+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Other Stuff Thread, Avatar Blu-Ray in Fun Stuff; anyone know if it works on powerdvd9 ultra. Not so bothered about this film but i imaging future fox stuff ...

Thank Post
    anyone know if it works on powerdvd9 ultra. Not so bothered about this film but i imaging future fox stuff will also use this

Does drm stop anyone ever? I know i once got a cd that had drm on it and the only reason i copied it was to see if i could

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    Does drm stop anyone ever? I know i once got a cd that had drm on it and the only reason i copied it was to see if i could
    I imagine that hackers love it when a new form of protection comes out, it entertains them for a day (at most usually).

If studio's stopped investing so many millions of pounds on software based copy protection and accepted the fact that it will always be cracked, they could make the media much cheaper in the first place, meaning more people can afford it or are at least willing to pay for it rather than downloading it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I imagine that hackers love it when a new form of protection comes out, it entertains them for a day (at most usually).

If studio's stopped investing so many millions of pounds on software based copy protection and accepted the fact that it will always be cracked, they could make the media much cheaper in the first place, meaning more people can afford it or are at least willing to pay for it rather than downloading it
    Hey, stop using logic!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,029 Times in 729 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Hey, stop using logic!
    I'm sorry, I forgot about the corp rule that research is pointless and the more money you throw at something the better it will be

Thank Post
    I'm sorry, I forgot about the corp rule that research is pointless and the more money you throw at something the better it will be
    And yet on the reverse of that, almost everything is always made/supplied/produced by the lowest bidder!

at least, around here it is anyway........

Thank Post
    I'm tempted to give a crack now to see how bad it will look.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,765 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    Does DRM stop anyone ever?
    Yes. Ironically the customers who actually pay!!!

If you are one of the lucky ones who own a Pioneer BDP-51FD or BDP-05FD player and you want to watch Avatar there will be a nice surprise for you when you put the disc in.

However, there's a slight problem...

Unfortunately, the service update cannot be downloaded via the Internet or performed using a disc. Rather, affected players must be sent to Pioneer so that we can directly perform the service update.
    How ridiculous is that! I bet you have to pay for shipping out of your own pocket too.

Sadly, DRM isn't about stopping piracy. It's about control and the ability to keep selling you the same things over and over again.

Thank Post
    I imagine SlySoft are loving this too. They must be selling tons of copies of AnyDVD HD.

I'm so glad I bought a copy back when lifetime updates were free.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Yes. Ironically the customers who actually pay!!!

If you are one of the lucky ones who own a Pioneer BDP-51FD or BDP-05FD player and you want to watch Avatar there will be a nice surprise for you when you put the disc in.

However, there's a slight problem...

How ridiculous is that! I bet you have to pay for shipping out of your own pocket too.

Sadly, DRM isn't about stopping piracy. It's about control and the ability to keep selling you the same things over and over again.
    And that is why god invented Bittorrent.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    And that is why god invented Bittorrent.
    Exactly. If I wanted to, I could have downloaded a copy of Avatar in various formats (inc. full 1080p!) before the shops even opened on Monday morning. The movie studios didn't really achieve anything by updating the BD+ encryption keys. They only caused extra hassle for legitimate customers.

Thank Post
    Avatar Most Pirated Blu-ray Film Ever
    http://torrentfreak.com/avatar-most-...m-ever-100427/

With hundreds of thousands of downloads on BitTorrent just four days after its official release, Avatar is on its way to adding another title to its already impressive track record. With a download rate that surpasses all previous Blu-ray titles, the film is on its way to becoming the most pirated Blu-ray film to date.
    Another interesting observation is that a relatively high percentage of downloads in the first few days came from the UK and Australia. One of the reasons for this could be that these countries had a later release date which means that the pirated Blu-ray was available to them before the retail version hit the local stores.

DRM-Ravaged Avatar DVDs May Not Work On Blu-ray Players
    http://consumerist.com/2010/04/drm-r...y-players.html

Bought Avatar Blu-ray today along with ten gazillian other people. Only problem is that the digital rights mgmt or copy protection seems to be causing errors on a large number of players (even with updated firmware). Comments are pilling up on the web (see amazon link below). Nice job Fox, keep law abiding cash paying customers from viewing their DVDs so you can keep a few people from ripping copies to their iPods for road trips....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12