+ Post New Thread
Other Stuff Thread, Looking to buy a flat screen tv in Fun Stuff; As the title suggests I'm looking for a 22"-24" flat screen tv to replace the old (18-19 years old) crt ...

Thank Post

Looking to buy a flat screen tv

As the title suggests I'm looking for a 22"-24" flat screen tv to replace the old (18-19 years old) crt which has developed a green cast over the past few weeks. I think most new tv's come with Freeview these days so do any of you who have gone through this process lately have any reccommendations? I'm not really looking for HD ready unless they dramatically improve the picture quality of a standard signal. This is going to be a second tv. As I suffer from tinnitus sound quality should also be pretty good, or possibly the ability to add external speakers.

Thank Post
    When we changed to flat screen we were going for a 26" because we thought 32" would be too big. But there was a lot more choice and better pricing on the bigger sets. The guy who sold it to us said go for the larger set, after a couple of days we wouldn't notice the size. He was absolutely right, I think we would have regretted going for the 26" now. I appreciate that the size of your room might make a difference.

I think mosts sets with built in Freeview will be HD as well. Not that it is a factor because I assume if Freeview does offer HD channels, you will need a new receiver to take advantage of them. Maybe you could get a cheaper set without a receiver and a HDD recorder that has Freeview.

I think I would also recommend a known brand. Panasonic or Sony. You can get separate sound systems to suit your needs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    any of you who have gone through this process lately have any reccommendations?
    For my girlfriend's flat we simply picked up a TV from Sainsbury's. £180 for a 24" widescreen TV with Freeview, and no salesperson to try and flog you an extended garuntee or make delivery complicated, you simply stick it in your shopping trolley along with your tea. It also takes VGA and PC sound input, so I'm using it as a computer screen to type this right now. Colour (constrast?) seems a bit strange when used as a monitor, and the built-in speakers are never going to match a proper dedicated sound system, but it all works just fine for what we use it for.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    As the title suggests I'm looking for a 22"-24" flat screen tv to replace the old (18-19 years old) crt which has developed a green cast over the past few weeks. I think most new tv's come with Freeview these days so do any of you who have gone through this process lately have any reccommendations? I'm not really looking for HD ready unless they dramatically improve the picture quality of a standard signal. This is going to be a second tv. As I suffer from tinnitus sound quality should also be pretty good, or possibly the ability to add external speakers.
    agree with laserblazer's comments. the bigger the better, you really won't notice the increased size once it's in situ and you start watching. 32" should be a minimum, although you might be better off with a 37".

I'd definitely go with external speakers. We went with a budget samsung model, connected to cable, picture is acceptable. The freeview receiver on it was fine. the budget end of the 32" TV's seems to be £350-£400.

Thank Post
    Because of limited space I'm restricted to 22"-24" models. I appreciate that bigger would be better, but it just won't fit, having spent some time measuring diagonals in Currys/Comet.

Thank Post
    The gadget show did a review of small LCDs a couple of weeks ago:

FiveFWD - The Gadget Show's Small LCD TVs best buys

Thank Post
    I got a Sense 32" off ebuyer.com, and have never looked back. It's got all the inputs I could want and sound just goes to my 5.1 system.

It seems to be as robust (if not more) than any of the 'major' brands, and between me and my roomates we have a JVC, Sony, and Samsung. Oh and on top of that they rip off the Samsung look (without the silly buttons the Samsung has)

I bought mine as a ex-show model and if your on a limited budget it's the way to go (£270 for mine).

26" - £240 - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/166531
    32" - £320 - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/168081
    37" - £399 - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159450 (without the Samsung 'look')

p.s I find Gadget Show to be so so when it comes to consumer advice... They never seem to look at the true budget alternatives.

Oh and you'll stuggle to find a tv thats not 'HD Ready'
    Last edited by mossj; 31st August 2009 at 10:11 PM.

Thank Post
    I'd recommend Panasonic - they have a really lovely picture compared to others I've seen.

Thank Post

Talking 32" LCD HD with built in DVD £230

Check out Money Saving Expert as last weeks deals had a TV (which I had never heard the make of before hence) for £230 at Morrisons (Buy in Store only). The TV had a built in UK region DVD player, and had 2 HDMI Sockets. The size of the TV was a 32" with a black and silver frame. Wasn't a Sony Bravia but amazingly cheap for a new TV with 12 Month Warranty.

Thank Post
    I would go for HD now. Blueray players etc.

Equally you could simply get a monitor and one of these

Convert PC Monitor to TV - £55.99 : Random, Funky, Novelty, Funny Gifts in UK - Birthday Gift Ideas

Thank Post

Red face Sound System

If you are using a monitor though as a television, you will have to make sure that you purchase or connect up if you already have one a sound system or purchase a monitor with built in sound, as you may have a picture (all well and good) but sound obviously is vital.

Thank Post
    I'd get one from Richer Sounds who seem to have some ridiculous deals going on at the moment. Would also slap on the extended warranty, which besides being dirt cheap for the coverage, will be refunded if you don't use it during the warranty period.

Thank Post
    [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LE26B450C4-26-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B001UE8LUQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]This [/ame]is what I settled on eventually, though the price was actually £293.99. It's a little bigger than I originally intended but it will fit the space. Ordered it last night (Tuesday) at 22:00 and it will be delivered on Saturday.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread