+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Other Stuff Thread, Do we have any photographers? in Fun Stuff; I'm really interested in getting into photography as a hobby. Have got a pretty decent Canon Ixus, but would really ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Do we have any photographers?

I'm really interested in getting into photography as a hobby.

Have got a pretty decent Canon Ixus, but would really like a DSLR. Does anybody have any advice or can recommend a good camera for a beginner. I might ask Santa to get me one
    Last edited by Little-Miss; 20th October 2008 at 10:41 PM.

Thank Post
    I learned my craft on a Canon EOS 350D, but I'm not sure if it's still available. Its bigger brothers are the 400D and 450D.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    I went for a Canon 400D and I am quite happy with it. A photographer friend advised me that if I was starting out from scratch go for a Canon as the lenses were cheaper than their Nikon equivalents.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Let use know what you go for in the end please

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As someone who started their working life as a photographer in a commercial studio, it's got to be Nikon everytime for a DSLR. If you can stretch to the lower middle range price wise you'll never look back. The lenses are superb too and VR (vibration reduction) is a must.

I'd go for something like the D80.

Thank Post
    Another vote for Canon xxxD series - I have an ancient 300D which has served me well on 2 trips to africa. Probably the 350D is still available cheaply now it has been superceded by the 400 and 450, but it is still a great camera. See if you can make room in the budget for another lens tho - something like the canon 55-250IS would be a good place to start.

Also:
    Camera Price Buster - UKs cheapest camera gear

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Canon cameras suck I'm afraid. A triumph of hype over substance. It's gotta be NIKON!

Thank Post
    I'm no photographer but I do have a Sony Alpha 200. Nice little DSLR imho. I couldn't afford a NIKON so I call it a "poor man's nikon"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Canon cameras suck I'm afraid. A triumph of hype over substance. It's gotta be NIKON!
    Wondered how long it would take for the nikon fan boys to come out Canon vs Nikon is like PC vs Mac.

Another vote for Canon. Got a 350D ant it takes some amazing images, even using the kit 18-55 lense.
    Last edited by SYSMAN_MK; 21st October 2008 at 09:12 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Completely 100% disagree. I've gone from a Canon FTb to a Canon F1 to a Canon 350D and all are superb. The build quality is brilliant, and featureset for the price is excellent.

Lenses are cheaper than other brands, and for the average DSLR user you don't need anything more.

Plus Canons are heavier - which I prefer.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON NIKON

Thank Post
    I have used both. There are advantages to both. You will not notice these (one vs. t'other) unless you are really serious about one aspect of photography, in which case, you'll be able to make up your own mind (eg. the canon is supposed to be the superior system for landscape, nikon for sport).

The *big* difference for me tho was the lenses available and the price. That's where to make your decision. One of the factors for me was Canon's "thrifty fifty" - the 50mm f1.8 for £60. You won't get near f1.8 for twice that price on nikon. OTOH, canon are only just catching up to Nikon's 18-250VR in terms of bang for buck. I also find that the canon 2nd-hand and 3rd-party lens market is better.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    I have used both. There are advantages to both. You will not notice these (one vs. t'other) unless you are really serious about one aspect of photography, in which case, you'll be able to make up your own mind (eg. the canon is supposed to be the superior system for landscape, nikon for sport).

The *big* difference for me tho was the lenses available and the price. That's where to make your decision. One of the factors for me was Canon's "thrifty fifty" - the 50mm f1.8 for £60. You won't get near f1.8 for twice that price on nikon. OTOH, canon are only just catching up to Nikon's 18-250VR in terms of bang for buck. I also find that the canon 2nd-hand and 3rd-party lens market is better.
    I agree.

Thank Post
    there's also this review

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information