+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Other Stuff Thread, Hi-Fi - Setups in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by Dos_Box The thing I want to see is a proper 'rip-your-cd-to-<insert high quality audio codec here>-on-large-internal-hardrive-go-on-internet-label-it-up-and-provide-album-cover-and-allow-you-to-have-all-of-this-via-alomost-instant-on-without-having-to-resort-to-a-third-device-to-stream-from/too. It's ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    The thing I want to see is a proper 'rip-your-cd-to-<insert high quality audio codec here>-on-large-internal-hardrive-go-on-internet-label-it-up-and-provide-album-cover-and-allow-you-to-have-all-of-this-via-alomost-instant-on-without-having-to-resort-to-a-third-device-to-stream-from/too.
    It's not too much to ask is it? I've got a media PC as part of my hi-fi setup, but the sheer amount of time it takes to boot makes it impractical for playing music (coupled with the fact you have to have the TV on to see what you are doing! If we could just have the same kind of MP3 player revolution that swept CD Walkmen aside in hi-fi seperate format I'll be happy. Oh! And you must be abe to transfer from USB memory stick on to it as well!!
    My mate uses the Squeezebox system - its quite neat if a tad expensive. My media PC is on all day anyway - so thats not a prob linked up to a uP&P NAS for sound & video

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My system is a Logitech X-540 Multimedia Speaker System I think the sound is great for the money.

Thank Post
    My 'office' at home has a pair of Linn Keilidh's being driven Bi-Amped by a pair of Quad 405's fed from an old Quad 34. Sources are a Linn Majik CD, an iPod dock and a Linn Axis/Akito/K9 combo. Living room is an AV setup with a Onkyo TX NR708 driving a pair of mission 753's at the front, quad 12L's at the rear an HK centre and 2 small denon speakers (left over from the old AV amp) set up as 'front height'. There's a BK Monolith giving some extra oomph on the base which is run through an antimode room EQ. It's a bit overkill for Corrie but with something like Iron Man on DVD, it shines (or causes the windows to rattle).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would love a quad 405 and quad 34. Nice my friend has that set up but with some PMC TB2.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i had a great setup back in scotland, sony 7.1 amp with some decent eltax speakers but over here ive jsut gone with the logitech z5500

Thank Post
    Quad 303 & 33. Roku Soundbridge for music, old Pioneer tuner, Sony HDD/DVD for CDs & telly. Wharfdale NXT speakers... They are certainly "interesting"!

Thank Post
    I've got a bit of a mixed setup at home, downstairs is a Sonos setup, in the kitchen I've got a zp80 linked to a NAD amplifier up in the roof connected to some B&W ceiling speakers. In the lounge is another Zp80 connected to a sony surround sound amp, only got it to connected to a pair of kef bookshelf speakers at the moment. But means the ps3 & sky box can link in as well. Got a Sonos touchscreen controller downstairs, but mainly use iphone to control it. Music is stored on server upstairs and connected via sonos zonebridge. Upstairs I've also got a squeezebox for the bedroom and Harman Kardon Sound Sticks II on the main desktop

Thank Post
    Sony STR-DH800 AV Receiver
    2x Q Acoustic 1030i floor standers
    2x GALE 3010S bookshelves
    1x Tannoy SFX Sub
    1x Cambridge Audio S50 centre
    XBMC PC via HDMI for bitstreamed audio

Bit of a mix and match on a budget but it sounds great, if not a little movie audio orientated.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Wharfdale NXT speakers...
    Please don't mention NXT again, it hurts - should have bought Verity Group shares when they were a penny each; they topped out at £16.50ish...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What is the best way of getting HDMI or optical out decoded into 3 separate analogy 3.5mm jacks. I would like to get surround sound and use my logitech x-540 speakers.

Thank Post
    This will take an optical output and decode it to analogue
    Lindy SPDIF Digital To Analogue Stereo Audio Converter - Electronics at Play.com (UK)

... I dont know of a 3 way version though ... I looked a lot for a device to convert 5.1 optical to 5.1 analogue but coudnt find anything ... I ended up buying a SACD player that had optical and analogue outputs

Thank Post
    down Stairs now we just have the Bose system. Very pleased with it, but I miss the sugdens amp and kef speakers etc.

Thank Post
    Mrs Gonk works for a local, familiy run electrical reatiler. They sell most things, Panasonic, Sony, NAD, Denon etc. They now sell Bose.

The owner and I spent the best part of an hour well, playing with the new Bose kit. I likedit so much I came home with these Companion 5 multimedia speaker system | Bose.

I have to say that they're awesome.

Thank Post
    Well i've got Pioneer VSX-609RDS which is now 10 years old. It's a 5.1 AV Receiver that has my PS3, sky, laptop and anything else I care to plug into it. The speakers are Gale Moviestar 5 with 2 floorstanders, 1 centre and 2 surround bookshelf speakers. The sub is an Eltax, I think, 200w 15" downwardfiring, house shaking monster. Had enough bass before the sub but films and games are so much better. Often gets aired loudly as I live in a detached bungalow, with 50m to nearest neighbours. Most annoying thing is doors rattle when bass kicks!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    My mate uses the Squeezebox system - its quite neat if a tad expensive. My media PC is on all day anyway - so thats not a prob linked up to a uP&P NAS for sound & video
    Squeezebox = way forward.

Pete, our sysadmin, is running squeezeserver on some NAS device, I run mine on an old dell desktop with a server grade disk in it. I have 2 sqeezes, an old mk1 on the hifi, and a new radio in the bedroom. The newest "touch" versions are a mite $$ but you can get old mk2s on ebay for little money, and theres no real advantage to the newer ones except album art.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast