence and naturally at a party you expect to hear a tune or 3. Anyway we went to see the guy playing the music and said whats up and his reply was "everytime I turn my amp on it blows". It was some kind of PA Amp, anyway so I ran home and grabbed the Rotel and went back to the party and said to the guy "Will this do"? and he said nah I dont think it'll power those speakers, But he put different cables on the speakers and hooked them up to the Rotel, and it sang its little heart out at full pelted volume for a good slid 6-7 hours and never missed a beat, and it sounded pretty good!

I've also had a similar experience with an old Nad 28Watt PC Amp ad that was even better than the Rotel, I've just sold a Rotel - RCD 965BX CD player for £60 it was 16 years old and never had a service and still works like it was brand new!

I think in many instances the old stuff is far better than the new stuff, I've been into Richer Sounds in town and can't really find anything in there with as much character as some of the old stuff in the second hand hi-fi shop up the road with all the 'older' kit in usually from the 90's.

Thank Post
    I think it powered at 20 Watts Per Channel, anyway went off to a party with a friend and we got there to hear nothing but a silence
    Its hard to explain that to people; 20watts of proper audio equipment is always going to trump someones "top of the range" 400watt sony* crap. I always have a giggle when I sit someone directly infront of my near field monitors and they can't hear me saying "Yeah, my 100watts is just slightly louder than your 10000watt car audio, and my speakers arn't even designed to be loud"

Or the best one; "Yeah, but does your hifi have a sub?"
    "No, it doesn't have a sub, it just has decent speakers in the first place, that way it doesn't need a separate sub. Its in my livingroom, not a nightclub ffs"

*Not that all sony stuff is crap, some of it is really good actually, just most of the stuff people buy, well, isnt - exhibit A

Last edited by j17sparky; 31st March 2011 at 08:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    I've also had a similar experience with an old Nad 28Watt PC Amp ad that was even better than the Rotel
    One of the reasons I like NAD equipment, they're more realistic with their output ratings, but they always perform far in excess of what you'd expect for the quoted power. The NAD L40 I have is rated at 30w per channel, but it sounds much louder and clearer than more powerful amps I've had from other companies in the past, and drives big speakers with ease. I've had it rigged up to the B&W 603's I have which are rated at 150w and it drives them hard when you turn it up - it will fill a medium sized hall with ease at about 60% volume on the 603's and sounds crystal clear.

Thank Post
    LOL I know exactly what you mean, like you get 1000Watt Car amps and subs but to try and explain that a hi-fi at 100 watts can be better sounding and richer and louder is very hard indeed - like trying to unset jelly. Sony stuff is good or rather the majority - I have found there build quality of some of there Amps and CD Decks a bit flimsy and cheap and quite tinny, I like Sony CDP's as they have made some brilliant ones but I also like Mini-Disc and go to Sony every time for the players/recorders.

Sony have also made some very good tape decks in there time too, I think it's what you spend with Sony, but older stuff is usually always better

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    LOL I know exactly what you mean, like you get 1000Watt Car amps and subs but to try and explain that a hi-fi at 100 watts can be better sounding and richer and louder is very hard indeed - like trying to unset jelly. Sony stuff is good or rather the majority - I have found there build quality of some of there Amps and CD Decks a bit flimsy and cheap and quite tinny, I like Sony CDP's as they have made some brilliant ones but I also like Mini-Disc and go to Sony every time for the players/recorders.

Sony have also made some very good tape decks in there time too, I think it's what you spend with Sony, but older stuff is usually always better
    Aye dont get me wrong, I love some of Sonys stuff; the minidisc would have been absolutely brilliant if it had been cheaper or they had waited until people were willing to pay £150+ for a walkman (iPods etc). I guess my dig is at the cheap sony stuff and peoples assumption that because it has a sony badge on it it must be good. One of my mates has iirc a sony 100w per ch + 100w sub mini system, and it has got to be one of the worst sounding systems I have ever heard. The bass, well it may aswell be turned off its so quiet. So then he puts "groove" on and the bass goes from nothing to "I'm going to fart so loudly that you aren't going to be able to hear the rest of the music". I honestly can't describe how bad it sounds, infact I'd put the £20 logitec PC speaker I have at work up against it. (The picture I posted previously is very close to the model he has)

On the other hand another friend has a proper sony mini system which is really good for ~£400, which I wouldn't be disappointed if I bought it.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 31st March 2011 at 09:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Yeah I know exactly what you mean - a guy I knew had nothing but Sony amps - but it was always the lower market budget stuff and yeah I know what you mean about the bass - it was very subdued in the bass and it was very tinny in the trebles, it also couldnt be adjusted so it was that or nothing and he thought that his sound was better than my Technics SU-X502, which wasn't the best of amps BUT it was better than his Sony, and to make his sound worse he had his amp hooked up to a PYE CD Player which didnt have a great DAC in it and it was the noisiest player that I've come accross, all my system then was digital too which made it sound better but hey his Sony must of been better sounding and looking than mine lol, the first mini-disc i bought was the early model of the Sony Range and it wasn't cheap but in the end I ended up selling it and went to Pioneer as the rest of my system was Pioneer, and it was far better sounding and I found it to be more reliable with discs than the Sony.

I head for ebay every time I buy hi-fi now, get some good bargains on there on older stuff if you buy the right kit
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 31st March 2011 at 09:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Made a mistake, my amp is actually a Rotel RA-1412 introduced in 1976 and conservatively rated at 110WPA, massive and weighs a ton!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    Squeezebox = way forward.

Pete, our sysadmin, is running squeezeserver on some NAS device, I run mine on an old dell desktop with a server grade disk in it. I have 2 sqeezes, an old mk1 on the hifi, and a new radio in the bedroom. The newest "touch" versions are a mite $$ but you can get old mk2s on ebay for little money, and theres no real advantage to the newer ones except album art.
    Yeah - and if you rip to "flac" the sound quality is very good

Thank Post
    Arcam Alpha 7 Amp
    Michell transcriptor hydraulic reference turntable - As seen on a clockwork orange.
    Replacing speakers at the moment.

Also worked in a HiFi shop for 2 years back when I was in my early twenties.

Thank Post
    hifi.jpg

NAD C370 Amplifier
    NAD 216 THX Power Amplifier
    Epos M12.2 Speakers on Mission Stance stands
    Rega Planet 2000 CD Player
    Pure DRX-701ES DAB/FM Tuner
    Rega Couple Interconnects
    QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable

Bought most of these years ago but am very happy with the sound. I am hoping this will last me many years.

Pete

Thank Post
    To make mine sound better, I'm going to buy a few of these.

Silver SuperKord Signature-SD II : product details The Silver SuperKord Sig...

and, no I'm not, and it is after noon!

Thank Post
    Hey dudes didn't notice this Hifi thread till now. I like a bit of music in the evening to relax after a hectic day in school!!!

Source1: Apple Macbook Pro via USB into DAC
    Source2: Cambridge Audio Azur 640c V2 as transport via Coaxial Digital into DAC
    Source3; XBOX 360 Elite via Optical Digital into DAC
    DAC: Beresford TC-7520 internally modified and with 15v LithiumPolymer Battery Supply.
    Power Amp: XTZ Divine AP-100 running in 50w/chanel ClassA mode.
    Speakers: Tannoy DC3000 from 1991

Sorry about the terrible pics. I really need to take some good ones!!!!

P3134561.jpgP3134563.jpg

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    Yeah - and if you rip to "flac" the sound quality is very good
    I rip mp3 and it is "good enough" tbh.. but that's a different debate. Certainly the squeeze will handle various MP3, OGG, Flac and I think AAC too. And the server software is good. And there are smartphone apps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast