+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Other Stuff Thread, 1.4 Car towing ? in Fun Stuff; Originally Posted by alan-d You are allowed to tow up to 100% of the kerbweight of your car as long ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    You are allowed to tow up to 100% of the kerbweight of your car as long as the total does not exceed 3500Kg without doing a further towing test. However the recommendation by caravan clubs and the like is 85% of the kerbweight of your car. You then have to consider the tow weight the manufacturers place on the car, the handbook should tell you this.
    From what you have said above you should be fine, the Nissan will tow OK for the short journeys you are planning. As for a diesel, I would only consider this if I were making long journeys on a regular basis as diesel cars don't really like short ones.
    Weight distribution on the trailer will also make a lot of difference, you should place heavy items over the trailer axles, too much toward the front or back will make towing very uncomfortable as well as being liable to take you into a ditch or worse.
    This only applies if you passed your test before 1997 - after this you have to do a trailier license for anything over 750kg

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    This only applies if you passed your test before 1997 - after this you have to do a trailier license for anything over 750kg
    I think we have already established that.

Just to clarify though the DVLA states
    Car licences obtained on or after 1 January 1997

If you passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 you're limited to vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes maximum authorised mass towing a trailer up to 750kgs, or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM providing the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. You will need to pass an additional driving test in B+E if you wish to tow a caravan or trailer combination which exceeds these weight limits.
    As the OP states that the trailer with load should weigh no more than 500Kg then he should not need to take a trailer test.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    As the OP states that the trailer with load should weigh no more than 500Kg then he should not need to take a trailer test.
    But if he gets a trailer with the capacity of carrying more then it will be illegal - which given the size of the average quadbike the trailer will probly be able to carry more

Thank Post
    But if he gets a trailer with the capacity of carrying more then it will be illegal - which given the size of the average quadbike the trailer will probly be able to carry more

Very true but my crystall ball is broken so I can only go by what information the OP has given. Of course he may want to tow a rally car in the future so he will need to take a test but he didn't say that may be the case. :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    I don't want to do rally driving or ought else like that

Quad bike I am looking at is the Can Am Renegade 800 Xxc which is about 279 Kg dry weight

I couldn't find the MAM of my car which is a 1.4 Nissan Almera Ambition ( 1999 )

Back on track ref a pickup truck though ( one of my earlier comments )
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 14th December 2010 at 10:19 AM.

Thank Post
    This may be it - but check anyway as I'm not sure it's the exact model of your car

Kerbweight 1035 kgs Braked Tow Weight 900 kgs 85% of kerbweight: 879.75 kgs 95% of Kerbweight: 983.25 kgs
    Found it here Nissan Tow Cars

Thank Post
    A pickup should do the job providing you check the weight of the quad on the back doesn't exceed its Max train weight of the axel. Also you want to make sure it doesn't make it top heavy.

My earlier comment regarding a larger trailer was more due to the size of the quad you might not get a small enough trailer to be within the law hence the need for a towing license.

Thank Post
    The size of the trailer is irrelevant so long as he never makes the combined weight of the trailer and cargo(quad) more than 750KG, eg he could tow a huge trailer that weighs 749KG with no problem or a 100kg trailer with 649kg sand and still not a problem - the law says nothing about size or maximum capacity just the combined weight at the time of towing.

Thank Post
    A pickup should do the job providing you check the weight of the quad on the back doesn't exceed its Max train weight of the axel. Also you want to make sure it doesn't make it top heavy.

My earlier comment regarding a larger trailer was more due to the size of the quad you might not get a small enough trailer to be within the law hence the need for a towing license.
    Where or how do I find out the max train weight of the pickup??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Where or how do I find out the max train weight of the pickup??
    Its most likely to either be in the manual or on the manafacturers website. If the pickup can tow more then the weight of the quad plus bits then you should be okay with sticking the items on the back. Before some! Shoots me I know you are not towing it but the towing weight etc is an indicator to its weight as its all done on the axel rating

Thank Post
    Its most likely to either be in the manual or on the manafacturers website. If the pickup can tow more then the weight of the quad plus bits then you should be okay with sticking the items on the back. Before some! Shoots me I know you are not towing it but the towing weight etc is an indicator to its weight as its all done on the axel rating
    Think I might have to ask a new question in a years time or so when I am ready as totally confazled here but will leave the pickup truck towing thing for now

Thanks for the info

Thank Post
    You guys are all wrong ! check this link out . Towing trailers or caravans with vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes : Directgov - Motoring

Direct from the goverment ....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fontayne56 View Post
    You guys are all wrong ! check this link out . Towing trailers or caravans with vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes : Directgov - Motoring

its recently changed i think

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fontayne56 View Post

Bit of a sweeping statement there! Maybe if you read the thread properly you may have spotted the quote from this site. Does it look familiar?

Thank Post
    Towing .. right, I looked long and hard into this (I'll dig out links in a mo) ..

Basically, first thing to check, does you car have a towing rating on it's V5 doc? If so, this will be the legal stipulation as to what you can tow with that vehicle. Towing with a car is not just about the getting going part, but the stopping part as well, so you need to look and see if the manufacturer has stipulated. (for instance, I had - well still have until I've sold it - a 2002 Astra Bertone 2.2l Petrol Convertible (I wanted something a bit fun) which could tow up to around 1.25 tonnes because of it's ability to stop the trailer as well as get it going, but I now have a Discovery with a towing limit of 3.5 tonnes). So that's point 1 to check.

In terms of the towing limits for post 1997 drivers (I am one so that's why I looked into it long and hard before buying my trailer) you can either drive:

a) a vehicle with a MGW of up to 3.5 tonnes with a trailer of a MGW of up to 750kg unbraked
    b) a vehicle and braked trailer where the MGW of both trailer and vehicle together is no greater than 3.5tonnes

So, using my own as examples. I have a braked trailer of 1 ton MGW. With my astra (that had a MGW of around 2.3) I was allowed to pull the trailer as the combined was not more than 3.5. However, with the Disco, I'll have to do a trailer test as the Discos MGW is around the 2.8 mark and the trailer is still a 1 ton, so that puts it at 3.8, over the limit I'm allowed to tow.

Towing trailers or caravans with vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes : Directgov - Motoring is the basis of the information for all of this.

In terms of doing a trailer test, Google "Car Trailer Test {area you live}" and it will bring back a number of results. I know in Lancashire, the North Lancs Training Group offer is (probably who I'll do mine with as the wife refuses to drive the disco, never mind with a trailer (she passed before 1997).

Hope that helps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast