+ Post New Thread
Other Stuff Thread, Which motorbike? in Fun Stuff; ...
    Thank Post

Which motorbike?

Hi

I am going to start saving to get myself another motorbike. I used to have a suzuki bandit 600 but had to sell it as I bough a house, that was 6 years ago!

I am now in a position to start to save to get another bike but I can decide what to get.
    I am going to try and save about £3000.

What would you recommend I get, the bike will not be used for communting, just fun on the weekends

Thank Post
    If you enjoyed having a 600, get a CBR600(RR if you can afford it). Absolutely stunning bikes to ride.

Thank Post
    Depends what sort of bike you want/enjoy!

Sports bike, street, tourer???

would you be willing to scarifice a bit more comfort for a little extra "fun factor"....

BMW GS800 are great bikes and can be picked up fairly cheap now, they are pretty damn comfy, and great fun on/off road
    But if you want a sports bike, I would recommend a Suzuki GSXR (Size dependant on you), probably the comfiest sports bike out there imo (I ride a Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R...)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    I've got one of these: [ FMX 650 ]

Great fun to hack around on......

Thank Post
    I ride a ZX6R ('03 636) and I love the smoothnesss, the power and just the bike in general. My mate has a CBR600F4 and he loves his to bits. TBH I don't think you can go far wrong if you know roughly what you want.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had a ZZR600 for may years. Very comfy for touring and fast enough to be fun.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the replys.

Those of you who have sports bikes does your back ache from leaning over after a long ride or your rists from leaning on them? I have never riden a sports bike but the riding position looks like it could take its toll after a while. If not than thats great, may have to take one for a test ride.

I am also looking at a suzuki SV 650, or something similar.

Thank Post
    It does a little but you can adjust your riding style to accomodate it. Sometimes something as simple as scooching your bum forward on the seat can relieve it. A lot of people mention about wrist problems etc... but I find that's on long journeys or after not riding for a while, most poeple won't be touring on a sportsbike.

BTW I was at a car dealer yesterday getting a new car and the sales person used to have a ZX6R B1H and and so did the sales manager. They got rid of them for various reasons, family commitments etc... They loved their bikes.

Thank Post
    I was tempted by this gilera nexus 500cc only 9725 miles showroom condition on eBay (end time 21-Sep-10 17:06:26 BST) Ride it down to Portugal and leave it there so I don't have to hire a car every time we go. Just got to sell the idea to the wife!

Thank Post
    It depends what you call a long journey!

I do 60 miles on mine easily without discomfort, But I wouldn't use my Ninja to ride all the way to Berwick to see my brother (400 miles)!

Thank Post
    Well I finally bought another motorbike. Got a kawasaki ER-6F its great so easy to ride and now the weather is getting better I can get out on it even more.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by itgeek2008 View Post
    Well I finally bought another motorbike. Got a kawasaki ER-6F its great so easy to ride and now the weather is getting better I can get out on it even more.
    I'd be out on mine if I wasn't flat broke and could afford to MOT and tax it. Sad times.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by itgeek2008 View Post
    Good choice! I bought an ER-6F about 18 months ago. Economical enough when you need it to be but not exactly sluggish when you are in the mood for a bit more ...

Thank Post
    I've got an old '89 GSXF 600. Absolute wagon of a bike. It is a little bit on the heavy side as i only weigh about 10.5 stone and about 6ft but it's not too bad. IT handles nicely especially as it's got new forks and straight barks on there now =].

IF i was going to get another bike now, i think i'd go for a BMW which one i don't know. But i do like the K1200 touring bikes and also like the G series off road/enduro type bikes.

For 3000 queen heads you can get a pretty tidy bike.

But the ER-6 is definately a good choice. They're light, easy to handle. As Avalon said above, they don't hang around when you give it some, they'll give you in return what you ask for.

In the meantime i'll stick with my streetfightered GSXF =] Good to know fellow edugeekers have motorbikes as well!

Sadly i can't ride mine though due to loosing it through speeding multiple times =[ 9 points in the first 2 years doesn't go down well with the DVLA =[

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've got a Blackbird - It was a natural step from my VFR750F and I always wanted one. Although I love it, turbine like acceleration and faultless handling I do find it a little.... erm.... bland! It also loves the go go juice compared to my VFR. Seriously thinking of changing it in the near future, but for what I don't know. Like the look of the BMW F800ST, but recently I've been drawn towards the Moto Guzzi Griso 8V. Think I want something with a bit of character, not necessarily fast.

Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread