+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Other Stuff Thread, Edugeekers and Their Motorcycles in Fun Stuff; Used to have a BSA Gold Star - you could hear it coming about 5 miles away Then rode a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Used to have a BSA Gold Star - you could hear it coming about 5 miles away
    Then rode a Suzuki GT250 - it was too big and I was forever dropping it at junctions!

Now I don't ride anything - too old and scared - won't let my children ride either!!

Thank Post
    First bike - BSA Bantam - 42 years ago!!!

Present bikes - 2001 Bandit 1200 and 1987 BMW R100RS.

Raced various Yamahas back in the '80s & have been Rallying since then. Doing the 2008 BTRDA Stage Rally Championship in a Corsa.

What's all this cr*p about being too old?! Finally retire at easter, so more time to enjoy bikes, cars & lots of leisure time!

RoyG

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Have to ask, how is it then Elky?
    After setting my heart on getting an SV650 a friend of my sister told me he is selling his 2006 Z750s with hardly any miles on it for 2.5k & would throw in a jacket and trousers for 100. Too good an offer to pass up so going for that later this week.
    Careful on that their not the most sedate of machines
    Last edited by ChrisH; 3rd March 2008 at 11:41 AM.

Thank Post
    I had an LML Star Deluxe - Indian Vespa Clone
    Beautiful she was too, till some scrote in a white van
    cut me up on a roundabout and i went into the back of him

lost the scoot & nearly lost use of my right hand
    which would have been a major disaster as the missus threatened
    to divorce me as we were expecting the heiress to the neb empire!

two & a half years on i've yet to get back on 2 wheels
    (or get my compo for that matter!)
    one day i'll be back with another vespa clone
    but this time with a sidecar for my little girl to ride in

god i miss it though sometimes

neb

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Careful on that there not the most sedate of machines
    Thats part of my worry but I think I will just take it gently & know I have teh power there if I need it. Also I have capacity to grow into as I get more confident.

So I keep telling myelf

Thank Post
    Yeah, you'll be fine if you take it easy mate. The SV runs like a dream and certainly shifts but I'm not going to go crazy on it. Will take a while to get used to it properly I'm sure

Thank Post
    The SV 650 seems a popular choice my neighbour has just bought one as well. They seem a nice bike but the riding position is a bit too far over for me.

Thank Post
    Yeah, meant to be a nice bike to learn on for your first bike and I got a cracking deal on it as well so cant complain. As they say though, the learning for me starts now!

Thank Post
    What ever the worse possible thing you can expect a car to do they generally do 50% of the time in my experience. They will either not see you or completely misjudge you speed from a rolling/standing start. If you are passing a junction where someone may pull out make sure you are nearer the centre of the road so they have a better chance of spotting you and cover your brake.
    If you are filtering through traffic keep an eye on their front wheels as you are approaching them. People get bored sitting in traffic and suddenly turn into a side street just as you are passing . Also in the same situation slow down and get ready to brake as you are passing junctions on the left as people let people out turning right and they pull out straight in front of you as they cant see you.
    Take it easy going into corners!!!! You can always speed up coming out of it when you are round it. I live round the corner from the A682 which is part of the run upto settle and Devils Bridge at Kirby Lonsdale and it it classed as one of the most dangerous roads in the country. These statistics are bumped up by all the bikers who go into the corners too fast and end up on the other side of the road and having a head on with a car.
    Last but not least dont be pressured to go faster when you get another bike behind you, just wave em past. Let them pinball up the road overtaking just before bends etc narrowly missing a head on with another car then cutting up another car.

Thank Post
    Cheers for the advice! I've def been taking it easy round bends etc anyway until I feel a bit more confident but I'll get there!

Thank Post
    What ever the worse possible thing you can expect a car to do they generally do 50% of the time in my experience. They will either not see you or completely misjudge you speed from a rolling/standing start. If you are passing a junction where someone may pull out make sure you are nearer the centre of the road so they have a better chance of spotting you and cover your brake.
    I'm sure he wouldn't mind so the guy I am getting the bike from has a blog that he puts up vids from his helmet cam on (such a cool bit of kit!) http://www.qwerf.com/?cat=5 Shows some near misses on his daily ride. Makes you think long and hard and proves what you say!

Take it easy going into corners!!!! You can always speed up coming out of it when you are round it. I live round the corner from the A682 which is part of the run upto settle and Devils Bridge at Kirby Lonsdale and it it classed as one of the most dangerous roads in the country. These statistics are bumped up by all the bikers who go into the corners too fast and end up on the other side of the road and having a head on with a car.
    Learnt this the interesting way. On my training went for a spin on some of the country roads at the back of Worthing. First time I'd been on country roads so was attempting to take it easy but one corner took me slightly by surprise. The instructor says I went in at a perfect speed but where I wasn't confident of course thought it was all going to go wrong so started to brake and looked for an escape route and we all know where that ends up. Cue me going up a track, on to the verge & stopping just short of a lovely hedge while taking deep breaths. I think the examiner was almost as shocked as I was. Greatly extended my understanding of target fixation and taking corners slowly until I am more confident.

Ta for the advice though, good tips.

Thank Post
    Also braking too much tends to bring the bike upright which isnt desirable in some situations. The other thing worth mentioning about brakes which you will have been taught is not to grab the brake lever hard. You will lock the front wheel and down you go. This goes against your instincts but you have to train yourself to do it gradually at first like your emergency stops you practiced.
    I generally brake with 2 fingers then apply them all as more pressure is needed. You get done for doing that on your test though. You can go on training course as well where they teach you to ride off with the brake on until you get a feel for when you should ease off slightly to avoid locking the wheel.
    Last edited by ChrisH; 3rd March 2008 at 05:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Must invest in some thermal inner gloves I think. Thumbs felt like they were going to drop off when I got to work this morning! Not nice!

Thank Post
    That wont do you any good you need some heated grips The other thing as well is its not just the cold that make your fingertips numb it's the vibration on the handlebars as well.
    Just dont do what someone I know did and get a heated jacket/gloves/pants etc etc. He killed his battery and had to be rescued

Thank Post
    Ohhh my training bike had heated grips and I was sold on them within the first 5 mins!

At least he was warm while waiting to be rescued........ oh. Never mind.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast