+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Other Stuff Thread, Edugeekers and Their Motorcycles in Fun Stuff; There really are some t**ts out there on the road! This morning, I'm about 2 miles from getting to work, ...
    Thank Post
    There really are some t**ts out there on the road! This morning, I'm about 2 miles from getting to work, doing 60 in a 60 when I see a tractor in the near distance waiting to pull out from a side road. He then proceeds to pull out as I'm approaching and he's only pulling a huge great trailor behind him as well! I've slammed on the brakes, back wheel has started skidding and sliding then the whole bike is sliding from left to right. I'm either going straight in to the back of his trailor or the only other place I've got to go is between him and the kerb which isnt a huge gap! As I've entered the gap, his trailor has straightened up in the road, I've gone straight in to the side of it and gone flying, landing on the grass verge!

Tractor driver didnt give 2 monkeys and just carried on. If I'd have thought about it, I would have got straight back on the bike and gone after him but all that I was concerned about was my bike at the time. When I eventually finished checking the bike over, I got back on but the tractor had obviously gone down a side road.

Bike is fine, I've got R & G bungs fitted. Gear lever is a bit buckled and a couple of scuffs on the left indie and clutch lever - the crash bung took the full force! Luckily it was grass I landed on too

I swear theres a lot of people out there on the roads out to get bikers!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Sounds like an in-bred farmer type action to me.....
    Main thing is your ok.
    Last edited by mattx; 19th June 2008 at 11:00 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Good job you weren't in a car - you'd definitely gone in the back of him.

Reminds me I was on my way home a couple of months ago, in the dark along a fast A-road road. Visibility wasn't good so I was (unusually) within the speed limit. Suddenly I was confronted by some f**kwit car-driver who proceeded to do a U-turn right in front of me! I locked up the back-wheel and did the zig-zag thing. Luckily I missed him by bout an inch. very scary. I can't believe he didn't see me...

Thank Post
    Woah! Glad you're OK but bummer about the bike. I would pop into the police to report and let your insurance know just so you are covered and becuase the tractor driver should have stopped.

I have major problems in situations like this as if I was to see the tractor I would start thinking about slowing down a I always suspect they will pull out. BUT by slowing down you give them an opening to pull out by taking longer to reach them and possibly getting them impatient. BUT if you keep constant speed (or speed up) and they do pull out you are of course going to hit them at a greater speed!

Thank Post
    I'm not hurt and the paintwork on the bike is fine so thats the main thing. He was looking my way before he pulled out as well - did he think I was suddenly going to stop just like that from 60mph? The fact that he just drove off proves he was in the wrong otherwise why didnt he stop to make sure I was ok? A lorry driver on the other side of the road stopped to make sure I was fine. I was just angry but the last thing I thought about was getting tractor details!

Oh well, another day survived on the bike

Thank Post
    You have to have clairvoyant powers on a bike. I have had a few people pull a sudden U turn on me. I had one last week when I was out with my dad. I expected him to pull out on me I was ready for that and was ready to overtake him. But no he decides to do a U turn .
    Now this was in gisburn which has hundreds of bikes through it at weekend so you would think the residents would be a bit more observant but not the case unfortunately. The only time I have come off my bike was due to gravel then a mistake on my part after panicking at not slowing down at all.

Thank Post
    You have to have clairvoyant powers on a bike.
    True, it's that I feel thats kept me alive all these years.....
    Constantly reading the road ahead - do it or DIE, it's that simple.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Definitely. Closest I have had is a white van pull over to the left making me think he was stopping or letting me through only to suddenly pull over to t he right to go into a turning. No indicator and pulling to the left meant no forewarning. That was teh first time I felt like chasing the guy to explain what a moron he was.

Elky, still report it to the police as they may have an idea who it is by the location of the tractor or have had reports previously of tractors just pulling out. Police can't do owt if they don't know anything.

Thank Post
    The thing that keeps me on my bike the most on the way to work is watching the front wheels of the cars. These people that suddenly decide they dont like waiting in traffic and turn into a side road while your passing them :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    The thing that keeps me on my bike the most on the way to work is watching the front wheels of the cars. These people that suddenly decide they dont like waiting in traffic and turn into a side road while your passing them :P

This is true! They just suddenly decide to yank the steering wheel and squeeze in to the gap next to them! Also had plenty of cars try and run me off the road at roundabouts and only recently had an old lady start coming over in to my lane with me right next to her. I'm beeping and she didnt have a clue. Both hands on steering wheel, concentrating really hard on the road ahead but decided she wanted a piece of my lane without even looking. Had to just speed up and get out of her way very quickly!

And dont even get me started on the fast lane hoggers! Had some girl doing 60 in the fast lane the other day, just twiddling her hair while being in her own little dreamland

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Elky, still report it to the police as they may have an idea who it is by the location of the tractor or have had reports previously of tractors just pulling out. Police can't do owt if they don't know anything.
    Unfortunately I work in Pulborough - its almost like Emmerdale Farm here! Tractors all over the show. But my girlfriend keeps telling me to report it so I may give in!

Thank Post
    I would say on every ride in to work I would avoid 2 to 3 accidents.

This morning I was filtering and the normal case of 'driver wanting to change lane without looking first' scene raised it's head.
    Then the case of ' Car pulling out edging out slowly came to view at the normal place ' - Me beeping my horn failed, then the ' I did not see you crap ' came from the drivers mouth...Hmmmm lets see, my headlight is on, I am wearing a yellow fluorescent jacket over my main jacket & it's a bright sunny morning.
    It won't be long before that driver either kills or gets killed themselves.....

Thank Post
    the ' I did not see you crap ' came from the drivers mouth...
    Headlight always on (you cant turn it off on the SV) plus I tend to filter in a lower gear so you can definitely hear me coming!
    Last edited by ChrisH; 19th June 2008 at 01:23 PM.

Thank Post

Remember Kids - always wear at least something....

Found it !!

Lesson for you all - don't be a tt like me...... Wear the right stuff when riding - this is what happened to me [ and my arm ] the last time I took a tumble....

Thank Post
    Ouch! I always wear the right stuff I have always been that way.
    I have taken to wearing my leather Dainese jacket under my fluorescent jacket as I like the protection of the leather jacket after being down in it once. The fluorescent does a better job of keeping the rain off than my expensive Goretex jacket as well

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast