+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Other Stuff Thread, Facebook Movie out Friday in Fun Stuff; coming soon, the auction website the movie Looks like a terrible film. Still, cant be as bad as the real ...

Thank Post
    coming soon, the auction website the movie

Looks like a terrible film. Still, cant be as bad as the real facebook.

Thank Post
    Is it already out? I read that it's out at weekend... It will pass a few hours of time, it looks rather good.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Buster Bloodvessel.

Lip up fatty, ah lip up fatty, for the reggae,
    Lip up fatty, ah lip up fatty, for the reggae,
    I'm hurt at that suggestion. I was rather hoping for Peter Lorre (ok, I know he's dead but I can dream can't I?)....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I wonder what people will think if they ever make EduGeek The Movie ...

My bet is on Meat Loaf to play Chris and The Phantom Flan Flinger to play Mattx.
    Who gets to play your good self Tony?

Thank Post
    The Twitter Networking Video - YouTube - Twitter Movie Trailer: Rated Awesome #2
    The YouTube Networking Video - If Every Website Got a Melodramatic Movie - Funny Videos | Cracked.com

You can make a video like this for mostly anything, going to speak to the team about doing a Moodle one! LMAO!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Who gets to play your good self Tony?
    I'll be the bloke you only get to see the odd body part of as they leave the room or is driving away from meetings, etc ... the body doubles will range from Arnie through to John Prescott, depending on how much I have been hitting the coke and Pizza.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, I went to see it this afternoon and was pleasently surprised. It's really quite good, and Mr Zuckerburg does not come out of it well at all. He is protrayed (and I think quite rightly) as a very insecure, annoying almost Asbergers like character who was swept along by events and dumped on a hell of a lot of people on the way. It's quite a gripping story with no overacting or dramatisations of someone with an idea (partly stolen) who ignored almost everything going on around him in their desire to see it 'work'. If you liked The Pirates of Silicon Valley, you'll love this.

Thank Post
    It's got Justin Timberlake in. So I'd rather rub my nipples with a cheese grater than watch it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    The Social Network, the story of Facebook, is out on Friday. Anybody else off to see it?
    I saw it on Saturday - it lacked technical detail. I can't belive they chose to emphasise the sex and drugs aspect instead of devoting more time to the technical workings of Facebook. That chess-player ranking algorithm looked quite interesting, for a start - the main characters could have spent a good half hour or so expanding on that instead of sleeping with pretty coeds...

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I saw it on Saturday - it lacked technical detail. I can't belive they chose to emphasise the sex and drugs aspect instead of devoting more time to the technical workings of Facebook. That chess-player ranking algorithm looked quite interesting, for a start - the main characters could have spent a good half hour or so expanding on that instead of sleeping with pretty coeds...

--
    David Hicks
    Hmmm, I wonder what will attract more paying customers, Geek stuff or sex?

;-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I thought there was very little sex, and what was hinted at was only to demonstate either what the main characters were missing, what they got through fame and what one of the main characters vices were (Shaun Parker). It's a 12 film, so if any of you think that it's al sex and drugs, it isn't. In fact, the drugs were only shown once, and that was in context as well.
    A film focussing on the technical side of Facebook would have bombed, in fact they missed out quite a few of the more famous remarks made by Zuckerberg (perhaps for legal reasons) which would have driven the knife in deeper.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 18th October 2010 at 11:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Just finished watching this - my verdict.........piece of scheisse. Avoid.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It was accurate then?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Just finished watching this - my verdict.........piece of scheisse. Avoid.
    In what way? Acting, factuality, personal dislike of the subject matter?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post

--
    David Hicks
    I really enjoyed it as a Movie. The writing by Arraon Sorkin and the performances were all very good. I don't think they could have focused more on coding as the audience would not be interested in the in's and out's of php. If they focused more on coding it would not be a blockbuster movie, it would be a documentary with a very small audience (and no profit).

It's clearly fictional in the depiction of events and and the characters. The movie is aimed at Gen Y and it ticks all the right boxes.

• Facebook
    • Sex
    • Drugs
    • Alcohol
    • Power
    • Money
    • College
    • Friendship (well mainly betrayal)

I don't think Mark Zuckerberg comes off that badly, he does come across as a genius coder who is fairly idealistic. As he says he does not create Facebook to become rich, he built it because it was cool. He also comes across as someone who was in the right place at the right time. The Winklevoss twins clearly have the idea of "a facebook" for Harvard first but they had no idea how to implement it. He can take an idea and implement it quickly.

Zuckerberg was in the best place to start a social network as the main problem is how do you seed the social network in the beginning. Harvard already has an elite social network, that's one of the main reasons people attend. This is shown in the movie where Zuckerberg and his friends do not care about their grades, they are smart enough that it is given you will get straight A's. Zuckerberg illustrates this when we walks out a lecture as he believes they are a waste of time. The lecturer believes it is because he does not understand the question being asked, so Zuckerberg shouts out he answer casually as he walks away. So ability is not enough to succeed at Harvard, as demonstrated by Zuckerberg's obsession with gaining entry to the Finals Club at the start of the movie.

When you want to expand the network, Students at other Universities will want to join because it's popular at Harvard, so he can expand to the rest of the Ivy League, then overseas (Oxford, Cambridge) then the rest of the Universities and then the public.

He is also in an environment where he has access to idea's and to money. When he needs $20,000 to found facebook he can ask his friend to fund all the servers and pay for him to live in California.

There is a good interview with Mark Zuckerberg where he talks about the movie.
    Justin.tv - Startup School - Mark Zuckerberg (full interview) Facebook
    Last edited by somabc; 31st October 2010 at 10:18 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast